• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thhmike03

Hi. I am new to the whole programing world. I bought a Motorola xts3000. I also bought the astro saber & xts 3000 CPS software version R05.03.00. I am using the original motorola programing cables for the xts3000 with a RIB box. I have the serial port plugged into a serial to usb adapter. The firmware for the adapter has been downloaded. I went to read device the only options i have is com 6, 7, 8, or 9. When i select the com it tells me "communication with radio failed." My laptop has windows 8.1. If anyone can help me please let me know

Nasby

Skypilot is right. You need Windows XP.

Also, a computer with a real serial port (not a USB adapter) will help too.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
Skypilot is right. You need Windows XP.

Also, a computer with a real serial port (not a USB adapter) will help too.

You don't need Windows XP.

As long as you are using a later revision of Astro programming CPS you can use Windows 98, Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows Vista or Windows 7 as long as they are 32 bit operating systems. A real com port helps but what helps even more is telling you USB adapter to be Com 1-4.

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
You can use the Control Panel/Device Manager/Properties/Advanced menu to reassign your USB "Com Port" to be 1, 2, 3 or 4 as needed.

thhmike03

Update

Ok I have an update. I bought a version of windows XP. I have installed it with no issues. Now every time I open the application it says the system cannot find the file specified. Does anyone have any ideas for help

marcotor

I ♥ÆS Ø
Feed Provider
Which serial to usb adapter are you using? Some of those can be wonky, and for many of them if they have Prolific chipsets, the 3.2.0.0 driver appears to work better than the newer versions (depending on the chipset, of course!).

thhmike03

I am using Manhattan serial to usb adapter. The new issue is that when I use the software on windows xp, it tells me files cannot be specified.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
You need a windows XP machine with a true serial port. No adapter. Some USB/serial adapters work, most do not.

Quality adapters if the need for an adapter is present. Tripp-Lite makes a good one…works with Astro on 32 bit windows 7.

Status
Not open for further replies.