PSR-800 problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

heineckeg

Received the 800 on Friday of last week. Set everything up the software. No problems. Worked great pulling in stuff my BC246T wasn't. Everything was sunshine and roses.

Last night I loaded in a few new conventional frequencies. This morning I turn it on and take to work. On for five hours and not one transmission. I live in a small town but not that small! It shows that it's scanning and I checked and all the frequencies are there. EDACS systems properly identified. The only thing I occasionally pick up is a conventional channel for Texas Parks and Wildlife and a conventional for Medevac. Otherwise nothing. I'm getting stuff on my 246 so I know it's not the system.

I've checked everything I can think of as far as settings in the software and can't find anything out of place. I'm sure I must overlooking something. I've tried different antennas and checked my squelch setting. Also, I can pick up the weather frequency no problem. I'm about to send it a ticket to GRE but thought I would check here first in case someone else has had this problem. Hopefully I don't have a faulty unit.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Glenn

bkantor

Sorry, but some obvious questions:
- When you added tne new frequencies, did you change the selected scanlists that were active? Perhaps you need to reselect the scanlists.

- How far is work from your home?

- Are you listening in a vehicle or heavily shielded building??

heineckeg

No need to apologize. The scanlists are all enabled and they show up on the readout as it is scanning. Work is closer to the repeaters than home is. I live in a mobile home but the scanner was working fine until yesterday morning. I even tried deleting the conventional freqs that I had programmed when it was still working, but to no avail.

Thanks for your reply......

BeerNutz

Premium Subscriber
I would remove the conventional scanlist from the programming software, then format SD card and reload with original scanlist minus the added conventional stuff.

You may have corrupted your SD card. Not that hard to do with the 800. If scanner begins to work again, add conventional scanlist.

Good luck.

Last edited:

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
PSR 800 SD Card

I would remove the conventional scanlist from the programming software, then format SD card and reload with original scanlist minus the added conventional stuff.

You may have corrupted your SD card. Not that hard to do with the 800. If scanner begins to work again, add conventional scanlist.

Good luck.

I did not know that the PSR 800 SD card could be corrupted. Is this a common problem for this radio? I am thinking of buying one.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
PSR-Problems

If you have the scanner turned on when you try to program the card, you will have problems. It is different than most previous scanners, and one of those situations where you need to read and follow the instructions. The fastest way to program the card is to remove it and use a sd to USB adapter plugged directly into the computer usb port. Programing with the usb cable to the radio is noticeably slower on my system.

rwier

....................................................................................................... The fastest way to program the card is to remove it and use a sd to USB adapter plugged directly into the computer usb port. Programing with the usb cable to the radio is noticeably slower on my system.

Yes agree, ~10x better, for me.

heineckeg

Thanks for the reply BeerNutz. It appears to be a trunking issue. I can also pick up the conventional fire freqs that my fire pager picks up. Just can't pick up any EDACS freqs. I'll double check my trunking setup to make sure everything is in order. If that doesn't work, I'll try reformatting.

Glenn

IowaGuy1603

I did not know that the PSR 800 SD card could be corrupted. Is this a common problem for this radio? I am thinking of buying one.

It is a computer chip...............of course it can get corrupted.

but the nice thing is that the software saves it's configuration----so you can format the chip and start over.

It is not that hard................

IowaGuy1603

Good luck.

Yep ---start with this.....................

The first time I tried adding something I messed up the config.............................I started over and slowly figured out how to make it work

I also make changes on the SD card...............while keeping a copy of what I KNOW works on a second back up card................that way I can go back to a known configuration immediately if I see something not working right. Then I can use the other SD card to try a new config when I THINK I figured out the new way.

As soon as I know the new config is working------I then back it up on my second SD............and have THAT as my new Known working config.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Corruption of computer chip?

It is a computer chip...............of course it can get corrupted.

but the nice thing is that the software saves it's configuration----so you can format the chip and start over.

It is not that hard................

Yes, I am aware of computer chip corruption. I once corrupted an SD card in my computer by not uninstalling the item first. Since I don't own a PSR 800, I really don't know how it operates. But, I can learn to avoid missteps in programming. My guitar tuner has a computer chip in it. Can it be corrupted?

heineckeg

If I reformat the card, do I have to re-download the firmwares and database or is this handled by the saved configuration in the software?

Thanks

Glenn

heineckeg

Problem resolved

I deleted the trunking systems and re-imported them and all seem to be working now. Thanks to everyone for their help.

Glenn

BeerNutz

Premium Subscriber
If I reformat the card, do I have to re-download the firmwares and database or is this handled by the saved configuration in the software?

Thanks

Glenn

The software will save your firmware and saved config. When I was an impatient new owner of the 800, I had to reformat more than once. I should not have said "it is not that hard to corrupt the SD card" as it was my own stupidity.

Nanobot

hi i bought a PSR-800 a couply days ago and only one problem i am having on.
im useing the software appz and in the scanlists page i have many channels
there but there are handfull of channels that i miss importing them there.
yes i know you can delete / remove one at a time but i have too many too do that way.
so is there any way to highlight more than one at a time to delete / remove channels in the scanlists?
i have look in the manual , search but cant found the answer.
hope you guys can help thanks

Ed_Seedhouse

Premium Subscriber
hi i bought a PSR-800 a couply days ago and only one problem i am having on.
im useing the software appz and in the scanlists page i have many channels
there but there are handfull of channels that i miss importing them there.
yes i know you can delete / remove one at a time but i have too many too do that way.
so is there any way to highlight more than one at a time to delete / remove channels in the scanlists?
i have look in the manual , search but cant found the answer.
hope you guys can help thanks

Yes. The application follows pretty much usual Windows conventions. Click on a position tag (first column) to highlight a line. Hold down the Ctrl key when clicking will highlight the current line without removing the highlight from the first item. Holding down the Shift key while doing this highlights all the rows between the and including first and second line clicked on. Once one line is highlighted, Ctrl_A highlight every other line in the list. Any changes you make in other columns are reflected in ALL the highlighted lines.

Also, for conventional channels you can work with a whole bunch of scanlists at once by opening the "Conventional Frequencies" tab.

This is all in the help files but I didn't need them once I figured out the convention that clicking on the POS column highlights a line because after that it acts like almost every other windows application.

Clicking on the top of any column sorts all lines according to that column's content, making it easier to find objects.

Nanobot

Yes. The application follows pretty much usual Windows conventions. Click on a position tag (first column) to highlight a line. Hold down the Ctrl key when clicking will highlight the current line without removing the highlight from the first item. Holding down the Shift key while doing this highlights all the rows between the and including first and second line clicked on. Once one line is highlighted, Ctrl_A highlight every other line in the list. Any changes you make in other columns are reflected in ALL the highlighted lines.

Also, for conventional channels you can work with a whole bunch of scanlists at once by opening the "Conventional Frequencies" tab.

This is all in the help files but I didn't need them once I figured out the convention that clicking on the POS column highlights a line because after that it acts like almost every other windows application.

Clicking on the top of any column sorts all lines according to that column's content, making it easier to find objects.

thank you sir that worked
i really appreciated it the help
I did look in the manuall and
randonly trying to right click evey tab,etc lol

Status
Not open for further replies.