PSR 800 power issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

danesgs

OK I am no rocket scientist but I know good batteries from bad ones. I have read the comments about Whistler and the PSR800 having issues with battery contacts and this is not the case here. I have a radio that pretends to drain the batteries but when you turn it back on it shows the same level of battery charge and works fine for about 5 minutes. DSP firmware of something else? It matters not about whether its alkaline or NIMH batteries.

So It works fine on external power USB plugged into the wall socket, will work all day long on external power. So I am guessing its either a setting in the menu or APO power off is set wrong or there is battery setting I am not using correctly! Damn computers....Full speed ahead so to speak and keep the scanner on. Another reason why the last owner know doubt wanted to give this radio up.

Yes I can send it to Whistler for an upgrade at some point and point out the fact it does not stay on and pay 120.00 for a "fix". Uniden is looking more my speed more and more at this point. Plus they have better pricing on Phase 2 APCO 25 Phase 2. I have done my homework on the web and why pay for a 500 dollar radio from a company when I can get the same features for 379.00?

Really? Yeah, really

I have been in this hobby for 40 years and to orphan a really great radio over pricing and "upgrades" to a company is a shame. I will pay the 89.00 for the GPS upgrade for a Uniden. OK I am off my soapbox.

KJ4DGE

DJ11DLN

How old are your batteries and what kind, and are you trying to charge them in the scanner? An external charger will do a much better job. Yes the PSR-800 was known as a battery hog, but later FW updates improved this, and the Whistler upgrade will improve it even more. And Whistler charges $60 to upgrade a radio, not $120. With the upgrade it becomes a very capable radio.

danesgs

new batteries, not the issue of charging them. and yes 80 for the upgrade but if they find a problem its 120 to fix the radio

Status
Not open for further replies.