PSR-500 won't decode P25 stystems

Status
Not open for further replies.

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
I'm trying to decode a P25 digital system on my PSR-500. I have all the control channels programmed, I have set the system type to "P25 Auto", but the scanner will not decode the control channel (P25 conventional frequencies work just fine, and it also works just fine on analog trunking systems). When I set the scanner to analyze the control channel, it won't, although the signal strength meter shows a strong signal is present. My PSR-800 and my BCD396XT work just fine on this same system.

The system in question is in Broward County, Florida, listed in the database as, "Broward County Public Safety (Project 25)".

So, I'm thinking it's an incorrect setting I'm missing somehow. I don't need any custom tables, do I? I've checked out everything I can think of.

Swipesy

No custom tables need with P-25 Systems. P25 Auto is correct. Make sure Roam is turned off. I looked at the system and it is strainght forward and your programming looks to be correct. You said you programmed all Control channels. If you did not put Alt frequencies in I would. Other than that it should work just fine.

ScannerSK

I wonder if the scanner is stopping on a control channel with a lot of noise/interference and therefore not decoding? This has happened to me before.

Maybe try manually tuning into each frequency you entered as control channels and listen to hear if just noise/interference is present on one of them and if so remove it.

Shawn

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
Yes, I programmed the active control channels and the alternates. If I manually park on a control channel, the signal strength indicator shows a strong signal present, but no audio is heard. And, the "T" (trunking) indicator on the radio display does not come on. Also, trying to analyze the control channel produces no data. I'm beginning to think the scanner has a defect of some sort.

freqseek

the PSR500 are known to get a broken soldier at the antenna and it is very difficult to get to, to fix. check analogue signals and if the signals are way down from what you normally here or you can't here them, that will be your problem.
I had one of mine repaired twice at a local shop, because of this issue, the tech said I will be back because of the faulty design. I pretty much only use mine as a base now, really love the features, wish whistler would come out with one with the same features with phase2 and DMR and with out this faulty issue.

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
The PSR-500 is also very sensitive (a fault, really). Seems gain is turned up pretty high on them -- thus it's very easy for noise to show up on a frequency that really shouldn't have any noise. If you live in a high RF area, you absolutely could be experiencing some overload/desense.

Turn on the attenuator when monitoring the active control channel in TUN mode and see if it starts displaying the trunked site information.

Mike

ScannerSK

Yes, I programmed the active control channels and the alternates. If I manually park on a control channel, the signal strength indicator shows a strong signal present, but no audio is heard. And, the "T" (trunking) indicator on the radio display does not come on. Also, trying to analyze the control channel produces no data. I'm beginning to think the scanner has a defect of some sort.

This occurs when the scanner locks onto a control channel with a lot of noise present on the frequency. You may have to tune into each control channel one at a time and eliminate the ones with more noise than data.

Shawn

Status
Not open for further replies.