PSR-300 No power

Status
Not open for further replies.

meplat

Premium Subscriber
Before I send this unit away for repairs, I'd like some suggestions as to what you think might be wrong. The radio was purchased two years ago and used continuously until six months ago. I was away. The unit was stored with no batteries installed and kept inside in a locked drawer in my office. No one touched it.

This morning, I put four fresh Duracell batteries in it and turned the unit on. Nothing happened. No display. No noise with the squelch fully over. It was dead. Checked the batteries in another device. They are fine.

It worked fine until the day I put it away.

Slow electrons?
Bad phases of the moon?
Voodoo curse?

Has anyone had a similar problem?

blangell

Before I send this unit away for repairs, I'd like some suggestions as to what you think might be wrong. The radio was purchased two years ago and used continuously until six months ago. I was away. The unit was stored with no batteries installed and kept inside in a locked drawer in my office. No one touched it.

This morning, I put four fresh Duracell batteries in it and turned the unit on. Nothing happened. No display. No noise with the squelch fully over. It was dead. Checked the batteries in another device. They are fine.

It worked fine until the day I put it away.

Slow electrons?
Bad phases of the moon?
Voodoo curse?

Has anyone had a similar problem?
meplat, were the batteries loaded in the holder correctly???....My PSR500 will appear dead if just one battery is in backwards.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
So many possibilities. I no longer use that brand of battery. Although you tried them in another device, was it a device that uses ~100ma of current? Flashlights and remote controls don't draw that much.

A connection in the battery holder or the contacts between the battery holder and scanner could be tarnished and not making connection. You should be able to put the batteries in and measure 6 volts with a volt meter at the holder terminals.

Did you try external power, whether from a wall adapter or car adapter?

The things I find are problems are (in order): batteries, connections, the power jack itself (there's a switch in there that might not make contact).

meplat

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the suggestions. The batteries were in the right way and I checked the contacts, The batteries were checked in another handheld scanner and my 2 meter handheld as well.

I'll be sending it away. All the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.