• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Programming IC-F4021

Status
Not open for further replies.

ASAD

I'm trying to program my IC-F4021 using CS-F3020/F5020 revision 2.3. IC-F3021 is the VHF counterpart of my F4021. When I hit Read or Write, I get the following error message. Do you know what's going on?

Illegal Information.
Check the following:
- The COM port settings .
- Cloning cable connections.
- Transceiver power is ON.
- Appropriate cloning software for the transceiver is being used.
- The revision number of the transceiver.

I think it's the last one of the above possible errors - revision number. Does it mean I have to update my software? If so, how do I update the software?

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
Current most version of CS-F3020 is 3.3. I know you can buy it but I don't know about upgrades. Have you read from the radio yet? Another question, have you double checked your COM port? That's an issue I often have is the COM port one (my PC's tend to assign different numbers depending on where I plug it in but my Linux computer is setup to always see the OPC-478 cable as /dev/ttyUSB0 and always assigns it to COM 1 under WINE).

ASAD

Dear W5PKY,

I can't read the radio. I get the same error message as I do for write. I use the correct COM port but still tried all, one at a time. Yes I'm using OPC-478. I think the program requires upgrade.

Project25_MASTR

Sounds like it does. I know CS-F121 rev 1.3 actually tells me that I need to upgrade to a newer version (1.7 was the newest version made) when I was trying to figure out a used F221 I had acquired.

ASAD

I was trying to figure out what signaling would be good for us, in doing so I reprogrammed my Icom radio about a 100 times. Should I do alignment because of reprogramming? Or repetitive programming doesn't affect its performance?

Project25_MASTR

Repetitive programming shouldn't be an issue. Alignment is fairly minimal these day…in fact, I only know of DoD service contracts that require a periodic (every 12 months) alignment.

Status
Not open for further replies.