Programming Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

ron351

Feed Provider
Just received the Uniden BCD325P2 hand held. Seems to have nothing in it to scan, what I am looking to do is start Broadcasting and want to only add 1 police districts to the scanner to broadcast.
1) Cuyahoga County Cleveland Ohio 1st District
2) Cuyahoga County Cleveland Ohio 2nd District

Can these 2 be added manually to the scanner without a software?
And hopefully if they can both can be broadcasted with the 1 scanner to pick it up on scannerradio

New to this and how to program it easy, any pro's out there that can help?
I attached the frequency snapshot that shows Clevelands 1st and 2nd district police channels

Attachments

• police frequency1.jpg
    police frequency1.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 843

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Most do use software (this is a software forum, after all...), and FreeScan is freeware that (mostly) supports this radio (among others- and I say mostly because, at least as of this writing, it doesn't support the new DMR and ProVoice firmware...)

However that's not to say it can't be done without it - it's just a lot more cumbersome. The Easier to Read manual for this radio would be a big help, and we have the link for that, along with a lot more that you may need, here...

Program your DMA Scanner - The RadioReference Wiki

The links for the Easier to Read guides are at the bottom...GL...Mike

ron351

Feed Provider
Thanks Mike, I will look into the software. I got the driver in for the USB cable, this radio came with no software or no mention of using a software.
So kind of in the dark here and trial and error
Ron

Most do use software (this is a software forum, after all...), and FreeScan is freeware that (mostly) supports this radio (among others- and I say mostly because, at least as of this writing, it doesn't support the new DMR and ProVoice firmware...)

However that's not to say it can't be done without it - it's just a lot more cumbersome. The Easier to Read manual for this radio would be a big help, and we have the link for that, along with a lot more that you may need, here...

Program your DMA Scanner - The RadioReference Wiki

The links for the Easier to Read guides are at the bottom...GL...Mike

ron351

Feed Provider
Ok I seem to be connected to the scanner, and transferred the list to it.
I am guessing I uncheck the ones I don't want to listen to in the list right?

Plus I noticed reception at times is not the greatest and can a coax with a BNC connector be crimped on the end go outside and to an antenna? To get better reception.

And would like to group the 2 channels so when I do get it set up right and reception good to broadcast it will run good.
I guess I will spend the day wednesday to try and figure out how to group 2 channels to broadcast and other keys to listen to other traffic if needed so it is on hand

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
You can run an outside antenna, which I have done with excellent results.

You can assign talkgroups into groups. Group Quick Keys can be configured so that you can "turn on" certain groups and "turn off" others. All owing to what you desire.

ron351

Feed Provider
Ok I may give it a try on the outside antenna. I am right in the middle of both police stations and would say 70% reception and some are garbled. So hoping to try a outside antenna and see the difference.
Still trying to figure out the FreeScan software, checking and unchecking trial and error.
Also figuring out best settings for the Uniden BCD325P2 scanner.
Eventually I will get it, just wish it was easier and sooner.

phask

Premium Subscriber
Be aware - that is a Simulcast system with all the associated issues.

Seriously - what software will you use to stream? Get something like Proscan and program and stream.

Isn't this already streamed here on RR?

ron351

Feed Provider
Someone broadcasts district 1-5 including Metro Housing.
Problem is with all the chatter on the east side of town many calls on the west side get talked over.
So I want to only broadcast the west side just the 2 districts for my alerts group.
I am finding what you say Simulcast system is being a pain to only hear my 2 districts.
But, if the other broadcaster is able to only do 1-5 and another, there should be a way for me to just do district 1+2
I downloaded "Scannercast" and RadioFeed 4.0 I think both are needed to broadcast, have not got that far yet.
Still trying to figure out how to get just the 2 police districts to only be heard on the scanner for now before moving forward

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
If you have that simulcast distortion problem, only a directional outside antenna will be helpful. Usually getting a "worse" signal is better at dealing with the garble.

If all you want to hear is one district, lock-out all the other talkgroups so all you hear is the desired one.

ron351

Feed Provider
It is kind of driving me nuts. I want 2 districts actually that covers the west side of cleveland.
I check then uncheck the boxes and each time upload back to the scanner.
Accidentally deleted the simulcast channel and by doing that said nothing to scan. So added it back. But either way I still get some east side ones talking.
I thought it would be easy to just uncheck the ones I don't want to hear and done, but not going that way it seems.
As far as a Bidirectional antenna I suppose that would be more powerful. I think it is the alum siding, kind of like the cordless phone when it came out, move a foot and better.
I may try the antenna that came with it and BNC it out to the outside through coax and see what happens

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
If you are using FreeScan, you'll want to check the L/O box (third column) for those talkgroups you do NOT want to hear. That's after you have done the import of the data from RR.

This tells the scanner to disregard these talkgroups. (Unchecking the L/O means you will hear them).

ron351

Feed Provider
I will try that, never checked any of them, but did check the one next to it "PRI" figuring that meant Priority but that didn't seem to do nothing.
Going there now to see if your suggestion helps. After 8 hours of this and in the same spot, it sure gets frustrating

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Priority scanning is a different operation in trunked scanning as opposed to priority scanning in conventional. With conventional, the scanner will pre-empt a non-priority transmission to see if there is activity on a priority frequency. In trunked priority, that doesn't happen, except in some older type of trunked systems under certain conditions. Only when the scanner is monitoring the P25 control channel will priority things function.

If you like, you can zip your programming file and attach it to a reply and I'll take a look at it. Perhaps I can offer some ideas.

ron351

Feed Provider
Thanks for the info on priority, makes sense.
I think I finally have it along with the locking out channels as suggested in a post and someone assisting in a private message.
It is now becoming easier to understand.
Now I will have to see if I can say group the settings I want to broadcast on say button or channel 1 and then have button 2 or channel 2 do the same ones I broadcast but with TAC and SWAT channels but of course that can't be broadcasted, but hoping that groups can be added to channels to click from 1 to the other rather then having to flash it back and forth.
If that is possible I may buy another scanner and set itup so I can go from 1 to the other to the next .
Just have to figure out how. But think I am good on only doing the 2 districts now for this scanner.

ron351

Feed Provider
ofd8001 member
I attached the file I am working on. It puts both district 1 and 2 groups under the same system and site.
I hope to delete most in district 2 to look small and simple as district 1 does.
Next hurdle will be adding more groups and then being able to switch to each group with the scanner
Yet to figure that out yet. Like button 1 or channel 1 for district 1 then button 2 or channel 2 for 2nd district.
Then the next group for button 3 or channel 3 so I can switch between districts and areas rather then mix them all into 1 on the scanner

Attachments

• Cleve D1 D2.zip
    1.8 KB · Views: 9

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I think you are on the right track. Attached are some suggestions in the EDITED file.

All frequencies for the site were unlocked. While you do have the listed control channels unlocked, there is nothing wrong with leaving all frequencies available. That way if an "unlisted" channel gets used as a control channel, the scanner will "grab" it.

I assigned Group Quick Keys. All 5 police districts were set out in their own respective groups. However only Group Quick Keys 1 and 2 were enabled. Groups Quick Keys 3, 4 and 5 are disabled. You can turn them on if something of interest occurs in these districts, otherwise they are off.

Last edited:

phask

Premium Subscriber
Not sure if you only want to listen to the 2 districts, but could set up 3 similar groups. Dist 1 in 1, 2 in 2, and both in 3.

Use Site quick keys for ea, 1 , 2 , 3 . Be ez to turn on / off each qk.

ron351

Feed Provider
I will look at how it is after you configured. I was trying last night and adding groups and only guessing how to make the 1-10 keys work to go to each group. I did get at one point hit keypad 1 and it scanned, but initial turning on said nothing to scan. So I did at one point mistakenly get a key to function. Probably when I see what you did it will shed more light on how

ron351

Feed Provider
phask, yes this is the idea behind all this, was to group x amount of channels and put them on the keypad buttons to switch to a certain group to listen to easily. It is slowly coming to me, still some trial and error

Not sure if you only want to listen to the 2 districts, but could set up 3 similar groups. Dist 1 in 1, 2 in 2, and both in 3.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber

Aren't site quick keys applicable on the system level, however? Thus to effect something like that you'd have to duplicate the system. One Site/System Quick Key would deal with District 1. A second Site/System Quick Key for District 2.

That means the same control channel is being monitored twice, which is inefficient and can lead to missing transmissions.

I think he'll get what he wants with using Group Quick Keys. GQK 1 toggles District 1, GQK2 toggles District 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.