ProScan: ProScan Multiple Instance Install

Status
Not open for further replies.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
I asked a question in another thread and either it got busy and overlooked or it was not seen, and I have had some time to revise my question into several. When I first got ProScan it was for my BCD536HP. Since then I have added an SDS100, BCT15X, BC125AT and an SDS200 to my desk. To add instances of ProScan for each scanner, I simply highlighted the main .exe file in the original folder and right-clicked 'Send To Desktop as Shortcut' and then renamed the shortcut the same as the designated scanner. Have all the icons lined up and ready to go. Everything working perfectly, all displays rock. Nary a single complaint.

1) I do not have individual folders with dll files for each scanner. Should I reinstall each instance and make sure they are in individual folders?

2) Is my install (or lack thereof) the reason why they all read 536hp on the title bars?

3) I take it this is the reason why my 536hp is the only scanner where that instance of ProScan logs at the bottom?

4) So I should disconnect everything. Delete the shortcuts I created for each scanner/ProScan instance. Make folders for each scanner and name them accordingly, then copy the .exe file and dll file from the original folder and paste them into each folder. Send the exe file of each folder to the desktop as a shortcut icon and rename them accordingly for each scanner. Initiate each of them and assign ports. Am I missing anything?

Thanks for the help!

JD
kf4anc

W5RGP

I asked a question in another thread and either it got busy and overlooked or it was not seen, and I have had some time to revise my question into several. When I first got ProScan it was for my BCD536HP. Since then I have added an SDS100, BCT15X, BC125AT and an SDS200 to my desk. To add instances of ProScan for each scanner, I simply highlighted the main .exe file in the original folder and right-clicked 'Send To Desktop as Shortcut' and then renamed the shortcut the same as the designated scanner. Have all the icons lined up and ready to go. Everything working perfectly, all displays rock. Nary a single complaint.

1) I do not have individual folders with dll files for each scanner. Should I reinstall each instance and make sure they are in individual folders?

2) Is my install (or lack thereof) the reason why they all read 536hp on the title bars?

3) I take it this is the reason why my 536hp is the only scanner where that instance of ProScan logs at the bottom?

4) So I should disconnect everything. Delete the shortcuts I created for each scanner/ProScan instance. Make folders for each scanner and name them accordingly, then copy the .exe file and dll file from the original folder and paste them into each folder. Send the exe file of each folder to the desktop as a shortcut icon and rename them accordingly for each scanner. Initiate each of them and assign ports. Am I missing anything?

Thanks for the help!

JD
kf4anc
each instance of proscan needs to be in its own folder
as in
D:\Proscan\Scanner1
D:\Proscan\Scanner2
D:\Proscan\Scanner3
D:\Proscan\Scanner4
D:\Proscan\Scanner5

is how i have mine
then i rename the shortcuts to say like

BCD536-1
BCD536-2
BCD536-3
BCD536-4

BCD436-1
BCD436-2

SDS100
SDS200

and so on

cg

Premium Subscriber
You can edit the top line of the Proscan Window (header) to read what you want after the scanner icon and the word "Proscan"
In the menu, go to OPTIONS, GENERAL, then 3rd line down is where you can edit the display.
So I have 4 copies of Proscan and the 3rd one is using a 996P2. I use:
3 - %ST - %C - %U2
Which, when stopped on a local PD the header might say:
Proscan 3 - 996P2 - HPD 1 North - HPD Car 21

chris

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
Hmm... exactly what files do I need to copy into each scanner folder from the original mother folder? I copied the entire contents (11 files in original installation folder) into each named folder, then right clicked each separate exe file and sent it to desktop as a shortcut and renamed it to each corresponding scanner and everything is whacky now. I am now getting 996 graphics on the BC125AT user interface, and my whole computer now has horrible lag, then it froze on me. Afraid to corrupt any sd cards with improper shutdown, I waited it out and it took almost 20 minutes to shut down all the instances of ProScan and ease out of it. Searching the threads I read a post where someone said to copy only the exe file and 'the' dll file into each individual folder - so only 2 files in each separate folder? Which dll? Everything was working so good and in the quest for organization I screwed the pooch on this one. I should have left well enough alone! Help! lol

JD
kf4anc

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
Hmm... exactly what files do I need to copy into each scanner folder from the original mother folder? I copied the entire contents (11 files in original installation folder) into each named folder, then right clicked each separate exe file and sent it to desktop as a shortcut and renamed it to each corresponding scanner and everything is whacky now. I am now getting 996 graphics on the BC125AT user interface, and my whole computer now has horrible lag, then it froze on me. Afraid to corrupt any sd cards with improper shutdown, I waited it out and it took almost 20 minutes to shut down all the instances of ProScan and ease out of it. Searching the threads I read a post where someone said to copy only the exe file and 'the' dll file into each individual folder - so only 2 files in each separate folder? Which dll? Everything was working so good and in the quest for organization I screwed the pooch on this one. I should have left well enough alone! Help! lol

JD
kf4anc

The reason "everything is whacky now" is probably because you copied the ProScan.cfg(config) file to each folder so all instances have the same scanner type selected.

Just copy the ProScan.exe and ProScan1.dll files to each folder.
After you start an instance, you will want to change the options (or config.) pertaining to that instance.

Last edited:

N9JIG

Sheriff
I typically run about 20 instances of ProScan at the same time on my radio computer. Here is how I do it, it is really simple! I recently had to rebuild my radio PC due to an unrealted drive failure, then a week or two later I replaced it with a new PC anyway. I could have just copied the entire group of instances over to the new PC but it only took 15 minutes or so to recreate the entire thing on the new one anyway.

Install ProScan:
  1. Run the ProScan installer as normal.
  2. Select a folder location to install it at, I use c:\Radio\ProScan
  3. After the installation is done run and register the program, set your normal parameters with color schemes, radio types for the most common radios you have etc. Since most of my radios are BCT15's I set the radio type to that, then after I am done I only have to change the radio type on those instances that are not BCT15's.
  4. Copy the entire folder containing the .exe, .dlls, etc. and paste as many instances as you need.
  5. Rename each folder to a unique name, I use the Com Port number, you could use your radio model etc., ProScan01, ProScan02 etc.
  6. Within each folder right-click the Proscan.exe file and "Send to Desktop (Create Shortcut)" and then rename that shortcut so you know what radio it is.
  7. Run each instance and set the radio type (if needed) and com port number/IP to match the radio.
When there is a Version Update do this:
  1. Run the new installer, setting the install location to a unique folder ("C:\ProScan99" or something).
  2. Copy the .exe and .dll files.
  3. Paste these into each of your ProScan folders you have created, replacing the original ones.
This keeps you from having to recreate all your shortcuts and retains all your data files. It also retains all your color schemes, port settings and other parameters. All the data logged is saved within the individual folder for the particular instance.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
Thanks a million, guys! Had plans after church today but all of a sudden it's a snow day, so we scampered back home and lit a fire. Nice quiet afternoon to get this straightened out. Big thanks to Bob and Rich. You guys are the best!

JD
kf4anc

N9JIG

Sheriff
One more thing to remember is that when you set things up you will probably end up using a USB hub and various USB cables. Be sure that if you have to unplug things and plug them in again to plug each cable and the hub into the same ports they all were before or you will have to go in and change all the Comm Port settings again to match. Benn there, done that!

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
One more thing to remember is that when you set things up you will probably end up using a USB hub and various USB cables. Be sure that if you have to unplug things and plug them in again to plug each cable and the hub into the same ports they all were before or you will have to go in and change all the Comm Port settings again to match. Benn there, done that!

Yep, have an 8-port hub and all ports labeled to corresponding scanners. Learned that lesson a while back, the hard way, of course. Thanks Rich!

JD
kf4anc

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
Ok we are finished, all individually updated. Everything working as it should, except for one little thing, I've lost the face of the 125AT to the face of a 996xt but it's working. The gui before was either 352 or 125AT, but now the 996XT and this is not a biggie, as it all is working perfectly, loading lickety-split, and zero lag on the station computer. Sunday afternoon success - the ProScan virtual display graphics look awesome, thanks again, guys!

JD
kf4anc

W5RGP

Yep, have an 8-port hub and all ports labeled to corresponding scanners. Learned that lesson a while back, the hard way, of course. Thanks Rich!

JD
kf4anc

What 8port hub are you using
I had an off brand 8port that never worked like it should I’m using 2 4ports plus I have about 6 xtra USB ports on computer also

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
Mine is no-name ebay special - $20? Works like a champ. Altho not enough power to sufficiently charge my SDS100, so that is the only scanner plugged into Dell cpu direct.

N9JIG

Sheriff
Ok we are finished, all individually updated. Everything working as it should, except for one little thing, I've lost the face of the 125AT to the face of a 996xt but it's working. The gui before was either 352 or 125AT, but now the 996XT and this is not a biggie, as it all is working perfectly, loading lickety-split, and zero lag on the station computer. Sunday afternoon success - the ProScan virtual display graphics look awesome, thanks again, guys!

JD
kf4anc

Did you check the Radio Type in the affected instance?

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
Yes, I did, Rich. The drop down menu does not include the 125AT in radio type. So I read on here that it would work if you chose the 352, which I tried, but still comes up 996XT. If I disconnect and bring up the com port window, choose auto-detect, it will read BC125AT. Choose select and it works but always comes up with the 996XT interface. Don't know how to change it, but it works in a limited fashion. Some things do not work such as when I click on light to adjust it, will not correspond, little things like that. But it shows on the interface what's happening on the radio, so there's that. At least I got something with a radio supposedly not supported, so I don't have anything to complain about. Maybe Bob will tweak it to work with ProScan in the future, maybe not. I'm surprised it works at all! So, I am happy even that it partially works!

JD
kf4anc

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
The BCD325P2 and BCD996P2 interfaces are the same. Only difference is the text shown above the display indicates the model.

Status
Not open for further replies.