• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Proposed Changes to GMRS - Comments Link

Status
Not open for further replies.

KD0TAZ

Feed Provider
My license status is now expired. No use until the new regulations come out. I wonder if their is any schedule to finish the new and improved Part 95.

Bob

Yeah I let mine expire back in November.. I don't use my GMRS that often, so if they're still hashing out what they're gonna do, then I'll keep my $85 until they lay it out.

LiberaFan08

I predict that the FCC will eventually bust GMRS down to a license-free 2 watt narrowband simplex only UHF CB service.The 8 repeater input channels will be added to the existing 22 to make a total of 30 channels. You can complain all you want, but just remember......the government will win in the end. This will most likely happen in less than 5 years.

GMRS is pretty much done. Everyone and their first grader has a cell phone with a family plan and GMRS is pretty much unused these days in Phoenix. In the last two years it has really gone silent, including FRS, for the most part. Kids now call each other on cellphones to make annoying sounds, and no longer use these radios. Or they are texting each other, or using the internet from their smart phone. GMRS is sort of like ham, where only the true die-hards cling to their dying service. Between cell phones and internet, private radio uses is pretty much done for most folks.

Time marches on.

Coffeemug

Premium Subscriber
I am confused about licensing. I hear there's a proposel to extend the license term from 5 to 10 year term, I also hear those who aren't currently licensed, the FCC will no longer issue license for new users.

Dantian

I am confused about licensing.

There have been no changes - yet. The FCC continues to license users and people still keep using GMRS.

No one knows at this moment what the future will hold, although I expect a decision before the year is out.

Many proposals are on the table at FCC in the GMRS proceeding. These concerns were recently raised in person before FCC personnel in Washington:

http://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/ecfs/document/view?id=7021649084

http://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/ecfs/document/view?id=7021656522

APX6000

I use GMRS with my React team. I just this June also got my Personal GMRS license as well. I hear lots of Chatter on GMRS where I am.

W9NES

GMRS is Alive and Well in Metro Indianapolis/Marion County Indiana. We have a Repeater that is very active when we have a major event like the Indy 500 for Traffic and also we have a **Severe Weather Net** that we use and the members will report severe weather conditions.GMRS and FRS is not dead along with Priviate Radio(Business Band) as I hold a license in the 151 Mhz Area. I use FRS in my Residnetial Area for Crime Watch and I have a net every night and during the day all of the neighbors can talk to each other.GMRS, FRS, AND Priviate Radio are very well alive.Use them or we will loose them to another use.

KB7MIB

So, where do we stand now? I never heard of this last year, and since my non-smart phone doesn't do pdf's and I don't have a computer, I can even read the NPRM. What all does it affect in the CB, MURS, GMRS and FRS?

John
ARS KB7MIB/GMRS WPXJ598
Peoria, AZ

KE7IZL

So which frequencies are FRS and which are GRS? Also which FRS and GMRS frequencies require licenses? What are their power levels and antenna limits? If a signal at a frequency uses more than what level of power and/or a certain antenna length on FRS or GMRS radios as a threashold for a license, what is that threashold? Did these requirements change recently?

hockeyshrink

So which frequencies are FRS and which are GRS? Also which FRS and GMRS frequencies require licenses? What are their power levels and antenna limits? If a signal at a frequency uses more than what level of power and/or a certain antenna length on FRS or GMRS radios as a threashold for a license, what is that threashold? Did these requirements change recently?

the Wiki is your friend:

FRS/GMRS combined channel chart - The RadioReference Wiki

FRS radios require fixed antennas (i.e., you cannot remove the rubber duckie and plug in an external antenna). The "threshold for a license" is the frequency - any operation on a GMRS (only) frequency requires a license (channels 15 - 22 and the GMRS input freqs in the Wiki). FRS users may operate on the shared frequencies (channel 01 - 07 in the Wiki) without a license and licensed GMRS users may operate on the shared frequencies at lower power (5 w max).

Last edited:

APX6000

I still Haven't heard of anything concerning the NPRM from the Fcc.I think they are still issuing licenses seeing as I got my License & call sign this past June.

SCPD

QRT
I am confused about licensing. I hear there's a proposel to extend the license term from 5 to 10 year term, I also hear those who aren't currently licensed, the FCC will no longer issue license for new users.

Yes you can still get a license you have a few on here who are negative about GMRS just ignore them buy a license and enjoy!!!

SCPD

QRT
GMRS is pretty much done. Everyone and their first grader has a cell phone with a family plan and GMRS is pretty much unused these days in Phoenix. In the last two years it has really gone silent, including FRS, for the most part. Kids now call each other on cellphones to make annoying sounds, and no longer use these radios. Or they are texting each other, or using the internet from their smart phone. GMRS is sort of like ham, where only the true die-hards cling to their dying service. Between cell phones and internet, private radio uses is pretty much done for most folks.

Time marches on.

I am glad you are such a expert on radio matters you are always negative on anything radio related and love to get heat discussion going on the forums with your negative attitude,stick with your pay for use service we do not need you on either Ham or GMRS troll.....

SCPD

QRT
I predict that the FCC will eventually bust GMRS down to a license-free 2 watt narrowband simplex only UHF CB service.The 8 repeater input channels will be added to the existing 22 to make a total of 30 channels. You can complain all you want, but just remember......the government will win in the end. This will most likely happen in less than 5 years.

Apparently you are to blind to read the proposed rules regarding the new GMRS rules,repeater inputs are still intact and no mention of removing repeaters and the only mention of 2 watts is for hand helds which don't do the best job at accessing a repeater from a distance anyway.

I love how all these crystal ball palm reading experts know everything with their predictions,if people would use the service as intended buy getting licensed and following rules GMRS would he a better service

People over the last several generations have adopted a "I don't care" "It works for me" attitude its no wonder this nation is going straight to Hades and it is all the fault of ignorant people who have lost all common sense and follow the crowd which always gets you in trouble to start with.

I will get off my soap box now I just need to vent every now and then...

prat1051

Hanging in There

I will get off my soap box now I just need to vent every now and then...

spd640 - if it makes you feel any better I just renewed my GMRS license after a 3 year lapse and purchased two Icom F21s on Ebay - I plan to make more use of the service now with some higher output radios. It still works very well for some things.

SCPD

QRT
spd640 - if it makes you feel any better I just renewed my GMRS license after a 3 year lapse and purchased two Icom F21s on Ebay - I plan to make more use of the service now with some higher output radios. It still works very well for some things.

Proud of you brother glad to see some people don't snub their nose at the rules and I think you will enjoy the f21 Icom makes good radios I am a Icom man myself

Dantian

Apparently you are to blind to read the proposed rules regarding the new GMRS rules,repeater inputs are still intact and no mention of removing repeaters

"The proposal as it stands not only would eliminate licenses, but any age limits as well. ...No licensing also would mean the end of the limits on commercial businesses usurping or taking over GMRS for business band use.

"No licensing would also result in the end of any meaningful way to regulate or limit who uses a repeater. If you operate a repeater, or if you are part of a group that sponsors a repeater, this could destroy your ability to control who uses your system. It's vital to make the FCC aware of the absolute necessity for licensing for shared use of repeaters.

"Both call signs and any identification would be eliminated under the proposed new rules. ... [C]oordinating with others in the absence of any identification is completely unworkable and totally impractical.

"While the new rules as now proposed do not eliminate repeaters in GMRS, the discussion portion of the Notice (at paragraph 34) questions if repeaters and even base stations unduly use up too much of the limited spectrum (frequencies) for GMRS. It's vital to explain to the FCC how necessary repeaters and base stations are to the service, and how limited GMRS would be without them."

Excerpted from:

A GUIDELINE TO ISSUES RAISED IN FCC WT DOCKET NO. 10-119 (GMRS)

By P. Randall Knowles, J.D., KAA 8142; June 21, 2010

http://home.provide.net/~prsg/issues10-119.txt

Status
Not open for further replies.