• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

PSP Slim Unit nice to have or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedPenguin

Premium Subscriber
I was looking at http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Sony-PSP-Core-System-98510/sem/rpsm/oid/193374/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do#prodspecs

That's one of the new slims right?

The following is true, is it not?

I read that all over the Internet, that they now have:

1. A web browser
2. Can do shoutcast streams (don't have to be shoutcast streams right from shoutcast.com right?)
3. Support 802.11b/g
4. Can actually support a Digital TV Tuner
5. Can actually support a GPS unit
6. Can play XVID, DIVX?

Is at least the first 3 things true about the PSP? That's mainly what I need it for, but I would still find it cool if it could take a TV Tuner card and a GPS.

Is there anything that I should know? I mean is there some reason that I should not buy a PSP?

It looks like the PSP is an extremely mod-cable device, that is nice and portable, but I never had a chance to use one, so I can really only go by the web, so I'm curious if anyone have major problems with them or something.

It looks to me like the PSP would completely fit my needs

Ch1ronTL34

I'm not sure about internet access or GPS capabilities, but i know that the PSP is nice to have if you're in a waiting room or on the subway or bus. It's great for killing time. Mine is modded so you can drag and drop games onto the memory stick, so I have hundreds of original nintendo games on it.

shaft

Ive never head of the TV tuner or GPS capabilities, but it does have built in WiFi.
It can do shoutcast streams. I've never tried XviD or Divx files, but can play mpeg4 movies.

I too am using a homebrew firmware so I dont have to use that pesky UMD drive.
Nice thing about the PSP is the remote play capability to my PS3. I have videos stored on my PC that can play thru the PS3, across the internet and view them on my PSP anywhere I have WiFi access.

From what I understand, the PSP slim has the ability to connect to your TV and play videos on it. The original or FAT PSP (which I have) cannot.

For the money, it well worth the price.

RC54730

Ch1ronTL34 said:
I'm not sure about internet access or GPS capabilities, but i know that the PSP is nice to have if you're in a waiting room or on the subway or bus. It's great for killing time. Mine is modded so you can drag and drop games onto the memory stick, so I have hundreds of original nintendo games on it.
I'll second this. I purchased one to keep myself busy on flights overseas. However, there is only once nice thing about the PSP - it's a good platform if you want video games and MP3s in one package. Everything else? Forget it - buy a PocketPC or something.

The main problem is that it's too big. You have to carry it in a bag or something. Great for taking on a plane trip, but just looks stupid everywhere else. The web browser is nice, certainly better than my Blackberry, but you don't have a keypad - you have to enter text using the game controller buttons, and that sucks, even if it's just a URL you are typing.

If you can do without the video game part of it, there are a million other devices that are much better choices for MP3 + internet access kind of stuff. If you have to have the video games, then it is awesome.

In terms of modding them, Sony actively tries to discourage this by changing the firmware to thwart hackers with each update. You have to stay on specific versions of the firmware in order to mod it, etc.

RedPenguin

Premium Subscriber
Well, than what can I do?

Well, I don't really want the video game part, I just mainly want a nice Internet device that can basically do the following but isn't really over $200.

I mainly need the following:

1. Web Browser (I would like to be able to use this site and others)
2. Shoutcast Stream (I figure it would be cool to hear public safety feeds on the go).
3. Takes random notes (I wish to mark down radio stations and scanner freqs that I find)
4. Optional - Possibly ability to run TeamSpeak - if not oh well
5. Must be fairly portable - I would like to hold it in my hand if I can. Anything close to the PSP size would be appropriate.

Oh and obviously for 1 and 2 it must have 802.11b/g because I defiantly will not always be connected to a phone line or cat 5 cable of course.

Does anyone here have a device that they recommend for what I need or should I just stick with the PSP?

Last edited:

shaft

RedPenguin said:
Well, I don't really want the video game part, I just mainly want a nice Internet device that can basically do the following but isn't really over $200.

I mainly need the following:

1. Web Browser (I would like to be able to use this site and others)
2. Shoutcast Stream (I figure it would be cool to hear public safety feeds on the go).
3. Takes random notes (I wish to mark down radio stations and scanner freqs that I find)
4. Optional - Possibly ability to run TeamSpeak - if not oh well
5. Must be fairly portable - I would like to hold it in my hand if I can. Anything close to the PSP size would be appropriate.

Oh and obviously for 1 and 2 it must have 802.11b/g because I defiantly will not always be connected to a phone line or cat 5 cable of course.

Does anyone here have a device that they recommend for what I need or should I just stick with the PSP?
Perhaps an iTouch is more along the lines of what you are looking for.
The browser on the PSP isnt friendly and you wont be able to take notes with the PSP.

RedPenguin

Premium Subscriber
Hmmm

shaft said:
Perhaps an iTouch is more along the lines of what you are looking for.
The browser on the PSP isnt friendly and you wont be able to take notes with the PSP.
Dang, the iTouch looks very nice and like it would be a much better choice but too bad the size and prices are not really matching up for me right now.

Any known good site to have them cheaper then retail stores? Retail stores are ok, but they seem to make them sometimes $50-$100+ more than what you can buy them from some online sites.

EDIT: Now that I relook at some of them, it looks like I can probably get the biggest size I see so far, the 32GB. It will be kinda replacement though, because my Zen is a 30GB.

I liked my Zen very much, but I swear, I was so annoyed that nobody seemed to make anything at all for the Zen. I guess it's like the Windows everything is made for and less made for Mac story.

Last edited:

RedPenguin

Premium Subscriber
Uhhhh why so many choices?........

Now I'm thinking about a PocketPC or the Asus EEE PC.

The 8GB Asus PC is a little higher in price that I would wish it to be but it's nice.

Go-24

RedPenguin said:
Sounds like you want a PDA ... you can find them on ebay for around what you are looking to pay - there are dozens to choose from.

RedPenguin

Premium Subscriber
Yeah

Go-24 said:
Sounds like you want a PDA ... you can find them on ebay for around what you are looking to pay - there are dozens to choose from.
I think that's what I'm looking for, I see the Asus EEE pc, but they still don't look like a completely handheld, seems like you still need a table or something to use it.

Now I can either get the iTouch or a Pocket PC. It looks like the iTouch isn't exactly what I want. So I guess the only real choice for me is a Pocket PC. Palms are ok but I would rather have a Windows OS. (No, I don't love and adore Windows, actually a Linux fan, but when Windows has the most support, what can you really do?)

EDIT: I found http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/HP-iPAQ-111-Classic-Handheld-PDA-FA979AA-ABA/sem/rpsm/oid/196084/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do which is the HP iPAQ 111 Classic Handheld PDA, which doesn't look that bad to me. Anyone think this is not a good purchase?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.