Programming a pro 197

Status
Not open for further replies.

Csb41502

I'm new to scanners. I had a bearcat analog that was easy enough to use. I have no idea what I'm doing with this one. How do I know it's a p25? How do I correctly put in the frequencies to listen to them? I put in a few but not correctly. The bearcat will pick them up but not this one.

flythunderbird

Feed Provider
Welcome! :D The easiest way to do it is using software such as Win500, PSREdit500, and Arc500. This page will help you get started:

Getting Started with your GRE/RS Object Oriented Scanner - The RadioReference Wiki

All of the software packages are user-friendly and have a trial period, so download them and give them a try. I use Win500.

Note that if you decide to use the software, you will need a programming cable for your 197:

https://whistlergroup.com/collectio...products/pc-interface-cable-for-ws1040-ws1065

Having a RadioReference premium subscription will also help. Such a subscription will allow you to download frequencies, systems, talkgroups, etc. directly into the software.

You may also find the Easier-To-Read manual a good reference:

Easier to Read Pro-651/652/106/197 - WS1040/1065 - PSR 500/600 Digital Scanner Manual

Copious use of the search function on these forums will also be a big help. Digital scanners can be confusing, but don't give up! You'll find it a lot of fun! :cool:

Last edited:

Csb41502

I'm going to order the cable. But until that comes in can I get any tips on how program the frequencies in the right way and all the settings

brennin

BillGuy

You need to identify which agencies you wish to scan and then determine which system they operate on. ( Motorola 800, Project 25 phase 1 or phase 2 etc. Heads up... The Pro 197 will not decode project 25 phase 2 signals. I have a Pro 197, and its a good scanner. The county I live in migrated to P 25 Phase 2 for fire/ems & law about a year ago, so now I can only use it to monitor analog simulcast dispatches. ( bummer ). The arc 500 software is pretty easy to use. Take some time with this. Study the owners manual and videos. Good luck.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
And once again, the Getting Started article has links at the bottom for the Easier to Read guide as well as for ARC500 and Win500 user manuals.

Don't be afraid of the wiki - it won't bite.

Much

Mike

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
How or where do I find what system they run on?

Look at our database and see - look up toward the left under the site title, you see 'DATABASES' on the blue toolbar. Float your mouse or click it, select Frequency database, then use the pulldowns and maps to get to your area.

Mike

brennin

BillGuy

At the top of the page click databases, click on your state, and then your county. You will see all available systems and freqs.

wyShack

Premium Subscriber
If you could include in your post your location (city or county and state) and then tell us what you want to hear, the group can be much more helpful. BTW I have a Pro197 and hand program it quite a bit. It is object based unlike the old style which were based on 'banks'. It will take getting used to, but not that hard.

Welcome aboard

Not a bad idea to put your location in your profile -knowing where you are helps the group answer many questions you may have. With it in your profile it saves typing it in and/or forgetting to supply it.

Last edited:

brennin

BillGuy

Csb41502: Looking at the db for Newberry Co., S.C., it apprears there are no talk groups or analog freqs. that relate specifically to the city of Whitmire. The closest reference appears to be to the Co. of Newberry. Your Pro 197 should be able to scan the Palmetto 800 system talk groups if any of them interest you. Here is where the arc 500 software can save you a lot of headach. You will also see several analog freqs. for fire, ems, & sheriff that may interest you. The analog freqs. are much easier to manually program than is the Palmetto 800 system. If you don't have a manual for the Pro 197, it is online It has instructions on how to manually enter analog freqs..Study that first & take time to think about it Good Luck !

wyShack

Premium Subscriber
Csb41502-

For now I would just program the Palmetto 800 system in by "hand". To program the TSYS (system) you just need to input the frequencies for the Newberry tower that are control or alternates. then program a 'wildcard' talk group. That should get you started.

Conventional frequencies are simple to program. Just remember everything will by default go into scanlist 1. You can thing of scanlists like the old 'banks' -except a channel or talk group can be in multiple scan lists( Yes kinda backwards to the 'old' way). A 'wildcard' talk group will 'hear' everything-by watching the display you can see the talk group ID's and either hit store or program them in manually. After you get the talk groups of interest programmed, you can 'lock out' the wildcard if you prefer.

After a few days, you will likely wan to organize things by changing each 'objects' scanlist so you can turn lists 'off' and 'on' depending on what you want to hear. The software will help a bunch but I did things by hand for a couple of months before I purchased Win500-mostly so I could import directly form the RR database and program the scanner.

It is a bit of a learning curve but not rocket science. Have fun and never stop learning

Last edited:

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Help Offered

I'm new to scanners. I had a bearcat analog that was easy enough to use. I have no idea what I'm doing with this one. How do I know it's a p25? How do I correctly put in the frequencies to listen to them? I put in a few but not correctly. The bearcat will pick them up but not this one.

I would be happy to program your radio and send a file that I would help you load. However, in order to do this, it would require you to download one of the several software programming for that radio. I am talking about Win500. It is free for a thirty-day trial.

Having said this, I would be interested in getting you started. Sometimes, when I have offered, people have asked me to program entire statewide radio systems. I am not going to do this. But, if you can tell me the county and what you want to hear, I would be happy to program your radio for you. Also, if you happen to know someone with a similar radio, I could send the file to them via email and they could actually clone your radio.

Let me know.

Last edited:

Csb41502

That help would be great. We mainly want police. Fire. Rescue. Sheriff. On our old 1 we were also able to hear Whitmire public works I guess it would be. It would be Whitmire SC and Newberry county. Email is csb41502@yahoo.com

Csb41502

I called a local place that programs scanners. He told me me that in a few weeks they are going to a palmetto 800 system and all scanners can't pick any of it up. Is this true? If not now I'm completely lost again

wyShack

Premium Subscriber
You can monitor the Palimeto 800 system with your Pro 197. PM me if you would like step by step instructions. This is the system I mentioned in my earlier reply.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.