• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Programming costs for MTS2000

Status
Not open for further replies.

ki4ucb

Just bought a used MTS2000 (Model III) in the UHF band. The shop from which I bought it programmed sixteen (16) channels of my choice for me at no charge, but I know I'm gonna need to have more in there soon.
As I'm not comfortable with doing my own programming on this thing (I'm used to Icoms and Yaesus), I'm gonna have to bring it to an authorised Motorola dealer/service facility to have the work done. Unfortunately, the prices most shops in my area (Orlando FL) charge is outrageous: One nearby quoted $25 for anywhere from one to 25 channels, higher from there; another quoted $1.50 per channel (OUCH!).
Does anyone know of an authorised Moto shop that won't gouge me to program my radio?
Much thanks and 73s to all...
Joshua KI4UCB

RRSINC

Feed Provider
I don't know of any in your area, but wanted to say $25 to program 25 Channels is a pretty decent deal atleast in my area.

I use to work for a large Motorola Dealer and we charged $35 for 16 Channels and then $1 for each additional channel over that. If someone was having like 255 channels programmed then we would charge by the hour instead which was $125 per hour.

methusaleh

I would just approach one of the techs at the shop and see if they would be willing to do it "after hours" in lieu of a case of beer or some Chinese takeout or something...works for me!

N4DES

Retired 0598 Czar ÆS Ø
Just bought a used MTS2000 (Model III) in the UHF band. The shop from which I bought it programmed sixteen (16) channels of my choice for me at no charge, but I know I'm gonna need to have more in there soon.
As I'm not comfortable with doing my own programming on this thing (I'm used to Icoms and Yaesus), I'm gonna have to bring it to an authorised Motorola dealer/service facility to have the work done. Unfortunately, the prices most shops in my area (Orlando FL) charge is outrageous: One nearby quoted $25 for anywhere from one to 25 channels, higher from there; another quoted $1.50 per channel (OUCH!).
Does anyone know of an authorised Moto shop that won't gouge me to program my radio?
Much thanks and 73s to all...
Joshua KI4UCB

To be honest...I think those prices are very reasonable and really how many channels are you looking to put into the radio? I don't think there are that many UHF repeaters in Orlando, or at least not as many that are in the Miami/Fort Lauderdale area.

I have heard of quotes starting at $300.00 to program a radio from scratch so even if you do 50 modes at $1.50 per channel you will be way ahead of the game.

Whatever you decide, make sure you check and double check the information you give to them on an Excel spreadsheet and as for an archive of the codeplug that was programmed into the radio so just in case something happens to it all it would take is a "clone" to reprogram it.

ki4ucb

> I think those prices are very reasonable and really how many channels are you
> looking to put into the radio? I don't think there are that many UHF repeaters in
> Orlando, or at least not as many that are in the Miami/Fort Lauderdale area.

I was going to put about 25 more channels, but not all are in the Orlando area (some are New York, some are Boston area, and a few are in Oregon).

> I have heard of quotes starting at $300.00 to program a radio from scratch so
> even if you do 50 modes at $1.50 per channel you will be way ahead of the game.

Yeah, I'm finding that out more and more as the days go by.

> Whatever you decide, make sure you check and double check the information you
> give to them on an Excel spreadsheet and as for an archive of the codeplug that
> was programmed into the radio so just in case something happens to it all it would
> take is a "clone" to reprogram it.

I have the entire channel "line-up" printed up (and proof-read three times), and will give it to the tech when I finally have the work done. And as for the codeplug info, thank you very much. I'll have to ask them about that.

I guess I'm gonna just have to "bite the financial bullet" when I have the work done.

ramal121

Lots and lots of watts
Premium Subscriber
> I have the entire channel "line-up" printed up (and proof-read three times), and will give it to the tech when I finally have the work done.

And after it is programmed, ask for a printout of the program archive. Proof read it right away and make sure there are no mistakes. If there are and you have waited too long, the dealer may declare "out of warranty".

b7spectra

EMS Dispatcher
I'll do it for $25 no matter how many channels, no matter what you want (public safety unless with letter will be receive only). You pay shipping. Would that be a deal for you? Only problem is I'm in Georgia, but have plenty of satisfied customers US wide!

RKG

I would just approach one of the techs at the shop and see if they would be willing to do it "after hours" in lieu of a case of beer or some Chinese takeout or something...works for me!

We'll overlook that what you're asking the employee to do is to violate his duty of loyalty to his employer.

alexprice00

I'll do it for $25 no matter how many channels, no matter what you want (public safety unless with letter will be receive only). You pay shipping. Would that be a deal for you? Only problem is I'm in Georgia, but have plenty of satisfied customers US wide!

I have a MTS2000 800Mhz that I am trying to have programmed with Sacramento County Law enforcement agencys.

b7spectra

EMS Dispatcher
No can do. You have to have authorization for access into their TRS, so if you want to be able to have your MTS set up for the SC TRS, you need to contact them.

Status
Not open for further replies.