PSR 500 Scanlist Order

Status
Not open for further replies.

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
DonS said:
Oh, they're stored in the scanner, all right. They just aren't used anywhere but in the "GLOB" menu.

Not true - when you press a number to enable/disable a scanlist, it gives the name of the scanlist then says "On" or "Off"

It cannot be displayed when scanning because it doesn't sort through scanlists like you might be accustomed to. But having it show when your press a number is still quite handy.

kcoleman

fmon said:
However, it offers no opportunity to alpha tag a scanlist per the question posed by Steve.

You absolutly CAN alpha tag the scanlist. I'm asking if there is an option that allows for the display of this text while scanning.... i.e. as the Bank tags do on the PRO-93, 95, 97, 2055 and I'm suer other radios.

HIP

kcoleman said:
I didn't want to start a new thread about the scanlist since there are a couple already here.

And my apologies if this has been asked before.

I s there a way for the scanlist alpha tag to display during scanning vs. the individual alpha tag per frequency on the conventional scanlist?

Keith,

I aked Gre about this Their reply is listed below,maybe if enough people ask for this they would be gracious enough to include it in a update if it is indeed possible.

This is actually a question that we do get from time to time.

The quick and dirty answer is, once the scanner is scanning, it has no idea what scan list is being scanned!

When you press SCAN, the scanner instantly analyzes all of the stored objects in the radio to determine if they are locked out or not, and whether or not they are members of scanlists that are enabled, then the scanning begins. In this radio, scan lists are merely a tool to help you group your objects so you can browse them easily and enable/disable them by groups. Objects aren't really "in" the scan lists - they are really just in a big "pile" in the radio. So, there's no way the scanner can tell you what scan list is being scanned, unlike older bank/channel designs where each bank is processed sequentially.

Best regards,

Jack
GRE Support Team
http://www.greamerica.com/support

DonS

fmon said:
Yes as in my previous but Dfit ScanList only allows the user to select a scanlist number (hex or dec) as default. However, it offers no opportunity to alpha tag a scanlist per the question posed by Steve.
On my PSR-500, if I hit PGM GLOB, then down-arrow 20 times, my LCD looks like:
Code:
WxPri:       Off
Scan Lists:  SEL
SRCH L/Outs: SEL
Save  Exit  Dflt
If I hit the SEL key while the "Scan Lists" item has the blinking cursor on its ':', I'm taken to a sub-menu where I can drill down into each Scan List and edit its alpha tag.

As rdale corrected me, that tag is then displayed briefly when you enable/disable a scan list in SCAN mode.

n4jri

Premium Subscriber
Alpha-tagging scanlists

Now that we've reestablished that the scanlists are simply a browsing tool for the user, let me reintroduce my own way of making them accessible and user-friendly.

Using Win500, I reserve objects 0000-0022 for list markers. Each of these objects is:

1. Made a conventional object
2. Locked out of the scan
3. Assigned only to the scanlist which matches its object #
4. Alpha-tagged with the scanlist info for whatever list matches its object #.
(0000 identifies unassigned objects, and 21 & 22 are for Favorites & SkyWarn)

Because these object numbers are so low, and because each is assigned to only one scanlist, these will realiably be the first objects you see for each scanlist as you scroll across the lists with the left/right arrow keys.

This makes browsing a snap. Admittedly, it doesn't provide info while the radio is scanning, but it does really help when looking for a particular object.

73/Allen (N4JRI)

rdale

Premium Subscriber
n4jri said:
Admittedly, it doesn't provide info while the radio is scanning, but it does really help when looking for a particular object.

I don't see much advantage over pressing the button and seeing the ID - does it offer something else I'm missing?

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
DonS said:
On my PSR-500, if I hit PGM GLOB, then down-arrow 20 times, my LCD looks like:
Code:
WxPri:       Off
Scan Lists:  SEL
SRCH L/Outs: SEL
Save  Exit  Dflt
If I hit the SEL key while the "Scan Lists" item has the blinking cursor on its ':', I'm taken to a sub-menu where I can drill down into each Scan List and edit its alpha tag.
Ding ding ding...sure enough at 20 down, I quit at 17

wm8s

Premium Subscriber
DonS said:
As rdale corrected me, that tag is then displayed briefly when you enable/disable a scan list in SCAN mode.

Do I have to enable this somewhere? When I enable/disable a scanlist while scanning (I assume you mean by pressing the corresponding numeric keypad key?) I get no display of the scanlist alpha tag.

DonS

wm8s said:
Do I have to enable this somewhere? When I enable/disable a scanlist while scanning (I assume you mean by pressing the corresponding numeric keypad key?) I get no display of the scanlist alpha tag.
The feature was introduced in CPU firmware version 1.2. If you don't have at least that version (the most recent is 1.3), you'll have to get it from the GRE America web site in order to see that functionality.

n4jri

Premium Subscriber
wm8s said:

It only displays momentarily, and it would be easy to miss it. While the radio is scanning, hit a number key and you'll briefly see the scanlist name on the bottom line, accompanied by the word "on" or "off" at the right side of the display, but slightly above where the scanlist appears. This only lasts about a second, and it disappears. Hit the same number key again, and you'll see the list name again when it toggles the other way.

73/Allen (N4JRI)

n4jri

Premium Subscriber
rdale said:
I don't see much advantage over pressing the button and seeing the ID - does it offer something else I'm missing?

The advantage is in scrolling, not in scanning. Instead of going into PGM-GLOB to find the SL# I want, followed by a return to manual and a search for that SL#, I just go straight to manual and scroll through the lists until I see the SL name that I want..and then access that list via the up/down arrow keys.

73/Allen (N4JRI)

wm8s

Premium Subscriber
DonS said:
The feature was introduced in CPU firmware version 1.2. If you don't have at least that version (the most recent is 1.3), you'll have to get it from the GRE America web site in order to see that functionality.

Huh. Scanner's a week old, and it's 2 versions out of date. Upgrading now... Thanks.

rdale

Premium Subscriber
wm8s said:
Huh. Scanner's a week old, and it's 2 versions out of date. Upgrading now... Thanks.

It's probably much older than a week unless you flew overseas to bring it home from the factory :)

Status
Not open for further replies.