PSR600 Range Queston

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ghawkman56

All,
Given the stock antenna which comes with the scanner, generally, what type of mileage range should be normal in receiving transmissions? Thanks.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
This is a very difficult question to answer, as there are a great many variables involved here. The frequency, height above ground of both the transmit and receive antenna, power output, any surrounding obstacles, sensitivity of the receiver and the type of the antenna - among many others - all play into answering this question.

A little pull up antenna probably will work OK on UHF frequencies and above, but start going lower in frequency and I would wager the efficiency would go downhill pretty fast. Given the addition of it being indoors and your received range gets decreased even further. In general - and there are some caveats that warrant a disucssion in another forum - an antenna nice and high, free of obstructions, will provide the best receiving range...best regards..Mike

rwier

................. height above ground of both the transmit and receive antenna............................................................................best regards..Mike

Absolutely! For me, while driving around town, there is a remarkable difference (handheld, with stock antenna) between lying on the seat, and held up head high. It seems that a poor antenna held up will outperform the world's best lying down.

Rob

satosi

I haven't heard anything farther than 50 miles on VHF low with the stock antenna. This is with the scanner near the window on the second floor of an apartment building.

Mike_G_D

Absolutely! For me, while driving around town, there is a remarkable difference (handheld, with stock antenna) between lying on the seat, and held up head high. It seems that a poor antenna held up will outperform the world's best lying down.

Rob

Given that you are changing polarizations between vertical and horizontal this is to be expected.

-Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.