PROJECT 25

Status
Not open for further replies.

papapeach

Premium Subscriber
yes i live in midland and we have a
(project 25) and it say site 1 but in the data bank it has lots to choose from but when i go to scan that site it just gives me the site 1 and thats it but i do get a signal but no sound it says ID searching onec in a wile ill get TGID 40273 and ill have sound but not for long and it gos back to searching now this should be my PD of midland ? MY UNIT IS A UNIDEN BCD536HP

Spitfire8520

I might be completely clueless! =)
There are quite a few placed named Midland in the United States. Are you talking about Midland, Texas? According to the limited forum posts I have found, Midland (Project 25) Trunking System might be a simulcast Harris system. Unfortunately there is not enough information in the database to determine if this the case.

Are you seeing DAT on the bottom of the screen when it scans the system? When you do hear audio, does is it clear or does it cut in and out?

sparklehorse

Premium Subscriber
we have a (project 25) and it say site 1 but in the data bank it has lots to choose from

If it's Midland, Texas, there is only one site listed in the database. What do you mean by, "and it say site 1 but in the data bank it has lots to choose from" ? Lots of what to choose from? As Spitfire mentions it may be a simulcast system, but as far as the scanner is concerned it's one site. I think you may just be having trouble getting a good signal. Have you tried moving the scanner to different rooms in your house? How about at a different location, like at your place of work, or a friend's house? Have you tried a different antenna? Including details like this can help the folks here diagnose your problem.

papapeach

Premium Subscriber
yes it is midland texas and no i dont get dat it get the code TGID 40273 i found out it is the mpd here but i dont get the hole part of the transmission just pieces of it. and yes it might be the antenna it the stock one but im geting a roof top one may get a lot more signal up there and if you have the BCDx36HD_sentinel software you can go to midland texas and look at project 25 and see what im saying and it might be site 1 covers all in the list. dont know im new at this and im just trying to get where i can hear good. it might be midland is to small tow to have a lot but like i said im new at this so i really dont know what im doing sorry

papapeach

Premium Subscriber
now that iv been watching close i do see the DAT and the LINK and when i get the TGID 40273 i see p25

sparklehorse

Premium Subscriber
and yes it might be the antenna it the stock one but im geting a roof top one may get a lot more signal up there

Have you tried extending the antenna to different lengths? Your system is approx 860 MHz. A quarter wave at that frequency is about 3.25 inches. Try collapsing the antenna all the way. If that doesn't help, try setting it at a half wave, or 6.5 inches. Try other lengths too, and make note of the results. Try moving the radio to a different room. Try setting the radio by a window. Try a second floor room if you can. You'll soon learn what works better, and what doesn't. It can take some time and experimentation. Simulcast P25 systems are somewhat notorious for poor digital decode due to signal distortion. It's because you've got signals coming at you from two or three directions, and they don't arrive at precisely the same instant. The radios that your public safety officials use are expensive and designed to work with the system. They deal with the distortion issue much more effectively than our consumer grade scanners do. It's just the state of the technology at the moment. The BCD536HP is one of the best models out there for dealing with the issue, so stick with it and you should find improvement, assuming simulcast distortion is the issue. It could be other things, but the things I've suggested won't cost you a dime, and you'll pretty quickly know if you're on the right path. Ultimately you might need a rooftop antenna, or at least something better than the stock antenna. Many folks have seen significant improvement by using a Yagi type antenna tuned for the 800 MHz band. These are directional. By pointing it toward your nearest tower you maximize that signal while minimizing the others, thereby reducing the distortion problem. You might not even have to put it on the roof for it to be helpful.

Hope that helps.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
Midland (City) is actually in the middle of a Phase I to Phase 2 transition. They began testing and turning on the new Phase 2 system back over the summer. SO uses the regional Phase 1 system if I remeber correctly, Midland uses their own.

Status
Not open for further replies.