Programming Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

phask

Premium Subscriber
Correct - but if the OP only wants to hear one or the other tg at a time it makes for a simple solution.

Not great for a normal setup. but for quick selection etc.... best I can come up with.

You could set this up in 10 minutes or less in Freescan. Set up the first system with both TG, then copy twice, then modify the site quick keys.

Not to mention a simple press of 1, 2, or 3 to tun on or off. I don't even remember how to turn on GQK :) I just recently had to look it up for my 996 duh...

Aren't site quick keys applicable on the system level, however? Thus to effect something like that you'd have to duplicate the system. One Site/System Quick Key would deal with District 1. A second Site/System Quick Key for District 2.

That means the same control channel is being monitored twice, which is inefficient and can lead to missing transmissions.

I think he'll get what he wants with using Group Quick Keys. GQK 1 toggles District 1, GQK2 toggles District 2.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I agree it is simpler. But for the benefit of the OP's knowledge, here is the predicament.

Two systems are created. One for Distrct 1 and a second for District 2.

When the District 1 system is spending 1-2 seconds monitoring the control channel and the only activity is on the District 2 talkgroup, it will disregard District 2 because it is only looking for District 1. Vice versa is true with System 2 - would potentially miss District 1 during that 1-2 second control channel monitoring time.

It would be better for the OP to use the Group Quick Keys - all that's needed is to press the Function button before pressing the GQK button.

ron351

Feed Provider
Aren't site quick keys applicable on the system level, however? Thus to effect something like that you'd have to duplicate the system. One Site/System Quick Key would deal with District 1. A second Site/System Quick Key for District 2.

That means the same control channel is being monitored twice, which is inefficient and can lead to missing transmissions.

I think he'll get what he wants with using Group Quick Keys. GQK 1 toggles District 1, GQK2 toggles District 2.

Right now it is 1 site with 5 groups and each group is set to 1-5 and seems to switch to key 1-5 if I hit Function ad key number. Still fiddling with it, but seems to be working and on the scanner LED screen it shows which key I am on 1-5
So will know tomorrow after testing it more

ron351

Feed Provider
ofd8001 scanner seems to be doing ok with the file you sent me before. I ordered an antenna that can either go in the attic or outside. I found to lock out a channel which I have 1-5 I hit function then the number and a star shows rather then the number for the channel. I will attach a picture of the antenna and hope it is the right kind. It says for scanners

I think you are on the right track. Attached are some suggestions in the EDITED file.

All frequencies for the site were unlocked. While you do have the listed control channels unlocked, there is nothing wrong with leaving all frequencies available. That way if an "unlisted" channel gets used as a control channel, the scanner will "grab" it.

I assigned Group Quick Keys. All 5 police districts were set out in their own respective groups. However only Group Quick Keys 1 and 2 were enabled. Groups Quick Keys 3, 4 and 5 are disabled. You can turn them on if something of interest occurs in these districts, otherwise they are off.

Attachments

• ant1.jpg
    ant1.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 181

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I think you'll be happy with this antenna - got a couple of them in my garage attic. If you go outside with it, take care to seal the antenna cable connector against moisture intrusion. Otherwise corrosion will sneak up on you and you'll experience signal loss.

When you see a digit (0-9) in either the System or Group Quick Key position, that means the System or Group Quick Key is "active". If there is an asterisk, that means the System or Group Quick Key is "inactive". (Technical term is "enabled", but I use "active" for easier understanding).

ron351

Feed Provider
Appreciate your answer and confirming the antenna. I should ask before I buy, luckily this time I got lucky.
I have RG-6 coax and weatherproof BNC crimp on connectors. I have a scanner in the basement I plan to broadcast with and a handheld in the livingroom I listen to. The hand held at times garbles a little and is irritating and I even bought a better antenna for the hand held. Now, I was thinking to take that attic outdoor antenna and going to the basement with it and ordered a 3way male BNC connector T fitting. I am going to try splitting so the coax from the antenna goes to both the basement scanner and also from the T splitter out to the living room hand held in hopes both will have a great garble free signal.
You think that would work? I don't see why it wouldn't.

I think you'll be happy with this antenna - got a couple of them in my garage attic. If you go outside with it, take care to seal the antenna cable connector against moisture intrusion. Otherwise corrosion will sneak up on you and you'll experience signal loss.

When you see a digit (0-9) in either the System or Group Quick Key position, that means the System or Group Quick Key is "active". If there is an asterisk, that means the System or Group Quick Key is "inactive". (Technical term is "enabled", but I use "active" for easier understanding).

Attachments

• t1.jpg
    t1.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 219

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Another thing to keep in mind is that these T splitters do incur a bit of loss, probably more as you go higher in frequency - so if you're having issues with simulcast, these *might* reduce your signal strength somewhat.

Mike

ron351

Feed Provider
Thanks Mike, I will be sure to wire it so if there is a loss issue the main will still feed right to the scanner and use it single.
Any idea on cable that is recommended?
RG6 RG59 and I seen where LMR 400 cable is recommended. But that looks like it has a fatter core and wonder if that is best there must be a special BNC connector for the fatter core wire it has no?

Another thing to keep in mind is that these T splitters do incur a bit of loss, probably more as you go higher in frequency - so if you're having issues with simulcast, these *might* reduce your signal strength somewhat.

Mike

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
RG6 is pretty standard for runs up to 50 feet or so. If you need a longer run, LMR400 might be a better choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.