PSR-800 Stock Antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arizona_Scanner

Premium Subscriber
How many of you have ditched the stock antenna? I took a dim view of it right off the bat, and figured it probably was less than optimal for some of my listening, esp. the civilian air band. I had a brand new stock GRE duck antenna (a few inches longer) and threw it on and found even that was better in this band. Not sure why GRE felt a stubby antenna was in order for this unit. Aesthetics? Did they just figure it's a "800mhz world now"?

troymail

Silent Key
I almost always use the RS 800Mhz -- but then again I am almost 100% listening to 800Mhz trunked systems.

When I sometimes switch to the stock antenna there is a noticeable difference in reception.

If I'm playing around in low band VHF (33, 46, 154 Mhz) I'll occasionally use the stock antenna but not always.

Note: this applies to ALL of my radios - not just the 800

BeerNutz

Premium Subscriber
I listen to a 800MHZ trunked system. A $6, 800MHZ antenna I found on E-bay made me one happy drunk.

JoeyC

I haven't ditched the antenna yet, mainly because I am trying my darnest to like this scanner despite the issues I'm having with it. (I'm getting there, using it more its getting a little easier)
I have a feeling that I will eventually buy an 800 mhz antenna for it, but for the size of the tiny stock antenna, I am shocked that I can receive ANYTHING on low band but it beats the other stock antennas I have lying around for CHP reception, amazingly.

SCPD

QRT
I have an update as far as the stock antenna's are concerned .... using a little more consistent setup. I have posted the antenna test fixture for those that are interested.

The "handheld" plot is the antenna being held by the antenna test fixture, and the "stand alone" is the antenna test fixture sitting on a table with no nearby obstructions.

Basically it shows the PSR500 stock antenna is the best .. and the PSR800 stock antenna is the worst.

Attachments

• Stock_Scanner_Antennas.pdf
    478.7 KB · Views: 399
  • IMG_0976.jpg
    IMG_0976.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 1,714

SCPD

QRT
Any chance you can test/chart the Radio Shack 800 Mhz handheld antenna?

Buy me a plane ticket .. and I will be right there to test it for you. :wink:

But in reality I don't own one ... so I cannot test it. I am also in Canada .. so there are no Radio Shack stores here anymore.

Arizona_Scanner

Premium Subscriber
I have an update as far as the stock antenna's are concerned .... using a little more consistent setup. I have posted the antenna test fixture for those that are interested.

The "handheld" plot is the antenna being held by the antenna test fixture, and the "stand alone" is the antenna test fixture sitting on a table with no nearby obstructions.

Basically it shows the PSR500 stock antenna is the best .. and the PSR800 stock antenna is the worst.

Thanks for the work. This does seem to confirm my (much more informal) findings. The PSR500 antenna is definitely the one for me, and the stock antenna is collecting dust somewhere already.

VE6RHS

Diamond RH77 Plot

I use the RS 800 antenna myself. Diamond RH77CA also works well.

I've attached a plot of the RH-77. As expected, it's quite good at VHF and UHF (150MHz & 450MHz). It's got some "funny stuff" happening in the 800MHz band, but not too bad at all.

These plots were run with the antenna atop a soup can attached to an Anristu S331B SiteMaster through about 1m (3 feet) of RG-58. I calibrated the Sitemaster at the connector on the soup can, so any cable and connector effects are null.

The soup can is used to approximate the actual conditions of attaching the antenna directly to the top of a hand-held scanner. Two plots are done, one while holding the "can-tester" in my hand, and the other with the can-tester sitting on a table about 1m (3 feet) away from any objects. This should be a close approximation of the antenna perfomance while being held in your hand, and/or sitting on a table/desk/platform.

Next job is to run 12dB SINAD tests on various scanner models and see which wins the "sensitivity showdown".

Enjoy!

Attachments

• Diamond_RH77.pdf
    126.5 KB · Views: 258
Status
Not open for further replies.