Programming Files Into PSR 500

Status
Not open for further replies.

btritch

I am supposed to get GRE PSR 500 tomarrow sometime, I have all my files in win 500 program ready to load in what are called "V' folders or "Scan Files" and here's my question.. If I open all of them, Do I have to go to each folder and upload it or just hit upload and it will upload all of them at once? Any help/replies will be appreciated...

DonS

btritch said:
I am supposed to get GRE PSR 500 tomarrow sometime, I have all my files in win 500 program ready to load in what are called "V' folders or "Scan Files" and here's my question.. If I open all of them, Do I have to go to each folder and upload it or just hit upload and it will upload all of them at once?
If you're planning on programming several files into the PSR-500's "V-Folders", you can do them all at one time. You'd do it via Win500's "Virtual Scanner" feature on the "Scanner" menu. Click the "Write" checkbox for each V-Folder you want to upload, and you'll be prompted for the P500 file to upload into each folder.

btritch

OK! That's what I wanted to know! I was hoping there was a shortcut! I tried to select to port which I think is 6, That's why my win 97 is anyway, I tried that and tired the Virtual Scanner feature, It tells me the port doesn't exist, I suppose it's because the scanner is not hooked up, At least I'll know how anyway when the time comes tomarrow afternoon. I have everything ready to go, all I am waiting on now is UPS, Now, How do I select from one V Folder to another on the scanner, Such as entering different counties, Close one and open another, I hope it's simple, I have 75 of them.. Anyone know?

Last edited:

DonS

You wouldn't want to have each of those 75 "counties" in separate files, because you can only load 21 V-Scanner files into the scanner at once. Instead, you'd likely want to create V-Scanner files that are based on geography...

Each V-Scanner file might have a set of data that is specific to a particular geographic region, but contains multiple trunking systems and/or sets of conventional channels. You'd load V-Scanner files within the radio as you move between geographic regions.

Within a geographic region (and its corresponding V-Scanner file), you'd turn on or off various trunking systems, talkgroups, or sets of conventional channels by toggling their "scan lists" - however you have those arranged.

btritch

It's all By Troop - Statewide

OK, Let me try to explain this situation here, I'm in Arkansas, We have the AWIN (Arkansas Wireless Information Network) System going on here in the state, Most of the state uses it, There are some statewide comms like FEMA etc. But it's based on each State Police Troop (There are 12, A-L) and I have all the counties in each troop, conventional, trunked, and digital trunked in different banks 1-10.. However, A-L I have set up as a different V Folder.. Therefore, I only have 12 V Folders, Then I have one for Missouri (My Part, Bootheel) so I'd have 13 V Folders, I just don't know how to switch from one to another using the radio. I've looked at a manual and it went "Whoosh" over my head. I've heard it's two keys but I'm not sure...

Does that make any sense at all?? Did I set it up right? How would I switch "V-Folders" per troop, etc.

btritch

DonS said:
If you're planning on programming several files into the PSR-500's "V-Folders", you can do them all at one time. You'd do it via Win500's "Virtual Scanner" feature on the "Scanner" menu. Click the "Write" checkbox for each V-Folder you want to upload, and you'll be prompted for the P500 file to upload into each folder.

I went to the scanner menu on win 500, Opened the virtual scanner box, When I went to save my p500 files to it it gave me a "BUTTLOAD" of error messages..Are they saved wrong? In the wrong place? I have them saved as 500 files though, Would it matter where their saved? Do I have to change something on the radio, I have my area programmed in now but can't figure that out for the rest of the areas, How do I fix it giving me error messages? Anyone know? Thanks!

NEVER MIND! I GOT IT! I WASN'T CHECKING THE WRITE CHECKBOX...NOW, If I want to go back and edit my area and add the others, Can I just hit Upload To Scanner again or do I have to delete the current file somehow.?

Last edited:

DonS

btritch said:
NOW, If I want to go back and edit my area and add the others, Can I just hit Upload To Scanner again or do I have to delete the current file somehow.?
If you want to change what's stored in a V-Scanner folder, you'll need to edit the corresponding P500 file then re-upload via the V-Scanner interface in Win500. You can do one folder at a time (no need to upload all 20, or however many you've created).

btritch

How would you go back and save them on at a time? Just write that one? and none of the others, I know on my 97 everytime I reupload it erases the previous data..

DonS

btritch said:
How would you go back and save them on at a time? Just write that one? and none of the others, I know on my 97 everytime I reupload it erases the previous data..
I was referring to uploading V-Scanner folders. You can do those one at a time (where each V-Scanner folder is an entire P500 file).

If you want to add data to or change data in an existing file, either a V-Scanner folder or the scanner's main memory, you have to edit the corresponding file, then re-upload that entire file.

For example, if I had a P500 file to which I wanted to add a new trunking system, I'd open that file and add the new system. Then I'd either "upload to scanner" (if I wanted it in the scanner's main memory), or I'd write it to a V-Scanner folder (if that was the desired destination).

DonS

btritch said:
OK, I think i'm following this, LOL
Here's the "easy" version...

1. The scanner's main memory contains everything that can be currently scanned
2. Each V-Scanner folder contains a "copy" of a version of main memory
3. You can upload directly to the main memory or to a V-Scanner folder
4. When uploading to the radio, you have to upload the entire "image" - either all of main memory or all of a V-Scanner folder - you can't just upload a "piece" of data (e.g. a new CONV channel, a new talkgroup, etc.)

So... if you have some existing data you want to change, either in the main memory or in a V-Scanner folder:
1. If the data exists in a file on your PC, open that file. Otherwise, download it from the radio into Win500
2. Make your desired changes
3. Save the file on your PC
4. Upload to the radio (either to main memory ("Upload to Scanner") or a V-Scanner folder)

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
btritch said:
How do I select from one V Folder to another on the scanner, Such as entering different counties, Close one and open another, I hope it's simple, I have 75 of them.. Anyone know?

On keyboard press FUNC PGM for STOR or LOAD options to/from V-Scanner.

btritch

ok, Now I get it so if I want to just add a freq. to the main or v scanner folders, I can just upload that ONE file again without erasing the others, Got it.. Great! Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.