Product recommendation help

Status
Not open for further replies.

wells0td

Premium Subscriber
It has been a long time since I was involved in scanning and I am looking to get back into it. My old scanner does not handle APCO-25 so I know I need to replace it as all of the cities, military, police, agencies, etc in my area have converted over.

I have been programming computers for over 25 years so I am leaning towards a reciever that can be fully controlled or intergrated into a PC. That would also give me to capability to use the gads of audio post processing software I have on recordings much easier. (seperate discussion, i digress. back to the question...)

So far, I haven't been able to find a good suggestion on a workable setup. The one that looks like it does what I want would be the winradio g315e or i however the reviews here on the site do not seem to favor it.

And as always, while not a deal killer, cost is a consideration. I'd probably get in trouble if I sold one of the kids to pay for it.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Beyond WinRadio, I don't believe there are any integrated scanners (besides, this is just a nit - Winradios are receivers that scan, really not a scanner per se). However, most all of the P25 scanners can be interfaced with software that can log and record audio, and some that can even be controlled remotely.

No one can see where you are (no location in your profile), so it's hard to recommend something. However we have a forum for each state; I would start with a little research in that forum to see what people are using in your area. We also have a list of scanning-related regional Yahoo groups that would be another source of possible information. (note that anything in blue or underlined is a link)

http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/US_Scanning_Mailing_Lists

73 Mike

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.