PSR-310 For Monitoring Aircraft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mojaveflyer

Premium Subscriber
I was out shooting photos of aircraft yesterday and met a guy who is looking for a scanner capable of monitoring both VHF & UHF aircraft bands. I thought of the PSR-310 but wondered if anyone here has had experience with this radio for the aircraft bands... Any thoughts from the "panel of experts?" I'm currently using a Uniden 396 but he wasn't really interested in listening to anything other than aircraft. Thanks!

datainmotion

Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (Clacking rocks together: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.4; en-us; DROID X2 Build/4.5.1A-DTN-150-30) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

I love mine for aircraft monitoring, but would recommend an aftermarket antenna such as the Diamond RH771 (also sold as the CCrane Radio Super Gainer).

Last edited:

wingmaker

I would say for sure good for aircraft my ST2 with the 310 doesnt seem to get the 200 or 300 mhz that good that i have heard but 118-138mhz pretty good some of that ARTCC Disp are hard to hear but planes full signal pretty much all the time that is all just my expierence from that scanner and the ST2 antenna and my area Blessing

abear27

I think the 310 is a good choice - It balances coverage with price pretty well.

But definitely replace the stock antenna - You can find airband special antennas, but at the price they cost I am still loving the wideband Watson 881's.

N8IAA

I have the BC125AT (similar price) and really like it for airband. I am using a Diamond RH77CA antenna with it.

+1 on the 125AT. It is going to be a better alternative than the 310. The 125AT was designed to operate in the the milair VHF/UHF bands, along with conventional public service. Doesn't include the 700/800MHz trunking frequencies, so less chance of interference. It has alphatags and 500 channels in 10 banks. If he is plane spotting, he'll not need more than that. I just haven't pulled the plug on one yet.
HTH,
Larry

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
Highly Recommend!

2 thumbs up on the 310 for aircraft! I use the Diamond RH77CA antenna! Perfect match! Everything is right about this radio, the price, the performance, no worries!

Manny

eagleswings01

I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THE 310 FOR AVIATION! I have several videos about the 310 on YouTube if you'd like to pass along the link:

eagleswingsrc's Channel - YouTube

Also, I have several aviation videos with ATC going on while filming. I love my 310 and only use it for aviation while plane spotting!

I would agree with everyone on replacing the stock ducky. I'm using the RS 20-006 but am thinking about getting the Diamond RH77.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.