• PSR-500 Current Design

Votes: 28 56.0%
  • RadioShack Pro-106

Votes: 8 16.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

BuiltonAsus

Looking back at the original thread that first introduced the PSR-500 I've noticed there are some design changes that have occurred, and some that seem to be on par with the upcoming RadioShack release. Looking at all three, I believe I like the original design and color.

Just checking to see what others think. Vote which one appeals to you more. Vote:

1. Original Design
2. Current GRE PSR-500 Design
3. Upcoming RadioShack PRO-106

Last edited:

wnjl

The new Radio Shack one looks too...Radio Shack-ish, lol. Not that I have anything against RS scanners, they are what got me hooked into scanning. I think I'd actually go with the original design too.

abqscan

DataBase Administrator
The PSR-500 was designed for RS. That's why the original design looks like the Pro-106. =)

texasemt13

CenTex DBA
Premium Subscriber
I'm not a big fan of the lower speaker on the 106... The PSR-500 is appealling to me because of speaker location (I prefer the 2nd edition though), to me the first with all it's colors looks to "walkie-talkieish," if you will.

FJB2022

Premium Subscriber
I would prefer the speaker location of the current PSR-500, but with the black case like the one on the left.

GTO_04

I agree. I think if the PSR-500 would have been black it would have looked better and I think the speaker looks funny on the bottom.

WayneH

Forums Veteran
Super Moderator
With the speaker on the bottom there's a greater chance of it being blocked (e.g., you put it in a pocket).

raisindot

Vote me for current design

Personally, I think the current design has the right balance of form and functionality. I don't like the idea of having the speaker on the bottom--it projects less, and could be potentially be affected by sound absorbing material you might put the scanner on (for example, if you put the scanner on a piece of felt or cloth).

The current designs gives the right amount of real estate to the buttons--the area seems more cramped on the other designs, and is much closer in appearance to a blackberry/cell phone format, which I like.

In terms of colors, the gray/metal case of the PSR500 doesn't bug me a bit. I keep the thing in a case anyway, so all I'm seeing is the display and buttons.

Suzie

N8IAA

You didn't put (none of the above) on the poll. I truly think that GRE should have made a scanner the size of the 396. As much as I like both my 96 and 97, they need to be in smaller cases. When I go out, pocket sized scanners fit my lifestyle. I'm sure there are more out there that feel this way. GRE makes an outstanding product, but Uniden did it in a smaller package.
So, if you didn't get my vote: it is none of the above.
Larry

Stick0413

Premium Subscriber
You didn't put (none of the above) on the poll. I truly think that GRE should have made a scanner the size of the 396. As much as I like both my 96 and 97, they need to be in smaller cases. When I go out, pocket sized scanners fit my lifestyle. I'm sure there are more out there that feel this way. GRE makes an outstanding product, but Uniden did it in a smaller package.
So, if you didn't get my vote: it is none of the above.
Larry

And there are others like me that actually like the bigger case that the 500 (and 96, 97, etc.) comes in. Its a toss up with what size to use because you will please some with the bigger size and please some with a smaller size. Both GRE and Uniden have what works for them in their respective scanners.

Status
Not open for further replies.