Proper service tag for Airline / Ops frequencies?

Status
Not open for further replies.

b52hbuff

Premium Subscriber
I was looking at the reference county:
Bush Intercontinental Airport/Houston (IAH) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference
...and it shows that all aviation frequencies are listed with an 'Aviation' tag.

I refer to the latest version of the Database Administrator's Guide:
http://wiki.radioreference.com/imag...e.com_Database_Administrator_Handbook_1.5.pdf
On page 21, Section 6.5.2, it says:
Aircraft – For civilian aircraft and air traffic control operations most typically in the 118-136 MHz and 225-380 MHz bands in AM mode.
Business – For most business related entities not covered by other tags. Please note that the following tags override the “Business” tag and should always be used instead when they are applicable: Media, Railroad, Security, Transportation and Utilities.

...but for this database page:
Salinas Municipal (SNS) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference
...'Airline Operations' frequencies are tagged with 'Business'.

What is the guideline for tagging FBO and Airline operation frequencies?

hfxChris

Database Admin
I'm not claiming to know the answer to your question, but what I've always done is tagged the actual ATC operations as Aircraft, and the airline ops / FBO as business. Not 100% sure if it's the right way or not, but that was my interpretation of the handbook.

D

DaveNF2G

Airline operational frequencies are usually of interest to aviation listeners rather than general business listeners. It makes sense to tag all of them as Aircraft. That is how I have them tagged in my Favorite lists on the HP-1.

b52hbuff

Premium Subscriber
The intent is for all aircraft frequencies 118-136 to be tagged Aircraft.

Thanks. Assuming that there isn't a change in intent when/if thread runs its course, would it be possible to update the section in the DAG to capture the intent? As it stands, The Aircraft tag is a glaring omission...

Was:
Business – For most business related entities not covered by other tags. Please note that the following tags override the “Business” tag and should always be used instead when they are applicable: Media, Railroad, Security, Transportation and Utilities.

Recommend:
Business – For most business related entities not covered by other tags. Please note that the following tags override the “Business” tag and should always be used instead when they are applicable: Aircraft, Media, Railroad, Security, Transportation and Utilities.

b52hbuff

Premium Subscriber
I was curious to see the state of the California database. Note that there are Aircraft frequencies tagged with Fire-Tac, EMS-Talk, Military, and a couple of Business thrown in for good measure.

Should all of these migrate to Aircraft too?

Frequency Output Agency/Category Description Alpha Tag Service Tag
118.175 Military Operations Regional or Statewide Fort Irwin National Training Center Desert Radio Desert Rdo Military
119.975 LAFD Air Operations Air Ops Helicopters LAFD Air Ops Fire-Tac
122.425 Department of Forestry Fire Protection CAL FIRE Statewide Air Plan Fresno Air Attack Base AAB 4 Fire-Tac
122.575 Department of Forestry Fire Protection CAL FIRE Statewide Air Plan Hemet Santa Maria Columbia and Paso Robles Air Attack Bases AAB 2 Fire-Tac
122.95 Whiteman Airport WHP AirportAircraft Ground Services Whiteman Airport Fuel Co FBO WHP FBO Business
123.2 Range Control Air Primary Range Control LongRifle MCBP LR 1 Military
123.3 Businesses Misc Business Airship Ventures Zepplin Tours Moffet Field AirshipZepln Business
123.975 Department of Forestry Fire Protection CAL FIRE Statewide Air Plan Air Tanker BasetoAircraft Base Victor Fire-Tac
126.2 Military Operations Regional or Statewide Fort Irwin National Training Center Desert Radio Desert Rdo Military
129.95 Co Fire Co Fire Air Operations VenCoFD Air Fire-Tac
130.05 Private Air Ambulance Air Ambulance Dispatch Frequencies Stanford Life Flight Copernicus Peak Lifeflight EMS-Talk
130.075 Fresno Yosemite International FAT Airline Operations Signature Flight Support Signature Business
131.075 Private Air Ambulance Air Ambulance Dispatch Frequencies Medflight Memorial Medical Center Stanislaus County Medflight Fire-Talk
131.675 Private Air Ambulance Air Ambulance Dispatch Frequencies Mercy Air LA Basin and Air to Air Santiago Peak Mercy LA Fire-Talk
132 Fresno Yosemite International FAT Military Operations CA Army NG Operations CA NG Ops Military
133.425 Department of Forestry Fire Protection CAL FIRE Statewide Air Plan San Bernardino Air Attack Base AAB 3 Fire-Tac
134.1 Military Operations Regional or Statewide Fort Irwin National Training Center AAF Bicycle Lake Ops AAF BikeLake Military
135.975 Department of Forestry Fire Protection CAL FIRE Statewide Air Plan Ramona Fox Bishop Hollister and Porterville Air Attack Bases AAB 1 Fire-Tac

radioscan

Radio Sensei
Database Admin
Any specific military use regardless of whether it is in the civil aviation band or not should be tagged as "Military".

b52hbuff

Premium Subscriber
Any specific military use regardless of whether it is in the civil aviation band or not should be tagged as "Military".

Thanks.

The clarification here is that air traffic control is still civilian. Take the Ft. Irwin entry for 118.175
AirNav: KBYS - Bicycle Lake Army Airfield
ADVISORY: 118.175 281.45 41.5FM

...I believe that the ADVISORY tag is air traffic control and should be civilian.

123.2 is a range control for "Long Rifle", so I concur, it should be Military. The rest of the Military tags appear to be correct.

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
Folks, here is the criteria that we are using:

* If it is Air Traffic Control (mil or civ) related - it should be tagged it as "Aircraft."
* Airline company frequencies should be tagged as "Business."
* EMS helo operations should be tagged with their appropriate EMS tags
* Air refueling, range control, air-to-air, MOA etc should all be tagged as military
* Fire fighting operations in the aircraft bands should be tagged with their respective fire tags.

b52hbuff

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for letting us know how these tags are to be used. Hopefully the clarification can get rolled into the next Admin Guide and the reference counties. The reference counties don't reflect this policy and show the confusion that existed about usage...

Status
Not open for further replies.