Proposal for the Uniden Scanner European Users Discussion (USEUD)

Status
Not open for further replies.

iz0kvz

The antenna are made for the US frequencies that might not be optimum for european monitoring.
Look at UPmans measurements of other antennas performance relative to the stock one.
Measuring Relative Antenna Receive Performance - Massively Uninformed
One can see that the stock antenna seems to be tuned to 175Mhz and 415MHz.

/Ubbe

Hi all,
I made a couple of tests in VHF too; in the attached pictures the radio on the right has the original antenna and the 3600 has a more performing diamond SRH-36 antenna.
Test 1) S 5 and perfect audio with the radio on the right, almost unreadable audio and no bars on my 3600.
Test 2) S 7 and perfect audio with the radio on the right, very noisy audio and 2 bars on my 3600.

Please make Your considerations.
Thanks.

IMG_9933.jpgIMG_9934.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lutherb

dmr in Italy it's ok for this scanner?

hi Tony are you resolve the Problem with DMR reception in Italy? i Will Buy the scanner but i find your post!!

iz0kvz

hi Tony are you resolve the Problem with DMR reception in Italy? i Will Buy the scanner but i find your post!!

Unfortunately I did’t resolve anything. The Italian support answered maybe I can’t decode some signals because are present data transmissions together the voice and so the scanner can’t decode it. Such a strange behavior for an emergency scanner!

Anyway here You can find last firmware:
http://www.servicedocs.com/index.asp?document_id=18035

questnz

Tony, batte on. This is an ongoing issue with ALL Uniden made UBC/UBCD scanners. Not only European but also in Aus/NZ versions affected by the same lack of support and updates. Avera NL being a Marketing/Distributing company provide no technical support for the Dealers. Uniden US saying, NOT us, we don't support this model blah blah blah. And they maybe within their geographical distribution rights to do that. So we left with Uniden product with No support and nobody take any responsibility for the problem. I am not the only grumpy old man here. Happy days gentleman.

iz0kvz

I can’t understand if is a software problem, a hardware problem or both. The scanner sensitivity is very poor as I showed in a previous post but I wonder why some Chinese low cost radios decode DMR correctly. Please could somebody of Uniden from everywhere division give a reasonable answer?

racingfan360

Hi all,
I made a couple of tests in VHF too; in the attached pictures the radio on the right has the original antenna and the 3600 has a more performing diamond SRH-36 antenna.
Test 1) S 5 and perfect audio with the radio on the right, almost unreadable audio and no bars on my 3600.
Test 2) S 7 and perfect audio with the radio on the right, very noisy audio and 2 bars on my 3600.
Please make Your considerations.

Is this decoding a DMR signal? If so, I'd suggest you switch off Close Call, and move from NFM to FM modulation. Also check that Digital Decode Threshold is set to AUTO

Last edited:

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Also, ensure that you have never transmitted that close to the scanner (I know you are showing only receive in the photo). If you were to transmit while that close, it would likely damage the scanner's front end, resulting in very poor or no receive.

iz0kvz

Is this decoding a DMR signal? If so, I'd suggest you switch off Close Call, and move from NFM to FM modulation. Also check that Digital Decode Threshold is set to AUTO

Sorry for the late reply; it was not DMR: the transmission heard was a local repeater in FM. I tried also excluding close call, in FM mode and setting threshold mode to Auto. Unfortunately the behavior is the same.

iz0kvz

Also, ensure that you have never transmitted that close to the scanner (I know you are showing only receive in the photo). If you were to transmit while that close, it would likely damage the scanner's front end, resulting in very poor or no receive.

I understand your observation but the transmission shown in photo comes from about 10 miles and it is a local repeater in FM.
Anyway the scanner does not decode most of DMR signal I listen to, also by external antenna on my roof. I’m very disappointed for that.

Valeriy

I understand your observation but the transmission shown in photo comes from about 10 miles and it is a local repeater in FM.
Anyway the scanner does not decode most of DMR signal I listen to, also by external antenna on my roof. I’m very disappointed for that.

I have a 436 (the US version of the 3600), so I understand your disappointment.
I am able to monitor some italian DMR agencies located in Piedmont and Lombardy only with my TYT MD380...
And regarding the analog UHF sensitivity, a little BaoFeng UV-B6 outperforms the 436 and other Unidens on a regular basis, go figure... :)

iz0kvz

The antenna are made for the US frequencies that might not be optimum for european monitoring.
Look at UPmans measurements of other antennas performance relative to the stock one.
Measuring Relative Antenna Receive Performance - Massively Uninformed
One can see that the stock antenna seems to be tuned to 175Mhz and 415MHz.

/Ubbe

Thanks for the observation. The question is why provide an antenna made for US on a model made for European customers?
Anyway, the reported tests have been made using a Diamond SRH-36 plugged to the 3600.
Regards.

Status
Not open for further replies.