• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Programing UV-5R with Mac

Status
Not open for further replies.

Firefox89

Premium Subscriber
Anybody have any recommendations to program the UV-5R with Mac computers? I downloaded chirp, and connect the radio to the computer following the instructions, I have the cable provided with the radio which is the one I need… any other ideas?

elraval

Anybody have any recommendations to program the UV-5R with Mac computers? I downloaded chirp, and connect the radio to the computer following the instructions, I have the cable provided with the radio which is the one I need… any other ideas?
But... Did it work?

Sent from my Xylophone using Tapatalk...

Firefox89

Premium Subscriber
Obviously not, but my friend had used it prior to program the same radio but his was a Windows computer. Could that be the problem?

elraval

Sorry... Just feeling funny.

CHIRP and the Baofeng cable worked fine with me on both Windows and Linux machines. Even an old computer running Lubuntu.

Maybe running CHIRP in Linux or Windows under VMWare would do the trick? I was able to get some other serial interfaces recognised before.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
Programming

The driver that works with Windows and the cable will not work on a mac. I have a collection of over 50 radios, and none of the software works on mac. Some even require 32 bit Windows or even DOS. You either need a program like Parallels or buy a Windows XP or Windows 7 32 bit computer for the best results. Even Windows 10 causes many problems with drivers.

elraval

My main machine is a 64 bit Windows 10. Cable and CHIRP run fine there. Don't recall if I had any driver issues when first installing it. I remember just followed all the instructions in www.miklor.com

Don't know about other cables and serial interfaces. UV5R is my only radio... Still listening.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
Some drivers do work in 10, but many older ones don't. It is a combination of factors Check the forums and you will see plenty of frustrated users with driver problems.

drayd48

I have tried to use Chirp with my mac and it does just not upload and download to the radio. It works great on my windows computer though.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
Ok so it's the Mac that's the problem. Thanks everybody.

OSX doesn't have support for the driver in the Kernel. Linux does but it's not in the Unix kernel. You need a driver to get it to work. I had it once upon a time on my Macbook but I haven't touched one of those radios now in 3 or 4 years.

I preferred doing my Chirp programming in Linux...doesn't care about the chipset, pulls the right driver everytime.

Firefox89

Premium Subscriber
Ok, I have an old slow as doc Windows computer I will just program chirp into to do it. It will be easier that way anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.