ProVoice

Status
Not open for further replies.

dbs1023

just curious if anyone knows who all around central arkansas uses provoice. i'm thinking about doing the upgrade but I don't want to waste money if I will not pick up anything extra.

boy7777777777

I’ve not encountered any provoice at all down in that area,but I don’t search for new frequencies when I’m down there. I just use the information that’s in radioreference.

dbs1023

DMR

I just purchased the DMR upgrade and have been working on getting my radio programmed for it. I came across several HAM DMR repeaters that I have not been able to locate in radio reference. DMR is something new to me and I didn't do much research on it before hand. i'm hoping someone can give me some pointers.

this is the page I found that lists the DMR repeaters.
https://www.repeaterbook.com/repeaters/feature_search.php?state_id=05&type=DMR

dbs1023

I’ve not encountered any provoice at all down in that area,but I don’t search for new frequencies when I’m down there. I just use the information that’s in radioreference.

i'm glad i didn't go ahead and purchase the ProVoice upgrade then.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
just curious if anyone knows who all around central arkansas uses provoice. i'm thinking about doing the upgrade but I don't want to waste money if I will not pick up anything extra.
Looking at the Arkansas database, I only see two EDACS systems, both for American Electric Power. Neither is using ProVoice.

The last ProVoice system in my area, DFW Airport, is set to switch to a new P25 Phase II system in the next month or two. I upgraded one of my scanner when the upgrade came out, so that I could hear the airport. So, I've gotten over a year's use on the upgrade. Couple of other systems in Texas are still ProVoice, but neither is in my immediate area.

troymail

Silent Key
I just purchased the DMR upgrade and have been working on getting my radio programmed for it. I came across several HAM DMR repeaters that I have not been able to locate in radio reference. DMR is something new to me and I didn't do much research on it before hand. i'm hoping someone can give me some pointers.

this is the page I found that lists the DMR repeaters.
https://www.repeaterbook.com/repeaters/feature_search.php?state_id=05&type=DMR

That is the place to look for Amateur DMR repeaters near you. Depending on the repeater, you may or may not hear/be close enough to hear them but they tend to cover fairly large areas.

Some have taken the time to add these repeaters to the database for their area - others, not so much.

Here are some examples:

https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=8983

https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=9243

wbswetnam

I believe that the nearest ProVoice system is Oklahoma City, OK - nowhere near Arkansas. At one time, before AWIN went P25, they had a semi-statewide EDACS system in the 1990s / early 2000s but it was analog EDACS and not digital.

dbs1023

thank you guys for the help. i think i'll steer clear of the update. So far i've figured out the DMR programming and it does have really good range if outdoors, as soon as I walk inside I loose anything I once had on DMR.

wbswetnam

thank you guys for the help. i think i'll steer clear of the update. So far i've figured out the DMR programming and it does have really good range if outdoors, as soon as I walk inside I loose anything I once had on DMR.

It depends on how your house is constructed. If it is a brick home, or (worse) you have aluminum siding, then yes you will have some signal attenuation. Almost any antenna outside will be an improvement over an antenna inside.

Status
Not open for further replies.