Programming Cable For RadioShack Scanners

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unlimited

I bought I programming cable today and when I tried to installed it I can't. I have Windows Vista and it doesn't go by what the instructions say. And its says don't let it auto choose a driver for it because it won't work. How can I get that to work on my laptop.

Here Is What Comes Up On The CD For Windows Vista:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Win Vista

*64 Bit (Following Is In That Folder)

*CDM 2.00.00 Release Info
*FTBUSUI.dll
*ftcserco.dll
*FDT2XX.dll
*FDT2XX.H
*FDT2XX.lib
*FDT2XX64.dll
*FDT2XX64.lib
*ftdibus
*FTDIBUS
*FTDIBUS.sys
*ftdiport
*FTDIPORT
*FTDUN2K
*FTDIUNIN
*FTLang.dll
*ftser2k.sys
*ftserui2.dll

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What One Is The Driver that I need?

And The Options that come up when I plug in the USB Cord are:
*Locate and Install Driver (instructions say DO NOT use this)
*Ask Me Again Later
*Don't Show This Message For This Device

Thats All there Is when I have the CD in and plug the cord in.

Evert

Do the followiing for a no muss no fuss installation ot the drivers:

Disconnect the programming cable from both the computer and scanner.

Download and then run this file from FTDI, the manufacturer of the chips on the cable: http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/CDM/CDM 2.04.16.exe

Plug in the programming cable to your computer. You should see a notification that the cable has been found and shortly afterwards a notification that it is ready for use.

During the process the notifications will indicate which com port it is using or you can go to the Device Manager and see the port number. Make sure you are using that port number in your software.

After drivers finish installing, insert the plug into the scanner (Do not use the short adapter cable for most RadioShack scanners.)

The above will work for both 32 and 64 bit versions of XP and Vista

Last edited:

Unlimited

Do the followiing for a no muss no fuss installation ot the drivers:

Disconnect the programming cable from both the computer and scanner.

Download and then run this file from FTDI, the manufacturer of the chips on the cable: http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/CDM/CDM 2.04.16.exe

Plug in the programming cable to your computer. You should see a notification that the cable has been found and shortly afterwards a notification that it is ready for use.

During the process the notifications will indicate which com port it is using or you can go to the Device Manager and see the port number. Make sure you are using that port number in your software.

After drivers finish installing, insert the plug into the scanner (Do not use the short adapter cable for most RadioShack scanners.)

The above will work for both 32 and 64 bit versions of XP and Vista

Ok, I did that and now when I plug in the USB cord all that comes up is "Safely Remove Hardware". Is that right? And is there anything thats supposed to pop up when I plug my scanner in?

Evert

I don’t think the Safely Remove Hardware notification is related to the USB programming cable – on mine I only see that if I have a flash drive attached.

My Pro-97 and Pro-164 shows the following on their screens when I insert the cable plug into them:

** CLONE MODE **
Press UP to send
Remove cable to
exit

I don’t know what the Pro-106 would show.

Don’t press any keys on your scanner but you do need to turn it on and then go to your software to upload or download your data.

Last edited:

mikey60

Ok, I did that and now when I plug in the USB cord all that comes up is "Safely Remove Hardware". Is that right? And is there anything thats supposed to pop up when I plug my scanner in?

The Safely Remove Hardware icon is just a way to shut down an external piece of hardware (in this case, the USB cable) before disconnecting it from the computer. That's completely normal for that to appear when the cable is plugged in.

When you connect the cable to the scanner, nothing will change as the PRO-106 has the ability to be controlled over the serial port. The process to upload your data to the scanner or download the data from the scanner depends on the software you are using, but that's where the transfer would be initiated, not from the scanner keypad.

Mike

Evert

The problem with using the CD shown in the video is that the drivers are out of date and it is difficult for some to go through the steps of browsing for locations and making choices correctly.

The link to the FTDI installer I posted above has the latest drivers and all you have to do is run the installer. The installer will automatically detect your operating system, choose the right set of drivers, clear off any old drivers and install the new ones.

When you plug the cable into the computer, after the installer is finished, the drivers will automatically finish installing without you having to do any browsing for locations etc.

The method is truly no muss no fuss and works for new installations and for updating existing outdated drivers.

Note - works for the following operating systems:

Windows Server 2008
Windows Server 2008 x64
Windows Vista
Windows Vista x64
Windows XP
Windows XP x64
Windows 2000
Windows Server 2003
Windows Server 2003 x64

Last edited:
Status