Programming the Whistler TRX-1 Scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

KC3MER

Hello Everyone. I have a Whistler TRX-1 Scanner and I would like to program it with the RadioReference Web Service but I looked under Supported Scanner Software Applications and I did not see the Whistler TRX-1. What is being used to get the information into the scanner? Thank you.

mule1075

Feed Provider
Hello Everyone. I have a Whistler TRX-1 Scanner and I would like to program it with the RadioReference Web Service but I looked under Supported Scanner Software Applications and I did not see the Whistler TRX-1. What is being used to get the information into the scanner? Thank you.
You don't need to use the web service the RR database is built into the EZ Scan software that you use with the TRX series of scanners.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
There is a program called EZ Scan that is used to program the TRX-1 and it is already in your scanner

JD
kf4anc

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Library Import (one of the tabs you'll see in EZ-Scan) serves the same purpose as programming via the web service. Make sure that you get the latest databae update by using the Update menu in EZ-Scan. Then you can select your system or frequencies of interest and download them into a Scanlist.

KC3MER

I have a question. When looking at the scanner frequency data base for a given county I see empty slots for the TONE with a given frequency. What exactly does that mean?

KC3MER

In the conventional frequencies list I have programmed it has search ( for the empty tone slot) for a frequency i have programmed and while scanning I will see 100.0 ctcss at the bottom of the screen on the scanner. Should I just put the 100.0 ctcss in in place of search or just leave it?

kruser

Premium Subscriber
In the conventional frequencies list I have programmed it has search ( for the empty tone slot) for a frequency i have programmed and while scanning I will see 100.0 ctcss at the bottom of the screen on the scanner. Should I just put the 100.0 ctcss in in place of search or just leave it?

If you have other agencies that are not of interest on the frequency you are monitoring, you can just leave the tone setting blank or in search mode.
Sometimes distant agencies may share the same frequency so they will both use different tones so they don't have to hear each other. Same thing works for monitoring with a scanner.

KC3MER

One time I heard the Fire dispatch say to a fire department he was going to switch them to another frequency. What does that mean?

Wackyracer

Premium Subscriber
I find the tones can cause missed transmissions. I find it on 155.250 in my area and other frequencies in that range , so I removed all tones on stand alone analog frequencies resulting in improved analog reception on my trx-2 and pro-668 and ws1080

kruser

Premium Subscriber
I find the tones can cause missed transmissions. I find it on 155.250 in my area and other frequencies in that range , so
I removed all tones on stand alone analog frequencies resulting in improved analog reception on my trx-2 and pro-668 and ws1080

I had issues with tones on my GRE designed radios as well. Some radios simply cannot decode the tone fast enough and you miss transmissions like you saw.
If someone is using DPL type tones, they usually decode instantly in most radios and can usually be left as is but CTCSS or PL type tones can be slow to decode and open squelch so they may need to be removed or disabled.

DJ11DLN

+1 on leaving it blank if you aren't getting distant traffic you don't want to hear. Sometimes part of the transmission gets chopped off because the scanner doesn't recognize the CTCSS tone fast enough. Also, these scanners sometimes have an issue with CTCSS and pager tones. CTCSS is supposed to be cut out when pager tones are dropped but some agencies don't have it set up that way; I have a couple in my area. And sometimes the blend of tones will cause the scanner to drop the channel and resume scanning, causing you to miss part of the transmission before it re-acquires. Leaving CTCSS blank for those frequencies eliminates this problem.

Ubbe

A Uniden scanner in tone search continues to work in carrier squelch mode and it only displays the tone it decodes. A Whistler decodes the tone and then immediatly starts to use it in CTCSS/PL tone mode. It often are a bit slow to open up the audio in CTCSS mode so the first half second are lost and sometimes there's a mix of different tones and no tone at all in transmissions on the same frequency and that makes Whistlers solution extremly annoying. I prefere to set everything to use no tone in Whistler and let other scanners handle any subtone functions.

/Ubbe

KC3MER

The frequency I am having an issue with is 462.950 so under squelch I will try changing the search to none in the conventional frequencies. I will give this a try when I get home. Thank you everybody.

rayvelcoro

I use preferred method field programming with occasional use of EZ Scan for updates. Perform manual tweaks.

Status
Not open for further replies.