prons and cons on the Home patrol

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
I am thinking of buying a Home Patrol. Seems like a bunch of you like it, do you all have any pros or cons you can share.

VaSheriff

Just unpacked one and turned it on. Too early to tell if I like it or not.

But....

1 - con, don't know how to lock onto who is talking and keep it there yet. For example, if Colorado Springs PD has a hot call taking place and you want to lock onto it, can it be done?

2 - con, the volume really leaves a lot to be desired. I suppose an auxilliary speaker might solve this problem.

3 - pro, the size. A lot of technology packed in a small unit. This of course could be good or bad in the long run.

4 - pro, the appearance and display. The display is superb.

My review of this product, on a scale of 1 to 10, is a 5 right now. But like I say, I have only had it in operation for less than 30 minutes so far. If I am not a little more impressed by morning, I might return it and exchange it for a PRO-197.

McP

I'm certainly not a scanner guru, but I just bought a HP last week. I've been using a 396XT & 996XT at home and a 15X in my car. While I am still learning the finer details of the HP, I have found that this past week alone has been enough for me to replace my 15X with the HP in my car. The great thing too, I can easily take it out and use it as my desktop at home. Probably soon will be primary over my 996X.

McP

Just unpacked one and turned it on. Too early to tell if I like it or not.

But....

1 - con, don't know how to lock onto who is talking and keep it there yet. For example, if Colorado Springs PD has a hot call taking place and you want to lock onto it, can it be done?

Just tap the system, department or channel line. Tap again to unlock.

2 - con, the volume really leaves a lot to be desired. I suppose an auxilliary speaker might solve this problem.

I agree with this, especially using it on the highway in my car. I can't hardwire a speaker into mine (policies), but I guess I could get one and splice the wires to a cigarette adapter. I had been using my 15X with a $15 Uniden speaker and wish I could have used it with the HP.

VaSheriff

Just tap the system, department or channel line. Tap again to unlock.

You are correct. Just tried it, it works. Thank You!

Guess it's in the owner's manual too, eh? I plug and play, never read the owner's manuals.

Viper43

Best 800 reception on any of my radios is the HP, doesn't do bad on any of the bands though. I have heard stuff 90 miles away on occasion.
GPS is a must traveling - the best one I have found is on the Uniden site - super fast after first time and it stores the SATs for quicker startup
Easy to use....and with Extreme update nothing comes close in it's uses.

Only con - not the fault of the scanner but it is accuracy of the DB which still needs a lot of work at RR.

I have dropped it, pulled the power and GPS connectors out accidently and found it to be tough unit! Screen care is tricky and do not get it wet, as some found out it does not like water!

OCO

Jason:
Have you tried setting a volume offset for any of the P25 talkgroups? I know I've got a couple that are consistently low (and some others that are really overdriven). I'm fortunate that I can set the HP1 in the corner of the dash, against the windshield, which does focus the audio towards me, but I agree that an external speaker would be best.

VaSheriff: One day isn't enough to learn all the features of any of the new scanners.. If you aren't into reading the manual, I'd question how happy you'll be with a scanner that requires RTFM to get it running like a PRO-197. I'm still finding features - the other day I discovered that when I hear something going on and start recording, it not only starts at that point in time, but appends the replay buffer on the front, so whatever I heard that made me start recording is also captured. Also, a lot of careful thought has gone into the HP and the supporting software to make it as near bullet proof as possible. I'd certainly give the HP1 more than overnight..

bobmich52

Have Had it since Oct 2010. I Now Have 2, 1 For Car & Computer Desk

1. Volume In The Car Is Not Good, Much agree With The Above Comments

2. Unless I missed It, My Only Other Beef Is that It Does Not Have A Priority Channel Option.

I Would Like 2 Have It For My Local PD/Ems. To get around That, I Keep My Scanned channels To A Minimum( About 200) So I don't Miss Much.

Overall, I Would Recomend It ,The Techno geeks Here will Trash Me For saying This, But I Beleve In The KISS Principal In Scanning & The HP 1 Fits That Principal Nicely & I Have Been scanning Since The Old 4/8/10 Channel Rock Bound Regency/Bearcat Days

cg

Premium Subscriber
Overall, I think Uniden tried too hard to to make an entry level scanner appeal to much more experienced users. It is a very good receiver, especially on some of the marginal 800MHz systems I monitor.
Unfortunately the advanced features all work independently of each other (ex: you cannot watch the trunking channels while you are gathering info on the talkgroups). Chain searching, linking multiple search ranges together, has been standard on other Unidens for years. Finally we get a Uniden that will do PL/DPL/and NAC at the same time and it is limited to one range of channels. You can't even save multiple ranges and chose one at a time. Reprogramming of the range is needed to change each time.

Some thing that I consider shortcomings in each part of the scanner, the Hardware, the Software, and the Database.
Hardware -
- audio too quiet for window down driving.
- No scan button to force scanning from an unwanted conversation.
- too tippy without the base
- base does not lock on like a mount.
- cannot have multiple search ranges running, have to reprogram each one
- Extreme features for trunking don't all run at the same time

Software -
- does not allow for remote locating of radio w/ full control

Database (since the database is such an important part it must be considered)
- too many duplicates (one county system loaded the same frequency 26 times)
- many coverage circles are overly optimistic (25 miles for UHF fireground?) resulting in scanning channels many miles out of range.

chris

Viper43

Some thing that I consider shortcomings in each part of the scanner, the Hardware, the Software, and the Database.
Hardware -
- audio too quiet for window down driving.
- No scan button to force scanning from an unwanted conversation.
- too tippy without the base
- base does not lock on like a mount.
- cannot have multiple search ranges running, have to reprogram each one
- Extreme features for trunking don't all run at the same time

Software -
- does not allow for remote locating of radio w/ full control

Database (since the database is such an important part it must be considered)
- too many duplicates (one county system loaded the same frequency 26 times)
- many coverage circles are overly optimistic (25 miles for UHF fireground?) resulting in scanning channels many miles out of range.

chris

How did they try too hard, they did a great job on the HP for the target customer and then made it better for advanced users too. Show me any other scanner that can do all the HP does! Also show me one with the advanced capabilities it has and that do it all at once....

Audio - mount it PROPERLY and you can hear it fine even with the windows down and 3 girls 7 to 11 screaming at each other....
Scan button? simply double tap the channel/department or system and it moves on....no need for a scan button.
To tippy without base- there are lots of mounts that work too....
Base doesn't lock like a mount - see above comment
Canot have multiple search ranges - sure, just make up search ranges using FL.... it aint rocket science...

does not allow for remote locating of radio w/ full control- what, do you need a remote control? Lazy people....

- too many duplicates (one county system loaded the same frequency 26 times)- Do they all have the same PL Tone or no tone? If they have seperate tones then there is a REASON they are in the DB 26 times.... again not rocket science. However if they are all the same then the DB admin needs to clean it up and use it once.

- many coverage circles are overly optimistic (25 miles for UHF fireground?) resulting in scanning channels many miles out of range - Really? How is their boundary OPTOMISTIC since they are set up for the jurisdiction they cover. Also there are other considerations, YOU may not hear them but someone else with a better antenna might. I regularly hear UHF fireground ops on my HP from much farther than 25 miles. On some systems 40 miles isn't out of the question. So what might not work for you might for others.

cg

Premium Subscriber
And I would repeat what I said.
"Some thing(s) that I consider shortcomings...."

Your last sentence pointed out what I consider to be the biggest problem with the database.
"So what might not work for you might for others."
In the database alone, I deal with it. I use other resources, I do searches, and I listen. However when it is coupled with the HP1, it renders the radio ineffective FROM MY POINT OF VIEW. Certainly not worthless, but ineffective.

As for you comment about me being lazy, quite uncalled for.
I put radios in remote locations to capture traffic that I cannot hear at home. I have two 996XTs and HP thin clients using ProScan that I watch and control (program, monitor, record, etc) remotely via the internet.

chris

Last edited:
I have had my HP1 for a little over a week now and thus far I am overall happy with its reception and ease of use. I do however have two complaints about it.

1. I must agree that the volume level is low. It works fine in my house but when I am using it in my truck even with the windows up I can't hear it.

2. My biggest gripe however is the antenna connection. The HP1 uses an SMA connector for its antenna and my external antenna at home is BNC. I purchased and adaptor from Scan Master when I bought this rig, and it has to be one of the cheapest pieces of junk I have ever seen in my life. If I just look at the system, the BNC to SMA connector comes apart. It is only held together by an "O" ring and every time it separates, the connection becomes weaker. After only a week of use I already have the system duct taped and rubber banded together. Why can't Uniden use a Milspec quality antenna connector like the BNC connector as Radio Shack did on my 15 year old Pro 51?

Richard

OCO

Richard:
I've got the same adapter, had it for 3 months still working fine- but I agree it's a weak style. If you search for "SMA male/BNC female antenna adapter " you'll find tons of solid no swivel adapters. Maybe we should ask ScannerMaster to stock that style.. I tightened mine down more than finger tight, but didn't use a wrench, which stopped it from loosening up. While the SMA style is a challenge in some ways, it is a standard connector - I'm pretty sure the reason for the SMA was the size of the case and room available to put a good solidly mounted connector in. If you look around a little, there are lots of complaints regarding the use of BNCs in handhelds .....

Richard:
I've got the same adapter, had it for 3 months still working fine- but I agree it's a weak style. If you search for "SMA male/BNC female antenna adapter " you'll find tons of solid no swivel adapters. Maybe we should ask ScannerMaster to stock that style.. I tightened mine down more than finger tight, but didn't use a wrench, which stopped it from loosening up. While the SMA style is a challenge in some ways, it is a standard connector - I'm pretty sure the reason for the SMA was the size of the case and room available to put a good solidly mounted connector in. If you look around a little, there are lots of complaints regarding the use of BNCs in handhelds .....

Hi old_CJDC_ops

Well I guess you got a good adapter, Mine broke the first time I tried to use it. I only used my fingers to tighten it, and it fell apart just trying to lightly tighten it down.

As far as it fitting inside the case, The BNC is not that much larger. If you run you finger down the back left side of the case, with the front of the unit facing toward you, behind where the SMA connector is, you will feel a bulge to accommodate that connector. IMHO a BNC connector could have been placed in the same location with only a slightly larger bulge.

In the thirty-five+ years that I worked in the Radio Operations, IT, CATV, TV Broadcasting and Video Conferencing industries I have had my hands on literally thousands of BNC connectors and have only experienced one failure of a BNC connector, and that one was due to a manufacturing flaw. Even when I was in the Army in the 70's I humped a PRC77 for hundreds of miles in every condition you could imagine form the arctic at 50 below zero to the desert and never had a failure of a BNC type of connector. I am not saying others haven't, I guess I have just been lucky.

As it stands right now, I don't dare try to disconnect the unit and screw in the unit mounted antenna or a car mount antenna to use when I am driving, as I don't want to spend another 20 minutes trying to tape, rubber band, and adjust my coax cable back up to my home antenna.

Any way I am going to give Scan Master a call tomorrow and see what they have to say about it.

Catch Ya Later,

Richard

Last edited:

OCO

Richard:
No argument on the BNCs themselves, but rather what type of mount - the old four screw flange panel mount or what seems to be used in the handhelds - a D barrel threaded thru panel.. It may be more what they're mounted to as some seem to be just the plastic case with no backer. Whatever the case, the SMA connector itself seems very solid on the HP1. I'm going to look for the solid type of adapter myself,as sooner or later the one I got will crap out - but that in itself isn't a Uniden design issue. BTW- there was another thread in which is was mentioned that both Yaesu and Uniden had supplied the solid type adapter in the past.

Richard:
No argument on the BNCs themselves, but rather what type of mount - the old four screw flange panel mount or what seems to be used in the handhelds - a D barrel threaded thru panel.. It may be more what they're mounted to as some seem to be just the plastic case with no backer. Whatever the case, the SMA connector itself seems very solid on the HP1. I'm going to look for the solid type of adapter myself,as sooner or later the one I got will crap out - but that in itself isn't a Uniden design issue. BTW- there was another thread in which is was mentioned that both Yaesu and Uniden had supplied the solid type adapter in the past.

I think you may have hit the nail on the head. If they would put a thin metal backer plate in the units it probably would solve most of the problems for many different radios. It is a shame that so many companies will not spend 1/2 a penny in mass manufacturing of their products for an itty bitty part that would help their consumers greatly.

Status
Not open for further replies.