• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Programming HT1000 with Motorola RSS UHF &VHF

Status
Not open for further replies.

MAbramowicz

Okay, I have a pretty big question here. I have both a UHF and VHF version of the HT1000. My current FD charges us $150.00 to program our own radios. The town couldn't afford to purchase extras. I obtained Motorola RSS, but it is currently set up for a UHF bandwidth. Says I can only program UHF frequencies. Are there different versions of RSS for VHF? Or will one RSS system work for all of them?

Thanks

RBMTS

The RSS will handle VHF and UHF - but only 1 radio at a time. My guess is that you "read" the UHF radio and then tried to program in VHF frequencies for the other radio. If so, then it won't work. You need to read and save the current code plugs for both radios and then program them individually using their original code plug as the template. Then write them back to the corresponding radio.

12dbsinad

$150 for a basic HT1000,16 channels!? That's about as basic as you can get as far as programming goes. Wow.

Granted it's an older radio, but talk about getting hosed.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
$150 for a basic HT1000,16 channels!? That's about as basic as you can get as far as programming goes. Wow.

Granted it's an older radio, but talk about getting hosed.

And considering you can get them for $30 or so on e-Bay, often programmed by the seller, someone is really taking advantage of the fire department volunteers. Sounds more like a fund raiser than radio programming.

OP: I'd be happy to program it for you if you are not successful. Free of charge. I'll even pay the return shipping.

Danny37

And considering you can get them for $30 or so on e-Bay, often programmed by the seller, someone is really taking advantage of the fire department volunteers. Sounds more like a fund raiser than radio programming.

OP: I'd be happy to program it for you if you are not successful. Free of charge. I'll even pay the return shipping.

Much respect!

Highway robbery, they should be ashamed of themselves for charging that much especially if it's a volly FD. People on eBay charge $20 a pop to program and the radios are literally going for $50 or less.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
$150 to program a basic radio is robbery.

For that price, you can obtain a DOS laptop, ribless cable from Ebay, and program to your heart's content (within the limits of the radio, a UHF radio won't work on VHF).

You should read up on the many primers on programming radios. Keep in mind, any radio that is used in an IDLH setting really should be properly vetted and PM'ed at least once a year by a qualified technician.

That being said, simple conventional programming is hard to screw up, provided one follows the steps and ALWAYS SAVE (read) a radio FIRST before you do anything.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
!!!

Apparently I'm not charging enough for programming radios.

-That is an absolutely ludicrous amount of money to program a 16 channel radio.-

Eh…sounds like Bearcom pricing to me.

Now, I do know some shops that will tag a setup fee for a legacy programming session. Basically, the time it takes to locate the DOS machine, boot it, and get the RSS running.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MAbramowicz

RE: Programming Motorola HT1000

I agree with all of you! Way too much money. After screwing around with the software and my toughbook, I got the software to work, then started looking for the plug for the adapter. Guess what? I don't have a DB9 plug. I bought a docking station...photo attached down below. Will this work?

We're having some company from Chicopee program the radios, and people aren't happy with them. The guy doesn't know how to set the MDC correctly...supposed to be a legit communications person too.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180227-174327.jpg
    Screenshot_20180227-174327.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 270

crazyboy

I agree with all of you! Way too much money. After screwing around with the software and my toughbook, I got the software to work, then started looking for the plug for the adapter. Guess what? I don't have a DB9 plug. I bought a docking station...photo attached down below. Will this work?

We're having some company from Chicopee program the radios, and people aren't happy with them. The guy doesn't know how to set the MDC correctly...supposed to be a legit communications person too.

Yeaaa, that’s not going to work with MS DOS. You need a real serial port on a computer running DOS.

12dbsinad

i still have the REAL MOTOROLA floppy RVN4098H HT\JT1000\Visor Radio Software Verson R03.03.00 from April-10-1998

Same here.

That was back in the days when I saw a guy at a hamfest get cuffed and stuffed for selling illegal M software. It was a BIG deal.

Same here.

That was back in the days when I saw a guy at a hamfest get cuffed and stuffed for selling illegal M software. It was a BIG deal.

i belong to a lot of groups on Facebook people selling radios and posting i will give you FREE software i have to warn them that the M POLICE would get them lol

com501

!!!

Apparently I'm not charging enough for programming radios.

-That is an absolutely ludicrous amount of money to program a 16 channel radio.-

This is probably the radio shop 'go away and don't bother me' price.

Most shops don't even have a DOS computer or anyone around who knows how to program in DOS. This is why some of us 'old farts' are still around.

I can still do your eeproms, too.

MAbramowicz

After much debate, I bought all the software myself. I bought a build your own Toughbook package from a nice gentleman on eBay, and then decided to buy an XTS3000 along with a Jedi shoulder mic. A simple $240.00 purchase lead to me buying over $600.00 worth of stuff. I love & hate eBay all at the same time...lol

It turns out that the radio shop programming was donating 10% of each purchase to the town to help us get our own radios. They won't be getting it from me!

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
It turns out that the radio shop programming was donating 10% of each purchase to the town to help us get our own radios. They won't be getting it from me!

$135.00 for programming and giving $15.00 to the city?

Should be reversed. Or $30 for programming, $15/$15.

Good for you, programming these radios is not hard. Offer to program them for the others, with a recommendation they donate $15 (or more) to the department.

masstech

Chicopee does not have any radio shops now, does it? Are you thinking of Springfield?

Status
Not open for further replies.