PSR-800 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

CharlieKe

I thought I would start up a new thread on the PSR-800 to see if there is any interest. I have been playing with the 800 for a few days and I am pleasantly surprised. Yes, there are compromises and things I really miss as compared to the PSR-500 or the 996XT, but there are advantages as well. Certainly the 800 will help when traveling through new areas and states, though I am interested in sharing user experiences with the 800 here in CO.

I decided to try it out initially with one large DTRS system containing ALL system primary CCs since it has the memory to do that. I wanted to see how such a setup would work and it actually seems to be working rather well, though I have been out "on the road" only once with it. With this configuration the 800 seems to find and stay with conversations and threads as well as the 500 or the 996, and P25 decoding seems better as has been reported here many times. I have TGs within the one system grouped in several scanlists and scansets and other than having to dig into the menu to turn lists on and off it works well. This is more of an experiment than a long term configuration but such a configuration might be perfect for traveling around the state into new areas.

I agree with others that the biggest drawback is the lack of a keypad for control and direct entry.

If you have an 800 how about sharing your experiences and likes/dislikes.

Status
Not open for further replies.