PSR-310 some voice channels missing

Status
Not open for further replies.

jobob

My PSR-310 seems to receive only half the available voice channels on a particular TSYS. It receives all traffic but half the time it shows only the group ID and no frequency or audio. I have a PRO-95 programmed only with the VCs for the same TSYS and the PRO-95 produces the audio I cannot receive on the PSR-310. Both radios resume scanning together as the transmission is complete. The TSYS is part of a multi site system but this TSYS has the strongest signal and is the only site of this system programmed in the radio (not mobile). The only other TSYS I have programmed (with a different scanlist) in the radio is a university system that doesn't seem to have this problem (so far). I have more tests to run but I thought this might be obvious for someone else who may have already experienced this.

jobob

Thanks - (UCAN Public Safety, UT state wide networked) Motorolla type II, Utah CO Simulcast control channel and one backup, group wildcard, scan list 01 (problem example).

The one that seems to work so far is BYU Motorolla type II, 4 control channels, group wildcard, scan list 02..

Scanning one list at a time or manual mode. Simple as I could make it to test the radio.

N8IAA

Thanks - (UCAN Public Safety, UT state wide networked) Motorolla type II, Utah CO Simulcast control channel and one backup, group wildcard, scan list 01 (problem example).

The one that seems to work so far is BYU Motorolla type II, 4 control channels, group wildcard, scan list 02..

Scanning one list at a time or manual mode. Simple as I could make it to test the radio.

In Manual mode, have you pushed the TSYS button to take it to ANALYZ? This allows you to see the the strength of the CC in %. Are you programming by hand? Using software? I'm familiar with the 106 and 197 which are similar in programming, other than digital. Have not had my hands on the new GRE. You can use Win500 to program the 310, along with a premium subscription to RR. Make sure all your TGID's are in the correct ScanList.
HTH,
Larry

mikey60

Make sure you have set the UCAN system to use the rebanded tables. That would explain why you may be missing some channels...

Mike

jobob

Thanks for the replies. To answer the questions first: 1. the CC is 99% or 5 bars signal strength on all VCs and CC. Programming by hand if that helps. The problem is one wildcard TGID on one TSYS in one scan list – the scan mode stops on CC activity but only displays and plays half the active VCs, the other VCs are silent and shows “ID Wildcard” - the scan mode waits to resume after their transmissions are complete.
2. Rebanding came to mind first but UCAN was the first to reband and this is not the first generation of rebanded scanners. Do I have to make an adjustment for all rebanded systems and what would it be? I have been through the book and all the menus. The only things related I can see is the multi site (tried all selections), T Tables, and fleet map selections (set to type II). It isn’t the first and last items. T Tables is not explained in the manual. What are they and how do they work?

Additional testing shows 3 frequencies 853.3375, 852.0875, 853.0625 are consistently shown and heard with CC activity while 4 frequencies 852.9500, 852.375, 851.975, 852.325 are consistently not displayed as a VC and not heard on PSR-310, but they are heard on the PSR-310 and PRO-95 as conventional repeaters using TUNE function. When activity is found on these 4 frequencies, the display shows “ID Wildcard” instead of the VC and the entire text of the display flickers. Also, once in a while the PSR-310 displays and plays 863.9375 where there is no signal, just noise. Sometimes the radio resumes from this and sometimes it doesn’t.

The next step is to program my PSR-400 to this TSYS and see how that radio performs.

All the frequencies listed above are included in the DB and I can hear on the PRO 95 the continued conversations and see both radios resume scan together.

DonS

Yes, you have to specifically set up the TSYS for "rebanded" trunking tables. You haven't yet, and that's why a) you never see those other VCs and b) "the entire text of the display flickers".

On the PSR-310, set the "T Tables" item in the TSYS to "Custom", then program these two entries (in this order):
Code:
Lo Chan   Hi Chan   Offset   Base         Step   
  440       559      440     851.025000   25.000
    0       719        0     851.012500   25.000

jobob

Wow, thanks! I will try it. That was the only thing left. It would be nice if the manual covered this instead of explaining the general concept of trunking 3X over. Is there somewhere I can go to learn how this function works? The pattern is not readily obvious to me just by looking at it. I would like to understand how it works. Are these numbers based on rebanding in general or are they specific to the CCs of this TSYS?
Many many thanks!

DonS

The values/settings I posted above are the general case for rebanded 800MHz Motorola (3600bps CC) systems. They should be sufficient for most such systems. A third entry might be:
Code:
Lo Chan   Hi Chan   Offset   Base         Step   
  720       759        0     848.000000   25.000

DonS

The pattern is not readily obvious to me just by looking at it. I would like to understand how it works.
The RR Wiki has a description of how Motorola trunking works. Essentially, the CC sends a talkgroup ID and a channel number. The channel number maps to a frequency based on "tables". In the past, there were 800MHz "standard" and "splinter" tables. For rebanding, Motorola took the "standard" table and moved channels 440-559 to a different frequency range. My 3 table entries above are the first two "standard" table entries preceded by the "rebanded" entry.

Without the "rebanded" table entry, the scanner tries to map channels 440-559 to the old, "standard" frequencies.

jobob

Works great! Thanks again Don for the programming and education! After having read many articles you directed me to, I can see what you are doing. It's about 95% clear but I'm working on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.