PSR-800 Low Headhone Volume

Status
Not open for further replies.

mike_s104

Premium Subscriber
I've tried using the powered speaker in the car that I used to use with my 396T, but even with the volume up all the way, it still sounds a little low. Anyone else think the same? I may just get an amplified speaker with it's own volume control.

Yes, before you ask, the car is a little loud and has a lot of road noise. I am not complaining since it has 330,000+ miles on it, is driving about 100-120 miles a day an was almost flattened from a tree a few years ago. It's more than earned the right to be a little loud. :)

wmbio

Mike I discovered a wiring difference in the output of the headphone jack between the 2 scanner vendors, I believe if you use a 3.5 MM stereo to 3.5 MM mono adapter or vice versus, the output of the jack for the GRE almost doubles in volume.

GRE scanners all the way back to the PRO-97 have the ability to output full volume to the headphone jack. Not sure if you can do the full volume trick with the 800? To test, touch a small thin jumper wire between the common ( Shank ) of the headphone speaker plug and the outside of the antenna connector at the same time, turn up the volume. This bypasses the headphone attenuation that is put there so you do not blow out your ear buds. There are pictures on RR somewhere.

Enjoy
Wmbio

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
I'm really interested in the results. If somebody tries this on the 800, I would be interested in what happens.

rwier

mike_s104;1599781............................................ I'll try the mono adapter when I get home. I'll report my findings. Thanks.[/QUOTE said:
You will like the findings.
Rob

SkyPager

Some scanners have reduced audio out at the phone jack so the mfr doesn't get sued for causing hearing loss. If none of the above work, try wrapping a piece of bare wire from the antenna jack ground (the outer ring) to the ground portion of the headphone jack (large part between tip and body).

tampatracker

I believe if you use a 3.5 MM stereo to 3.5 MM mono adapter or vice versus, the output of the jack for the GRE almost doubles in volume.

Enjoy
Wmbio

I am looking on the Radio Shack website in their audio connecter and adapter section and cannot find a 3.5 MM stereo to 3.5 MM mono adapter. Anyone know what their part number is or where i can find one? TT.[/QUOTE]

rwier

Halfpint

Slightly NE of the People's Republic of Firestone
I've tried using the powered speaker in the car that I used to use with my 396T, but even with the volume up all the way, it still sounds a little low. Anyone else think the same? I may just get an amplified speaker with it's own volume control.

Well... I am going to ask the obvious question that seems that no one has asked... {WAN GRIN!} Have you gone into the software and set the levels for the speaker and headphones under the Volume Settings: category? I've got the `ratio' between the 2 set such that when I disconnect my pillow speaker the radio speaker doesn't blast out and wake SWMBO if I want to take the radio and move out of the bedroom to listen without interrupting my listening. (I have to have the pillow speaker set louder because it actually is under a pillow and is quite muffled otherwise. {GRIN!}) Futzing around with the radio itself to change those settings can be a real PITA at times so I just did it in the software and quit playing with them in the radio beyond basic volume setting w/ buttonpad's up/dn function.

tampatracker

So is the consensus that with the adapter plug in use the audio output is about doubled using a powered speaker? I'm not sure if I read whether that is or is not the case. I ask because I too am disappointed with the performance (volume output) of my R.S. powered speaker when hooked up to my 800. I made the adjustment in the EZ software so the the headphone volume was set to MAX but still am not getting the volume I'd like. I will pick up one of these adapters and post my results as well. :) TT

mike_s104

Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2.1; en-us; ADR6400L 4G Build/FRG83D) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

The volume was the same with and without the adapter. I might try an amplified speaker from Scanner Master.

Status
Not open for further replies.