PSR-800 Even A Cave Man Can Program It

Status
Not open for further replies.

BeerNutz

Premium Subscriber
I remember some years back, Microsoft ask their customers what features they would like in the next version of Windows. 80% of the features ask for were in the current version.

That is me. With a smartphone, laptop, MP3 player, police scanner, or whatever, I use about 10% of the features available.

In the past, just to get basic chatter out of a police scanner, I'd have to lock myself in the house for 2 to 3 days to figure it out. With the PSR-800 you can dig deep into the proramming software and and have it do amazing things and have it lit up like a blinking Christmas tree while doing it.

With the PSR-800, I find out once again, with the effort I want to put into it, I am using about 10% of its features. For basic chatter, I had it going in about 5 minutes. So easy a cave man can program it.

KeyWest35

Premium Subscriber
I remember some years back, Microsoft ask their customers what features they would like in the next version of Windows. 80% of the features ask for were in the current version.

That is me. With a smartphone, laptop, MP3 player, police scanner, or whatever, I use about 10% of the features available.

In the past, just to get basic chatter out of a police scanner, I'd have to lock myself in the house for 2 to 3 days to figure it out. With the PSR-800 you can dig deep into the proramming software and and have it do amazing things and have it lit up like a blinking Christmas tree while doing it.

With the PSR-800, I find out once again, with the effort I want to put into it, I am using about 10% of its features. For basic chatter, I had it going in about 5 minutes. So easy a cave man can program it.

I agree with you 100%. I want to hear the action. I am a retired firefighter and have been listening for 55 plus years. I started with a tunable Hallicrafters. Had Gonset converters in my car and finally a huge Electra battery operated one channel that you carried with a handle. I don't need a scanner that has all of the bells and whistles that some have. I just want to listen to fire and a police channel or 2 and for me the 800 is easy to carry like a walkie and is easier than sin to program even for an old man like me.

bkantor

Also agree - I have over 30 radios and this has become my "go to" radio. I love that I can update the library once a week (for free!) to ensure I have the latest frequencies to listen to (subject to the accuracy of RR of course). When I travel to work in another state, all I have to do is enable another playlist, shut off the local one and I am in business! Additionally, I have found the 800 to be more sensitive than most of my other handhelds, including my Pro-106. Other than battery life (low because I like the screen to be backlit and to quote Beernutz, to see it light up like a Christmas tree!!).
I do like to tinker with my other radios and have keyboard control, but frankly as I get older (and busier), I'm less interested in that than just listening to the action with a minimum of fussing!

Happy scanning all...enjoy the toy!
Bob

Wes

Premium Subscriber
Agreed. My BCD396T stopped working while I was on vacation in Las Vegas. Went over to AES and returned with it to my hotel. After updating the software and databases, I was up and scanning the local fire and EMS agencies within 15 minutes (and that was with fairly significant customization of the channels/talkgroups).

I'm very eager to try this out on my local P25 system (Austin, Texas).

brownlab

Washington DC, Alexandria/Fairfax County /Loudoun
I manually programmed mine out of the box in maybe an hour (after I installed the program on my laptop and downloaded the library). I thought the menu driven programming was pretty intuitive unlike other scanners which can be very hard to program without using programming software. It was only later that I started programming on my laptop and updating the unit that way. I admit I kind of like some of the "bells and whistles" like the flashing lights which I use for fire dispatch.

BeerNutz

Premium Subscriber
I should have put in my original post, the reason why the GRE PSR-800 and Uniden HomePatrol are so easy to program.

Countless peaple using countless hours, searched for and documented frequencies they have found through the years.

A big THANK YOU to anyone who has ever notified RR about changes to systems or uploaded frequencies for the RR database.

Status
Not open for further replies.