SDS100/SDS200: Programming SDS100

Status
Not open for further replies.

SLCScanner

Feed Provider
I have had many Uniden Scanners Including the Homepatrol 1 and 2 the Uniden 436HP and Now the SDS100.

I got this when it first came out and for some reason it sounds worse than the BCD436 and Both Homepatrols. I called ZipScanners where I purchased it from and they said that I didnt program it correctly and thats why it sounds like crap. Is there another way to program these scanners other than the normal zip code way or Sentinel Software? I have always programmed mine through the software but they are still claiming that its not done correctly. Am I missing something?

They want me to pay for programming but if I can do it myself if there is something I am missing please help. Thank you :)

letarotor

Premium Subscriber
Are there any more specifics you can give on what you were told or what is happening? It's kind of hard to tell what may be going on. Do you have any specific way they told you that you need to program it? Did they say you did something wrong specifically? It almost sounds like they could be blowing you off but I don't know and I've never dealt with that company myself.

I'm having some serious audio problems with my SDS100 after the last firmware update but I'm not convinced yet that it's the firmware update and not something going on with the Fort Worth TRS? But other people I have checked with have not been having this problem I am.

The RSSI readings on my scanner and Fort Worth Layer 2, the site, have all of the sudden started reading -100 to -120 dbm over the last two weeks when there is no traffic occurring. Prior to this change they usually ranged between the -70s and -80s sdbm. But now, whenever I get a transmission that is legible, it drops down to to about -85 dbm. I've been using my scanner each and every day since pre-ordering it and getting it back in June I think it was. This problem has never remotely happened until I recently did the database update and firmware update after not doing any for about 2 months. I know I haven't programmed anything in wrong and nothing has changed other than the firmware update. While I should have the same footprint for Fort Worth site 1 and site 2, only site 1 is down in the -80 dbm range without any voice or transmission at the time. So this is what is making me wonder if it is the radio or possibly Fort Worth site 2 AKA Layer 2?

Have you done any recent firmware updates to your scanner since you got it? I will include a short video on my Google photos account showing what is occurring on my radio now. And I'm starting to wonder if it may be the radio itself and not just Fort Worth Layer 2 like I was originally thinking.

I recommend making a short video and sharing it here like this one I'm sharing so that others can see exactly what is going on. It may or may not help but it definitely won't hurt.

Also, I've noticed that the units and dispatch definitely do not have any issues hearing each other. I just all of the sudden have had horrible and unintelligible traffic the last 2 + weeks. Does yours sound anything like this? Notice the RSSI readings in the bottom right when the transmissions are clean and clear and when they are broken. Does yours look familiar when you are having reception issues?

I'm wondering how to roll back the firmware update now to see if it helps?

My approximately 1 minute video:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/WeNRkqcUXarexoYD9

Brian (COMMSCAN)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

bobmich52

I have had many Uniden Scanners Including the Homepatrol 1 and 2 the Uniden 436HP and Now the SDS100.

I got this when it first came out and for some reason it sounds worse than the BCD436 and Both Homepatrols. I called ZipScanners where I purchased it from and they said that I didnt program it correctly and thats why it sounds like crap. Is there another way to program these scanners other than the normal zip code way or Sentinel Software? I have always programmed mine through the software but they are still claiming that its not done correctly. Am I missing something?

They want me to pay for programming but if I can do it myself if there is something I am missing please help. Thank you :)

zipscanners is WELL KNOWN for poor customer service among other things

Dig into the archives & look 4 zipscanners comments

2 many negative reviews to mention here

you would be better off if u cant program it, send it to either scannermaster or bearcat warehouse, I have dealt with both on programming issues 4 my 436 & HP2's & have had no issues & reasonable turn around time

I keep 2 SD cards 4 my scanners

The original one so I can go out of state etc & the 2nd 1 programmed for certain freqs local, only, Much quicker scan time, SD cards r easy 2 swap out

SLCScanner

Feed Provider
It does sound like they were blowing me off. It seems like at times it sounds great but then it has some awful noise almost making the transmission not able to be heard. It just sounds awful. All my other scanners sound just fine and my 436 out performs the SDS100 by a long shot. It does drop like you explained but it just seems like something is wrong with the radio itself. I might just try scannermaster I heard they have tons better customer service than Zipscanners. I only got it through them because they had this scanner in stock. I live in Salt Lake City and as mentioned before i just feel that its the radio.

SLCScanner

Feed Provider
Very good to know. I will reach out to them and see if there is anything they can do to help. I appreciate you taking the time to reply.

letarotor

Premium Subscriber
I got mine through Ham Station, and somebody please correct me if I named that wrong, and I paid an even $749 with no tax and no shipping when I pre-ordered mine. I had a broken SMA to BNC connector on mine and Jeff or Jeffrey, the guy that is in control and I believe the boss, called me when I reached out to them and asked for someone to contact me due to my being legally blind and having difficulty having to use Google Voice to Text and magnifying glasses to communicate back and forth on things. And he did and was very nice and helpful. I know that it cost me less buying from them when compared with all of these other companies we are also familiar with and they did ship with UPS Ground which made getting my radio faster and more reliable than through the cheaper USPS. But overall, their customer service was excellent and even just having the person in charge call me back to help me not have to go back and forth through messages was a big plus in my book! Most companies refuse to do that type of thing nowadays.

Brian (COMMSCAN)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
Yeah read up on zipscanners reputation here in the forums. For them to tell you that your poor audio is a result of incorrect programming is bad misinformation on their part to try and persuade you to contract them into programming your scanner for you - in other words, they are deceiving you. Stay away from zipscanners.

On the other hand, Jeff @ Hamstation has an impeccable reputation here as a retailer who often goes above and beyond the barriers of customer service for not only his customers, but anyone who contacts him for help. Nothing but good here about Jeff. Great guy, great company.

Monzie I suggest sitting down with a pot of coffee and the Uniden Sentinel software and learn how to program your own scanner from scratch. Might be frustrating at first, but you will get the hang of it and in the process get to know your scanner inside and out. Post questions here in the appropriate forums and there are more than a few good people here willing to help you out.

Have fun with it!

JD
kf4anc

SLCScanner

Feed Provider
Hi thanks for your reply. I know how to program my scanners, I have programmed my Homepatrol 1 and 2 and also the BCD436HP and none have any issues. They run like a champ and I have my favorites and everything programmed the way i like it. I just dont know why Zipscanners said that its a programming issue and thats the reason it sounds like crap when all the others I have programmed are running great with no problems. I asked if there was something additional that needed to be done to program this new scanner other than just the regular Sentinel Software and they said its a High Tech scanner and needs to be programmed a certain way. Then they tried to tell me about their prices for programming when I already know how to program it, it just sounds like crap and reception is awful compared to the other older scanners.

Status
Not open for further replies.