PSR-800 Manual

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ed_Seedhouse

Premium Subscriber
Just ordered a new PSR-800 scanner last night, but one thing I can say in advance of reception is that it's PDF manual is far far better than the one supplied for my Uniden 346. I actually can learn how to use it before I get it, whereas the html based manual for the 346 was like reading Greek.

One13Truck

Feed Provider
Must just be me then but I have the 396 which I'm guessing wouldn't much different than the 346 and I've never had any issues with the online manuals from Uniden. I have that one bookmarked and go to that one over some of the "simplified" ones that others have made because I think the Uniden ones are better.
I just got done looking at the PSR-800 manual and that confused me completely but maybe if I owned it to have it with me while I read it wouldn't be as confusing. I was looking into adding the 800 to my collection but after researching it I think I'll just go with a 996XT instead. I love the visual alert on the 800 over the 396/996 but otherwise the 800 just won't work for me from what I've seen.

mike_s104

Premium Subscriber
Must just be me then but I have the 396 which I'm guessing wouldn't much different than the 346 and I've never had any issues with the online manuals from Uniden. I have that one bookmarked and go to that one over some of the "simplified" ones that others have made because I think the Uniden ones are better.
I just got done looking at the PSR-800 manual and that confused me completely but maybe if I owned it to have it with me while I read it wouldn't be as confusing. I was looking into adding the 800 to my collection but after researching it I think I'll just go with a 996XT instead. I love the visual alert on the 800 over the 396/996 but otherwise the 800 just won't work for me from what I've seen.

I thought I wouldn't like the PSR-800 either, but I love it. It's UGLY but I still over it. I had it out of the box 2 mins before I knew how to use itt without reading the manual. The recording feature is great; like TiVo for a scanner.

Ed_Seedhouse

Premium Subscriber
Must just be me then but I have the 396 which I'm guessing wouldn't much different than the 346 and I've never had any issues with the online manuals from Uniden.

Well I read at Graduate level and it was and is largely Greek to me. Only the existence of third party software made the thing useable - thank goodness for Freescan!

The html files have no proper search function and this makes the manual basically unusable - I made a living writing web sites and a web site without search is broken. That's what Uniden basically delivers on their CD - a broken web site. And the one on line adds (or did last time I tried) very long delays for no more information.

I don't know what the 800 manual looks like, the mailman hasn't got it here yet, but reading the PDF is sheer pleasure compared to the Uniden 346 manual. It actually starts out by telling you how to use the damned thing, a concept that apparently never occurred to Uniden.

Don't get me wrong, I love my 346 and it works wonderfully now that I know how to use it, and I'm sure that if I could have afforded the 396 I'd have learned to use it with the software as I did with the 346. But that manual is crap, and the "easier to read" online manuals done by a third party, while much better, don't hold a candle to the PDF manual for the GRE 800. Can't afford the 396 or the Home Patrol still, but the GRE is (just) within my financial reach so I should be able to get those P25 local police systems.

Is it as good as the 396 or HP as a scanner? I don't know. But I do know that the manual whups the one for the 346.

Status
Not open for further replies.