PSR-300 question

Status
Not open for further replies.

iabowhunter

I bought a PSR-300 a few weeks ago and love it. Every now and then when someone is talking a little lightning bolt shows up in the lower right hand corner of the display. I have looked through the owners manual to find out what that means when it appears but have found nothing. Can some one tell me what that little lightning bold represents?

This scanner is awesome. Thursday night S.E Iowa was getting hammered with tornados and I was monitoring 5 counties surrounding my area with a 20 dollar radio shack rubber duckie antenna....in my basement. Lots of action that night!

Thanks,
Phil

mikey60

iabowhunter said:
I bought a PSR-300 a few weeks ago and love it. Every now and then when someone is talking a little lightning bolt shows up in the lower right hand corner of the display. I have looked through the owners manual to find out what that means when it appears but have found nothing. Can some one tell me what that little lightning bold represents?

This scanner is awesome. Thursday night S.E Iowa was getting hammered with tornados and I was monitoring 5 counties surrounding my area with a 20 dollar radio shack rubber duckie antenna....in my basement. Lots of action that night!

Thanks,
Phil

It means that the radio is recieving a CTCSS(PL) or DCS tone on that frequency.

Mike

iabowhunter

Thank you. That also explains the CT: 107.2 and DC: 311 that appears in the lower left hand corner. I assume that sub-frequency is restricted to angicies such as the Iowa State Patrol and bigger citys, kind of a privite line that just law enforcement can communicate on.

Thanks again.

mikey60

iabowhunter said:
Thank you. That also explains the CT: 107.2 and DC: 311 that appears in the lower left hand corner. I assume that sub-frequency is restricted to angicies such as the Iowa State Patrol and bigger citys, kind of a privite line that just law enforcement can communicate on.

Thanks again.

CTCSS and DCS tones are typically used to control access to a repeater. A radio programmed with one of these tones will only hear other radios with the same tone in the transmitted signal.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.