PSR300/400 Newbie Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

imgoinrcn

Okay, I have a few kind of newbie questions about these two scanners. I think I have narrowed it down to one of these that I will purchase in the near future. I apologize if these have been repeats. I have went through a lot of these threads and still have questions. I'm not new to the scanner world as I grew up with them. My last scanner purchase was the Uniden/Bearcat 200XLT way back when they came out. I moved to Tennessee from Indiana in 98 and really haven't listened since. I obtained a 800XLT and listen to it at home during the day and I'm hooked again. I like the sound but the other traffic that I don't want to listen to drives me nuts but have no choice if I want to listen to Police/EMS/Fire traffic. I asked a few questions and it was decided that I need a new scanner. I have a few questions about my new purchase. I live in the Knoxville, TN area just right outside the city.

1. What difference is between the 300 and 400 besides one being a handheld and the other a mobile/base?

2. Trunking. I kinda know what it is through this site's information. Will I be able to listen to my favorite local Police/EMS/Fire traffic and get rid of those annoying bus traffic that drives me crazy?(short trip).

3. I'm pretty much going to get the PSR300 but since this rebanding thing is going to take place, is it going to make the 300 obsolete and nonfunctioning in a few years?

4. Since this scanner is analog, the 400/500 is digital, is the 300 going to be obsolete/nonfunctional? I CAN'T see myself spending $500 dollars for a scanner.

I can't think of any more questions at this time. I'm sure I'll have more. Sorry if I rambled but the more I read, the more confused I get. Scanners sure have come a long way since the crystal Bearcat from when I was a kid. Thanks for any and all help.

Last edited:

n2mdk

OK lets start with
1, nothing they are really exactly the same it's just the footprint is different and the 400 will have slightly better audio possibly because of it's size.

2 Yes once you have the trunking set up properly the TGIDs you don't want to listen to can be locked out or not programmed depending upon how you set up the radio.

3. It shouldn't be a problem but until rebanding is fully implemented it won't be known for certain.

4 The 500/600 is digital if you want to future proof yourself then by all means go with the digiral

imgoinrcn

Thanks for the help Jerri. I realized I had some typos and corrected them. I hope I got them all...lol. Love to have the 500 but the price is a little high for me. 200 bucks is about what I'd like to spend. I wish my rich uncle would get out of the poorhouse and buy a PSR-500 for me...lol

imgoinrcn

I looked at the database and will be monitoring Knox and Blount counties in and around Knoxville, TN. Knoxville is the 3rd largest city,(population wise, I think). I'm just worried about the future with the 300/400 if the changes that's being made that I will not me able to pick these agencies up. I'm pretty new to this new technology but not new to scanners.

I don't want to buy a scanner and 3 years and have to buy a new one. $500 is a lot to spend on a scanner instead of $200 especially right now. You know, gas, groceries going up my wages isn't. I would have to save longer to get one. I'm sure the 300/400 is far better than the 200XLT that I purchased more than 10 years ago and even better than the 800XLT that I listen to now. I listen to that because the sound is better and so is the reception.

I was wanting the 300 because I can take it with me if I work my other job or if we lose power in a storm, etc.

I know this is a GRE forum but others I was also looking at was the BCT15 and the BC898T from Uniden. I guess with a handheld, you could plug in an external speaker like you would for a CB radio.

My main concern is the future and when the changes are made, will it still be the same functional scanner as it would be now. I hope you understand.

Thanks again for the help Jerri.

If anyone else wants to chime in, that would be fine too.

raisindot

imgoinrcn said:
I don't want to buy a scanner and 3 years and have to buy a new one. $500 is a lot to spend on a scanner instead of $200 especially right now. You know, gas, groceries going up my wages isn't. I would have to save longer to get one.My main concern is the future and when the changes are made, will it still be the same functional scanner as it would be now. I hope you understand.

If anyone else wants to chime in, that would be fine too.

Let's face it: You're going to get a PSR500/600 in the end, no matter how much you try to resist it. We've all been there, trying to rationalize our way out of it, but it's not gonna work. The more you read this forum, the more you get sucked in. So, you might as well break down.

Here are 10 reason why you're going to buy the PSR500/600.

1. Digital. Even if you don't have it in your area, you will soon.

2. The multicolored LED lights. It's like having Christmas on your desk.

3. The software for it is so darned cool. You'll end up getting the PSR500 just to use the software with it.

4. The endless programming possibilities, with 38000 total objects in the 21 V folders.

5. Everyone else around here is getting one.

6. The flashing backlights, the alarms...and did we say the LEDs?

7. The pure coolness of having one. At least among scanner geeks.

8. The sheer pleasure of knowing you're buying something totally frivolous your spouse would totally disapprove of and hiding it from his/her sight.

9. It's really a useful purchase, since knowing everything that's going on with a 40 mile radius of your home or workplace will make you a more intelligent citizen and safeguard America's security. So, buying a PSR500/600 is really a patriotic act. If you don't buy one, the terrorists win.

10. Having one gives you a license to post endless messages here about it.

Suzie

imgoinrcn

Suzi, you're not helping matters are you?? LOL

Trust me, I would rather have the 500/600.

I have an expensive hobby right now other than needing to put money in my truck that I drive to work in.

I race race radio controlled race cars competitively and so far, this season there may not be much because I travel to do this.

Sighs...I'm not in a real hurry to purchase a new scanner so maybe I'll have to wait longer. Wonder what the wife would say/do if I dropped 500 dollars on a scanner...lol

Status
Not open for further replies.