Programming Pro-2067 Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hamop347

Hello everyone,

I just recently purchased a Pro-2067 and while the scanner works fine, I have been encountering some problems while trying to program it with Win92. The cable that came with the scanner when I bought it I believe is an aftermarket 20-546 with mono adapter (See picture below). I installed the FTDI Drivers version 2.12.18 several times by both the setup executable on their website and by the VCP and D2XX drivers separately.

The issue is that the Win92 program will not upload any changes to the scanner. When readback tests are enabled in the configuration settings I get the error:

"Expected to read back the data we just wrote - this failed. Ensure the correct COM port is selected, a supported cable is attached to the COM port and the scanner, and the scanner is turned ON."

I have checked all of those things and contacted the guy I bought the scanner from who said that it might be a driver issue (uncertain).

Without the readback tests enabled, the red and green lights on the USB flash (red during download, green during attempted upload).

Once again, downloading from the scanner has had no problems - just the upload won't work.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I am running Win 10 x64 if you think this might be an OS driver issue.

Thank you in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_20161007_091628.jpg
    IMG_20161007_091628.jpg
    235.4 KB · Views: 461

Hamop347

Mike,

I have tried both with and without the mono adapter attached as I did see other posts saying this. I still get the same error message in the program and no receiving message displays on the scanner.

TES

As stated elsewhere, the author of Win92 has previously said that the mono adapter shouldn't be used with these radios. Did you try this? Mike

Programming Cable Information

More accurately, Mr. Starr wrote the adapter is "not required" with the GRE-made scanners prior to the PSR-500 family scanners.

Using the GRE 30-3290 cable (equivalent to the RadioShack 20-047 and 20-546 cables) I am able to read and write to my PRO-96 and PRO-2055 scanners both with the adapter and without.

trp2525

Once again, downloading from the scanner has had no problems - just the upload won't work.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I am running Win 10 x64 if you think this might be an OS driver issue...

Try rolling back the FTDI driver to version 2.08.24 which is WHQL certified.

You can download the 64-bit version here: http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/CDM/CDM 2.08.24 WHQL Certified.zip

Here is the link to the 2.08.24 setup executable: http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/CDM/CDM20824_Setup.exe

Hamop347

Try rolling back the FTDI driver to version 2.08.24 which is WHQL certified.

You can download the 64-bit version here: http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/CDM/CDM 2.08.24 WHQL Certified.zip

Here is the link to the 2.08.24 setup executable: http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/CDM/CDM20824_Setup.exe

I tried rolling back to those drivers, but it still doesn't upload. Might there be a problem with either the cable or with the port? Someone in another thread said they could only get the upload to work with a radioshack branded cable, never an aftermarket one...

trp2525

I tried rolling back to those drivers, but it still doesn't upload. Might there be a problem with either the cable or with the port? Someone in another thread said they could only get the upload to work with a radioshack branded cable, never an aftermarket one...

There are a couple of other things you could check. If you have access to another cable (maybe you could borrow a genuine Radio Shack cable from someone) you could try that and see if it makes any difference. If the borrowed cable works OK then you have isolated the problem to your aftermarket cable.

I read (on eBay in user reviews) from another user of an aftermarket scanner programming cable that he was unable to get it to work with his PRO-652 and Win500. He switched his programming software to ARC500 by Butel and the aftermarket scanner cable then worked fine. You might want to do a free trial of another scanner program to see if your cable works OK with it. There could be a compatibility issue between your current programming software and your aftermarket cable.

If you are using a USB 3.0 port on your computer with the scanner programming cable you might want to try a port that is just USB 2.0. The USB 3.0 port is "supposed to be" fully backwards compatible but you never know. Stranger things have happened with computers and scanners.

Lastly you said that you are using a Windows 10 64-bit computer. If you have access to a computer with an older operating system (Windows XP for example) you might want to try loading your software and drivers on that computer and see if your aftermarket cable works with that setup. Sometimes you solve your problem through the process of elimination

LesWurk

You might try TK92 as a alternate software

tk92

Icom CT-17 interface always worked for me but it's a old rs 232 interface

Hamop347

I just tried the Tk92 interface but it is giving me a similar error to win 92 except that it wont upload OR download data:

"C:\tk92\tk92.tcl: ReadEcho: Error while reading echo from serial port. Aborting."

Does this mean that it is definitely the cable? I was reading about oneway vs twoway cables - might that be the issue here?

Also, I do not have access to another cable or to an older OS. I tried both softwares with all of the USB ports that I have on my computer.

trp2525

Does this mean that it is definitely the cable? I was reading about oneway vs twoway cables - might that be the issue here?

Also, I do not have access to another cable...

I believe the best way to proceed at this point is to see if you can locate/purchase a genuine Radio Shack scanner programming cable #2000546 (https://www.radioshack.com/products/radioshack-usb-pc-scanner-programming-cable?variant=20332489157) at your local Radio Shack store. In the online description of the cable on the Radio Shack website it states that it is compatible with Radio Shack scanner catalog #20-196 which is the catalog number for the PRO-2067 that you have. If the cable doesn't work to your satisfaction you can always return it to your local Radio Shack and get your money back.

Find a Radio Shack store near you: https://www.radioshack.com/apps/store-locator

If you don't have the owner's manual for the PRO-2067, it can be downloaded here: http://support.radioshack.com/support_electronics/doc61/61423.pdf

As a last thought you might want to try resetting and/or initializing your PRO-2067 scanner as outlined on page 52 of the above-referenced owner's manual. Try your software again after doing the reset and/or initialization to see if it makes a difference. Just keep in mind that if you do a full initializing it will clear all of the information that you have programmed into the scanner.

Hamop347

I probably should have done this a while ago, but I put a voltmeter to the sections of the stereo head to make sure the cable wasn't broken.

According to the pinup found on this forum post: http://forums.radioreference.com/radio-shack-scanners/143926-rs-20-047-cable-pinout.html

I am getting:
4.89V Rx -> GND
0V Tx -> GND
3.29V Rx -> Tx

With the monohead adapter on, I get 0V across the two sections (as the Rx and GND become joined and complete the circuit I think)

The closest radioshack is ~45 minutes away so if I can avoid going out to buy a new cable I would like to avoid it.

A friend also told me I could borrow one of his scanners to see if the programming cable is shot or if potentially the port in my Pro 2067 is bad instead if the cable works with his scanner.

trp2525

...A friend also told me I could borrow one of his scanners to see if the programming cable is shot or if potentially the port in my Pro 2067 is bad instead if the cable works with his scanner.

Assuming your friend lets you borrow another PRO-2067 that would be a good experiment to see if your aftermarket programming cable will work in both directions (uploading and downloading) with a different PRO-2067. If it does, then you may have a problem with the port or something else on the PRO-2067 that you purchased.

Status
Not open for further replies.