• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Programming Motorola MTS 2000

Status
Not open for further replies.

BeyondReality

Hi I have a question. I am completely new to radio programming and I understand if you guys dont want to explain things to a newb. But I am wondering if atleast you can point me to the right direction for doing this.

I work for a police department and we have a bunch of handheld Motorola MTS-2000's. A lot of times new radios get bought and the old ones get handed down to new officers or sometimes radios get switched. Each radio has a unique identifier that comes up in dispatch to identify the officer on their computers. Those radio identifies correspond with the officers badge number.

I need to learn how to program the radios to show different badge numbers. Can anyone offer any assistance in this area?

WB6WQF

Premium Subscriber
If you are not on a trunking system, then you would program the radio with an MDC 4-digit ID.

Primary ID (MDC System, General)

Selects the unique four digit ID that identifies the radio while operating (transmitting or receiving MDC calls) on the current MDC Signaling System.

When receiving an MDC transmission, the Primary ID allows the radio to identify the incoming call as being addressed to it. The Primary ID is configured into the Call List of the transmitting radio with the Call ID field.

When the Primary ID is transmitted, the ID appears in the receiving radio’s display. When the ID is listed in the call list of the receiving radio, and the Radio Wide Caller ID field is set to “Alias Text”, the Call Text appears in the receiving radio’s display. This is known as Reverse Aliasing.

Note: All four digits must be defined.

Minimum = 0001 (Hex)

Maximum = DEEE (Hex)

Note: This is a hexadecimal number where F is reserved by the base station system.

BeyondReality

Haha yea, you must have missed the part where I said I was absolutely new to this. I was looking more for the best way to hook it up to the computer (Serial, USB, etc), drivers for it and what program you use to encode it. And if possible a step by step on how to load the ID numbers into the radio.

But I may be making this way more simple than it actually is...

bezking

Haha yea, you must have missed the part where I said I was absolutely new to this. I was looking more for the best way to hook it up to the computer (Serial, USB, etc), drivers for it and what program you use to encode it. And if possible a step by step on how to load the ID numbers into the radio.

You can get either cable online, but I would go with serial. They seem to have less issues.

Do you have the CPS (programming software)?

k4sgt

If this is a Motorola trunking system then you do not want to change the radio ID's. If you start changing ID's you will soon have duplicates and that can cause problems depending on what type of system you guys have. In fact, if you don't have the system key then you can't even change an ID. What you really want to do is update the console alias database instead. The radio keeps it's ID, but the dispatchers see the custom alias text. Of course, this all depends on if your dispatchers are using dispatch consoles. If they aren't then you can build an alias list in the dispatch radios.

davidgcet

Premium Subscriber
the consoles show and Alias which is tied to a unique ID. each ID is tied to a unique serial number so that if radio X is lost/stolen it can be turned off and stunned. if you dup an id then one is lost now both radios would be useless if the system admin is doing his job. the proper way to do what you want is to change the alias for the existing ID in the console alias database. the only real reason to repro the radios is if you need to add/remove channels, which as stated you can't do an add without the system key if this is a trunk system. our local PD does the same thing as yours, back when we did the rebanding it was discovered that the jailer, who was only supposed to have the main dispatch chan and county common, had one of the old narcotics task force radios with all their private channels! he complained big time when these were removed from his radio.

N4DES

Retired 0598 Czar ÆS Ø

Your best bet is to try to find out who the system or dispatch center manager is and advise him or her of the issues. Coming a public board for advice, where you don't even state where you are or what system you reside on, is going to lead you down a path of confusion or frustration.

If your on a trunking system you can actually do more harm than good when trying to modify a radio's programming.

BeyondReality

thank you everyone for your replies. I do not believe that we are on a trunking system. And right now every time we need a radio reprogrammed it has to be sent out to this radio contractor to be done. That is a pain because they are not local, take forever to get back and have to be sent out every time.

We currently use the Zetron 4217B radio system in our dispatch center and it sounds much easier from what you guys are saying to just change the identifier in our dispatch console. But that is just the audio panel, I believe the actual guts of our radio system is horrible. We had a pro look at it one time and they said it was being held together by gum and bandaids haha.

And to answer a previous question, no I do not have any of the programming software. I dont even know which programming software to use. Nor which is the correct cable for these certain model radios. I am sure they are easy to find though.

BeyondReality

Iv looked through the Zetron system and dont see anyway to set up Aliases. Either it doesnt have the capability or Im not seeing it.

Dont suppose anyone knows how to set up a Alias list on a Zetron 4217B audio Panel with the Integrator RR

Thanks

CommJunkie

Dont suppose anyone knows how to set up a Alias list on a Zetron 4217B audio Panel with the Integrator RR

Thanks

As a matter of fact, I do.

In the RDPS program, go to the "Define Lists" menu, then "Subscriber ID Definitions".

It will bring up a screen that will say "Record Number 1". Underneath that is "Subscriber ID" and a text entry box that you would put the 4 digit code in. Let's say for example the code is 1234.

The next box is "Subscriber Alias". In this box, you would type what you want to come up on the screen. Let's say we want it to show up as "Off. Smith". Now, every time radio 1234 keys up, the Zetron will display "Off. Smith" on the screen.

Skip "Long Alias". You don't need it.

Next, make sure the button is checked for "MDC-1200/Zetron iRIM Type A" (You are using the MDC1200, the Zetron Type A is something different, but it's on the same button).

Do this for your entire list of IDs. I do not know how many aliases you can program.

Hope this helps.

bri957a

Does anyone know the very latest, or the best software to program mts 2000 model 3 VHF radio?
Or any mts 2000 radio?

Status
Not open for further replies.