PSR600 Range Trunk vs. Con.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ghawkman56

All,
I have noticed that when I monitor a trunk system, the range is significantly further than when I monitor conventional frequencies. Is this common?

ScannerSK

Some trunked systems use conventional (analog) frequencies.

The trunked system might be located atop a tall hill, mountain, etc. Typically, I have found weak conventional signals a lot easier to decipher than weak digital signals.

Shawn

Ghawkman56

Thanks

Shawn,
Thanks. Actually, I am not complaining, I am happily surprised with my trunk range, with a small RS antenna in my attic.

RKG

Response in two parts:

1) The listening "range" of any receiver is governed by so many factors, which in the main are exquisitely site specific, that generalities that some might offer are pretty worthless.

2) Many trunked systems are designed so that they repeat user input audio over sites beyond the site that first received that audio, and this is why, for instance, in Massachusetts you can hear a DLE officer in Pittsfield while sitting on a boat in Buzzards Bay. Fact of the matter is that, in Buzzards Bay you are only listening to the radio signals transmitted by a site that is close by, but the system is re-broadcasting from that site traffic that originates over a hundred miles away. So distinguish in your mind the difference between "range to a given transmitter" on the one hand and "range to a given speaking user" on the other; they are often different concepts.

Status
Not open for further replies.