PSR-500 Sweeper function

Status
Not open for further replies.

markgfletcher

A question from a newbie on use of the Sweeper function...
I can follow the instructions and get the function to run, "sweeping" the various bands. Problem is, it does not ever seem to "pick up" or "lock" on anything. Even when sweeping the band that contains the local weather frequencies, that I know are transmitting continuously, it does not pick up anything.. Am I doing something wrong?? Are my expectations of what this function is supposed to do incorrect??. Regular scanning seems to work just fine, I pick up all the local police/fire/etc...

Any help for the novice would be appreciated...

scannersnstuff

the sweeper function is not like search.it is intended to pickup nearby radio frequency energy rf <frequencies> within it's range.although they say that this is limited to a few hundred or thousand feet,this generally is not the case.i have picked up frequencies from mile's away.i pickup aircraft on a near constant basis.are all your search sweeper ranges enabled ?. these are shown as the number's 0-9 in the search sweeper window.you can toggle the number's on or off to select the frequency range's you may want to monitor.a good way to check to see if it is working is to take it to a nearby two way tower somewhere by you.sit in the area for a little while and see if you get any hit's.some good place's are your local public safety radio site or a local buisness repeater tower.remember 2 very important thing's.

1.your safety alway's come's first.park out of the way somewhere and be as inconspicous as possible.do not get in the way of public safety official's doing their job,stay out of unauthorized area's.
2.signalstalker does not work in the fm or am broadcast band's like tv or radio.

any more help,pm me.i'll be glad to help you out as much as possible.

markgfletcher

Thanks much...
So the sweeper is looking for signals that are close or quite strong in terms of signal strength.. I did have all of the bands enabled a times but perhaps did not give it long enough for a signal to be close enough to meet whatever threshold of signal strength is required.

I will give you suggestrion a try.. thanks again.

n4jri

Premium Subscriber
markgfletcher said:
Thanks much...
So the sweeper is looking for signals that are close or quite strong in terms of signal strength.. I did have all of the bands enabled a times but perhaps did not give it long enough for a signal to be close enough to meet whatever threshold of signal strength is required.

I will give you suggestrion a try.. thanks again.

The general idea is that if you see someone talking on a radio, you can hit sweeper to find out what frequency they're on. Sometimes, it has considerably more range, but it's meant to work for things in close proximity to you.

73/Allen (N4JRI)

Status
Not open for further replies.