PSR 800 - USCG (marine frequencies)

Status
Not open for further replies.

adams_jb

Feed Provider
:confused:

Good Morning!!

I am going on a cruise from Ft. Lauderdale soon and was looking to take my scanner with me.I have been looking on EZ Scan where to find USCG or other marine channels to program and I am not finding any. I am sure I am not looking int he right place. Can anyone give me some guidance on here to find them??

Thanks in advance

Jason

alanlungs2

Are you planning on listening while on board? Because depending on the ship they may not allow it aboard. Also what cruise are you on? I am sailing on Allure 3. Weeks from today.

radioguru6613

Good Morning!!

I am going on a cruise from Ft. Lauderdale soon and was looking to take my scanner with me.I have been looking on EZ Scan where to find USCG or other marine channels to program and I am not finding any. I am sure I am not looking int he right place. Can anyone give me some guidance on here to find them??

Thanks in advance

Jason

I took my PSR500 on board with me when I sailed out of Lauderdale last year, they get flaky on XRay though, I advised them I'm a ham and it's for monitoring only, after a few minutes all clear. Now lesson learned, USCG operates encrypted, they have their own set of channels that you can find but all will be P25 with AES256 not in the clear, the only place you'll find them in the clear is on the Marine channels which are easily found with a Google search.

I did ID some local channels on board, mostly hotel operations and some ship command and control stuff but I didn't spend enough time to really figure things out as my wife had me put away the toys and join her for her vacation.

Cheers and hope you don't get hit by a hurricane!

troymail

Silent Key
I take two scanners on cruises - never had a problem. I don't make it obvious I have or use them but they always go through X-ray without issue and I have them plugged in and running/recording in the cabin (on on an outdoor desk) the entire time.

ecps92

adams_jb

Feed Provider
Are you planning on listening while on board? Because depending on the ship they may not allow it aboard. Also what cruise are you on? I am sailing on Allure 3. Weeks from today.
We are not going on the cruise until May 2017, we are going on Carnival Cruise Lines

ecps92

FYI - No Guarantee you will get it on-board.
I've been on many cruises and on the last two
a. Been called down to security, ensured them it's RX only
b. Denied boarding, unless I let Port Security secure the radios and get them back upon return.

YMMV - but beware
I'm finding the smaller the better and mix with a laptop or camera

Good Morning!!

Thanks in advance

Jason

ecps92

Not all are ENC, it does vary by Sector and Station, when on the VHF/UHF USCG LMR

I took my PSR500 on board with me when I sailed out of Lauderdale last year, they get flaky on XRay though, I advised them I'm a ham and it's for monitoring only, after a few minutes all clear. Now lesson learned, USCG operates encrypted, they have their own set of channels that you can find but all will be P25 with AES256 not in the clear, the only place you'll find them in the clear is on the Marine channels which are easily found with a Google search.

I did ID some local channels on board, mostly hotel operations and some ship command and control stuff but I didn't spend enough time to really figure things out as my wife had me put away the toys and join her for her vacation.

Cheers and hope you don't get hit by a hurricane!

Status
Not open for further replies.