PSR-800 library import question

Status
Not open for further replies.

NWI_Scanner_Guy

SCANNING THE AIRWAVES SINCE 1987
I apologize in advance if this question has been asked. Seems to me that I did see it addressed in another thread (I've read so many of the 800 related threads over the past few days), but a search was unable to find it.

Did some programming via the software yesterday, and in one scanlist (#8), I only had two tgid's (the mobile and base tgid's for our local cab company). I had them set to record when active, and everything was going well.

Fast forward to this morning, and I decide to import that entire system (via the SD card in the radio) into another scanlist (#12). Since Friday night / Saturday morning is a busy time for the cab company, I decided to "park" on scanlist #8. Imagine my surprise when I find #8 is empty, and the two tgid's for the cab company in #12 are set to record. I went into the scanlist via the software and "moved" those two id's back to scanlist #8 and all is well again.

So here is my question...Was it just a glitch that caused that to happen, or when importing from the library, will the scanner overwrite / erase a scanlist if it contains any information from that system already stored in another scanlist?

Thanks in advance for any info anyone can provide.

Other than this minor "issue," I'm loving my new 800 so far. It performs just as well as my PRO-106, and in at least one instance so far, it exceeds it. Got a lot more "experimenting" to do before I pass final judgment on it, but so far it definitely is living up to all the hype I've read about here.

Last edited:

NWI_Scanner_Guy

Is it showing up in ScanList 1? That is the default scanlist, just like the 500/600.
Larry

No. The entire system, including the two tgid's I already had in scanlist 8, was imported into scanlist 12 and the tgid's that were in 8 were nowhere to be found.

It was no big deal to open up the software, but I hope it won't be an every time thing.

mikey60

When you import, the software will import everything into the new selected scanlists by default. There are options in the software though that allow you to have it leave those existing talkgroups alone...

Mike

rwier

Mike,

Sound like maybe he wants to do the same with no computer nearby? If so, that's above my pay scale, lol.

Rob

NWI_Scanner_Guy

When you import, the software will import everything into the new selected scanlists by default. There are options in the software though that allow you to have it leave those existing talkgroups alone...

Mike

Okay, so it wasn't a radio glitch then. It's just something that it does. That's good to know.

Thanks for the information. I appreciate it.

:)

Lew

PSR 800 importing Library files

What happened to Saturday update of the library files? I keep getting update 95 dated Aug. 20. I'm lookinf for update 96.

Lew in SC

One13Truck

Feed Provider
I know this is OT, sorry. But I was looking at these tonight to possibly add to my collection. I like the ability to customize the visual alerting which looks like it can create some very interesting displays but otherwise I think I may pass. From what I see the only way to program this is by synching it to a PC. I like doing everything by hand, is there any way to do it by hand or does it have to be by PC? The PC is an issue to. I'm a Mac snob that doesn't want to go virtual. I guess there's no way to use a Mac for all of this? If I'm wrong on any of these please correct me. I guess I can still go with the 500 or 600 but I've heard great things about the 800 and would really like to try it to test it as well.

Did some more digging & answered everything for myself. No 800 for me but I do still like the 500 & the 600 so I'll have to decide if I want to replace the desktop or just add another handheld...

Last edited:

detroit780

Silent Key
Database Admin

You can program it by hand by using the built in RR database and pulling down what you want to listen to into a scan list.

You can run Wine on the Mac and run windows programs and therefore program from the Mac. If you have a newer Mac with the Intel processor you can do a multi boot system and devote a small portion of your HD to running Windows.

Les

I know this is OT, sorry. But I was looking at these tonight to possibly add to my collection. I like the ability to customize the visual alerting which looks like it can create some very interesting displays but otherwise I think I may pass. From what I see the only way to program this is by synching it to a PC. I like doing everything by hand, is there any way to do it by hand or does it have to be by PC? The PC is an issue to. I'm a Mac snob that doesn't want to go virtual. I guess there's no way to use a Mac for all of this? If I'm wrong on any of these please correct me. I guess I can still go with the 500 or 600 but I've heard great things about the 800 and would really like to try it to test it as well.

Did some more digging & answered everything for myself. No 800 for me but I do still like the 500 & the 600 so I'll have to decide if I want to replace the desktop or just add another handheld...

One13Truck

Feed Provider
I did that previously, don't really want to get involved with running clones or going virtual with this one right now. If I really wanted to I could use the laptop but the more I look at this one for as nice as it is the 800 isn't the one for me. I like to actually do all the manual stuff including pushing the numbers and putting the letters in & all that stuff that this programming software bypasses. To me that's just as fun as the scanning.

Don't get me wrong the 800 is a fantastic piece of technology and from doing a few days of research on it I'd certainly recommend it to someone looking for a scanner to buy but it's not my kind of toy. I've narrowed my decision down to the 500 or 600 so I can be more hands on with it with the full keypads. I'm just hoping all the LED alert patterns/colors options are the same for both of those as they are in the 800. I can see myself getting in and messing with those for hours just for fun even if I don't end up using the feature.

TES

. . . I'm just hoping all the LED alert patterns/colors options are the same for both of those as they are in the 800. I can see myself getting in and messing with those for hours just for fun even if I don't end up using the feature.

They are not. A download and read of the manuals for any of the PSR 500 family of scanners will show that the PSR 800 has more tweaks for the alerts.

One13Truck

Feed Provider
That's unfortunate. I saw the manual for the 500 but hoped I was misreading it. I guess I may just leave things be & hold on to my money until the next models come out. Hopefully it's something with the lighting options of the 800 but with more of the design of the 500/600's. Then again I hope they finally give an option to get rid of that blasted amber backlight too. A lot of people say it makes it unreadable but I love my multiple backlight option on my 396XT. I'd love to be able to have the ability of matching the backlight colors to the flashing alert colors.

One13Truck

Feed Provider
Won't let me edit the previous post, been up too long. The white for the 800 is a bit better than the amber but I still wish I had options to change them to other colors.

I still think I may hold off on any new purchases until then next "new thing" is released but the more I look at things as I wait I may add a few $'s a week into the fund to look at the 800 along with the 600. Won't be for a while though so maybe that "new thing" will be out by then. Thanks for the patience answering all my dumb questions. Knowing some of this along with my own research should cut down the learning curve for whichever one I go with in the future. Knowing there's help to be found quickly if I need it till I get used to a Gre is nice too.

Halfpint

Slightly NE of the People's Republic of Firestone
What happened to Saturday update of the library files? I keep getting update 95 dated Aug. 20. I'm lookinf for update 96.

What *I* discovered when I got my PSR-700 was that whilst they *try* to get the updates up in a timely fashion there are times, for whatever reason(s), when they don't. *I* usually wait until Sunday to get them and, so far, have not been disappointed. (I've heard a rumor that they don't actually come directly from RR but, instead, from the GRE servers/site. *Maybe* someone in the `higher-ups' of RR will clarify this? Please?)

Status
Not open for further replies.