PSR-800 Freezing

Status
Not open for further replies.

wmetech1

Premium Subscriber
I received my PSR-800 on Friday (1/4) and I have noticed two interesting issues. I wanted to throw them out to everyone here before contacting GRE.

1) When using the unit in my car, whilst plugged in to my 2 port cigarette lighter to USB adapter (name brand, not a cheap one) I have had an issue of the scanner freezing up completely. The screen isn't scrolling through scanlists and it's unresponsive to buttons or the squelch knob. I even had it stuck on a frequency one time and all that was coming out the speaker was static, the squelch knob had no effect. The only way to correct this is to unplug the scanner and pop one battery out, then replace and power on. I have not been able to consistently recreate this issue, but it only happens when plugged in in my car and never when plugged in to AC power at home.

2) Once I received the scanner, I swapped out the stock 2GB microSD for a 16GB class 10 Sandisk card and copied the configuration and updated library to the card. As soon as I swapped the card out, I noticed the boot speed and "Preparing... please wait" stage prior to scanning are significantly longer, which I don't understand because the configuration hasn't changed, and if anything I was expecting a faster speed with the higher quality/speed card.

Note: I am using the latest beta firmware (1.7) and DSP (1.3) and Library Version (now 170)

SCPD

QRT
I could be wrong but I thought I read of people having issues after replacing the stock SD card. It sounds like the scanner isn't liking the SD card. I would go back to the stock and use it. Speed isn't really an issue (unless you have every scanlist filled I suppose...)

wmetech1

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the suggestion. I did see the KB article on GRE's support site in regards to that. I haven't followed this procedure yet but it's on my list.

I'm still skeptical that this is what's causing the scanner freezing up though as it's only occurred in the car while plugged in... Any takers?

ratboy

Premium Subscriber
Mine locked up constantly, even after updates and trying another card in it, it still locked up way too much. It was deaf and I didn't like it anyway, so off it went on Ebay. I bought another 106 instead, and I'm very happy with it. Good luck.

IowaGuy1603

Thanks for the suggestion. I did see the KB article on GRE's support site in regards to that. I haven't followed this procedure yet but it's on my list.

I'm still skeptical that this is what's causing the scanner freezing up though as it's only occurred in the car while plugged in... Any takers?

Yea mine has screwed up when plugged into a car usb port too..............I turn it off, turn it back on and it usually works

I also try to carry a second card in my wallet in case a my scanner corrupts (happened TWICE in my work vehicle------never has in my POV) Don't know why, "& don't care, I just make sure I have the extra card with me

Status
Not open for further replies.