• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

PSR-800 Even A Cave Man Can Program It

Status
Not open for further replies.

BeerNutz

Premium Subscriber
I remember some years back, Microsoft ask their customers what features they would like in the next version of Windows. 80% of the features ask for were in the current version.

That is me. With a smartphone, laptop, MP3 player, police scanner, or whatever, I use about 10% of the features available.

In the past, just to get basic chatter out of a police scanner, I'd have to lock myself in the house for 2 to 3 days to figure it out. With the PSR-800 you can dig deep into the proramming software and and have it do amazing things and have it lit up like a blinking Christmas tree while doing it.

With the PSR-800, I find out once again, with the effort I want to put into it, I am using about 10% of its features. For basic chatter, I had it going in about 5 minutes. So easy a cave man can program it.

KeyWest35

I remember some years back, Microsoft ask their customers what features they would like in the next version of Windows. 80% of the features ask for were in the current version.

That is me. With a smartphone, laptop, MP3 player, police scanner, or whatever, I use about 10% of the features available.

In the past, just to get basic chatter out of a police scanner, I'd have to lock myself in the house for 2 to 3 days to figure it out. With the PSR-800 you can dig deep into the proramming software and and have it do amazing things and have it lit up like a blinking Christmas tree while doing it.

With the PSR-800, I find out once again, with the effort I want to put into it, I am using about 10% of its features. For basic chatter, I had it going in about 5 minutes. So easy a cave man can program it.
I agree with you 100%. I want to hear the action. I am a retired firefighter and have been listening for 55 plus years. I started with a tunable Hallicrafters. Had Gonset converters in my car and finally a huge Electra battery operated one channel that you carried with a handle. I don't need a scanner that has all of the bells and whistles that some have. I just want to listen to fire and a police channel or 2 and for me the 800 is easy to carry like a walkie and is easier than sin to program even for an old man like me.

bkantor

Also agree - I have over 30 radios and this has become my "go to" radio. I love that I can update the library once a week (for free!) to ensure I have the latest frequencies to listen to (subject to the accuracy of RR of course). When I travel to work in another state, all I have to do is enable another playlist, shut off the local one and I am in business! Additionally, I have found the 800 to be more sensitive than most of my other handhelds, including my Pro-106. Other than battery life (low because I like the screen to be backlit and to quote Beernutz, to see it light up like a Christmas tree!!).
I do like to tinker with my other radios and have keyboard control, but frankly as I get older (and busier), I'm less interested in that than just listening to the action with a minimum of fussing!

Happy scanning all...enjoy the toy!
Bob

Wes

Premium Subscriber
Agreed. My BCD396T stopped working while I was on vacation in Las Vegas. Went over to AES and returned with it to my hotel. After updating the software and databases, I was up and scanning the local fire and EMS agencies within 15 minutes (and that was with fairly significant customization of the channels/talkgroups).

I'm very eager to try this out on my local P25 system (Austin, Texas).

brownlab

Washington DC, Alexandria/Fairfax County /Loudoun
I manually programmed mine out of the box in maybe an hour (after I installed the program on my laptop and downloaded the library). I thought the menu driven programming was pretty intuitive unlike other scanners which can be very hard to program without using programming software. It was only later that I started programming on my laptop and updating the unit that way. I admit I kind of like some of the "bells and whistles" like the flashing lights which I use for fire dispatch.

BeerNutz

Premium Subscriber
I should have put in my original post, the reason why the GRE PSR-800 and Uniden HomePatrol are so easy to program.

Countless peaple using countless hours, searched for and documented frequencies they have found through the years.

A big THANK YOU to anyone who has ever notified RR about changes to systems or uploaded frequencies for the RR database.

Status
Not open for further replies.