Programming a bearcat bc125at

Status
Not open for further replies.

wb88

Hello, I recently purchased a Uniden Bearcat BC125AT, its my first scanner, and I can't seem to figure out or find how to make the first step in programming. I live in a pretty simple area, I'm not sure if that matters. Really I just want to figure out how to program it for local police/fire. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

sean808080

Premium Subscriber
Hey WB88 and others:

I just picked up a BC125AT from Radio Shack on Black Friday for $99. What a nice little scanner. This was to replace an old Radio Shack Pro-9x trunking scanner I've had for years.

The new features make it a worthwhile upgrade. The price on Black Friday was about half of what I paid for the old RS scanner.

I do have to say the new user experience should be better. Opening the box, and pushing the SCAN button should not result in ALL LOCKED OUT. That's a FAIL in my opinion.

Also, I was unable to get anywhere without opening the manual. That's also not a good user experience. Giving in and reading the manual from front to back enabled me to start using the scanner to it's potential.

Good luck with your new scanner. It's worth the time/energy put in.

Cheers
@sean808080

NHdave

Premium Subscriber
I do have to say the new user experience should be better. Opening the box, and pushing the SCAN button should not result in ALL LOCKED OUT. That's a FAIL in my opinion.

Did your "old Radio Shack Pro-9x trunking scanner I've had for years" scan right out of the box? No, you had to program it, so why is it a fail now but it wasn't then?

Also, I was unable to get anywhere without opening the manual. That's also not a good user experience.

Seriously? Something as complicated as todays scanners requires some knowledge to get working, it's not much different than any other hobby. Can you sit down and knit if you've never done it before? Nope. You would have been really upset if you'd been scanning back in the 70's and early 80's, it was impossible to scan right out of the box, you had to purchase more equipment (in the form of crystals) to get a new scanner to do anything.

Last edited:

SquierStrat

i also just purchased this during the black friday sale. Without even touching the manual, i was able to figure out how to program it.

Press Hold (if all channels are locked out, i believe you can skip this step)
Use the selector knob on top to scroll to the channel you want to program
press the PGM button (func+E)

and that takes you to the menu that has pretty much everything you could want to program in to a channel.

OR, use the programming cable it came with, along with the free programming software found in here:BC125AT - The RadioReference Wiki

(the link to the software isnt working at this exact moment, but if you'd like, i'd be more then happy to email you the file)

Last edited:

Swipesy

I purchased one today, downloaded the software and cut and pasted from Excel train, mil air, marine and some VHF freq. Now all I need is for the scanner to be delivered. I don't know if the scanners come with the latest firmware so you should check to see if you have the latest. You can get the firmware update here -

BC125AT < UnidenMan4 < TWiki

Flipdave

New Radioshack BC125AT

To WB88 and Others
I'm in the same boat; just got my BC125AT today, and my first scanner. Makes you do a little head scratching at first. Did get the programming software downloaded, installed and working. Still need to do a lot of reading before I will feel the least bit confident!

Status
Not open for further replies.