• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

PSR-500 audio hiss

Status
Not open for further replies.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
My apologies if this has been answered previously.

I just bought my first PSR-500 at Hamvention, and noticed yesterday that there is a constant hiss from the speaker while scanning. From my days of working on stereos, it sounds like part of keeping theAF amp transistors biased. (The hiss is only discernible when using the radio in quiet areas.)

Is this a common issue with the 500s? Maybe something that only shows with scanning certain types of systems?

Thanks in advance.

E-Man

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I do not own a 500, but it sounds like it suffers the same hiss found on the 96.

Mine has it, but it is NEVER quite enough at my house with 3 kids, 2 dogs and a father-in-law to ever hear it often. LOL.

It is a very slight hiss. It must be near dead quite to hear it on mine.

I also notice the background hiss gets louder as signal strength gets weaker. I think this is a GRE thing. Also hear it on Radio Shack scanners I own.

Status
Not open for further replies.