PSRN and Ottawa

Kenny_Johson

Hello , I know my area isn't going to be going to be active for sometime, but I am wondering if anything Like Bylaws and the City Transportation of Ottawa will be moving over to PSRN when the time comes?

rneals

Rosco P. Coltrane
Feed Provider
Hello , I know my area isn't going to be going to be active for sometime, but I am wondering if anything Like Bylaws and the City Transportation of Ottawa will be moving over to PSRN when the time comes?

Unlikely that Ottawa will go on PSRN. The City of Ottawa already has a 2 site 800 MHz trunked radio system with modern P25 Phase II, and with coverage better suited for a more dense city environment than PSRN will have in Ottawa. Simply put, Ottawa is ahead of the province in having a modern radio system

Enjoi19

Premium Subscriber
This is a direct replacement for the FleetNet system, of which municipal services do not operate on. From the government site on the project, here's what this effects:
  • The Ontario Provincial Police's (OPP) front-line officers and dispatchers
  • Ambulance bases, communications centres, paramedics, hospitals and support staff
  • Forest fire services and aviation emergency services
  • Provincial highway maintenance staff
  • Correctional officers, bailiff and transportation staff
  • Enforcement officers (In this case, Ministry of Finance / Natural Resources / Transportation)
  • Ontario Parks staff

I'd say the current system's stretched itself pretty far beyond end of life. The next upgrade will probably be an extremely long time away. When it comes to OPP / EMS, I don't really think cheaping out is an option. Especially EMS, the radios for years in so many spots have been dreadful and often unreadable for listening. It's a gigantic geographical area and a ton of radios to replace. I'm sure it'll be far more than the initial price, but something has to be done to upgrade the state of the system.

Kenny_Johson

Ok thank you. So I wouldn't need to even program PSRN as I'm only interested in OC Transpo and Ottawa city bylaws

Gymbag

Premium Subscriber
This is a direct replacement for the FleetNet system, of which municipal services do not operate on. From the government site on the project, here's what this effects:
  • The Ontario Provincial Police's (OPP) front-line officers and dispatchers
  • Ambulance bases, communications centres, paramedics, hospitals and support staff
  • Forest fire services and aviation emergency services
  • Provincial highway maintenance staff
  • Correctional officers, bailiff and transportation staff
  • Enforcement officers (In this case, Ministry of Finance / Natural Resources / Transportation)
  • Ontario Parks staff

I'd say the current system's stretched itself pretty far beyond end of life. The next upgrade will probably be an extremely long time away. When it comes to OPP / EMS, I don't really think cheaping out is an option. Especially EMS, the radios for years in so many spots have been dreadful and often unreadable for listening. It's a gigantic geographical area and a ton of radios to replace. I'm sure it'll be far more than the initial price, but something has to be done to upgrade the state of the system.
Ontario Parks?????? They aren’t on FleetNet? What makes you think they are going to the new PSRN? Aren’t most parks transitioning from the low band radio freqs to VHF freqs?

rneals

Rosco P. Coltrane
Feed Provider
Ontario Parks?????? They aren’t on Fleetnet? What makes you think they are going to the new PSRN? Aren’t most parks transitioning from the low band radio freqs to VHF freqs?

It's a quote right from the Provincial news release...
"282 additional towers supporting forest firefighters, Ontario parks and Far North communities"

Provincial Parks are likely to have a VHF repeater that provides portable coverage around the park.
It will likely have an IP link from the base station to PSRN (over commercial data circuits), providing centralized dispatch.
Parks will probably have the low end Moto P25 portables. APX 900 or APX N30.
Parks Vehicles are likely to have a standard MNR Mobile that can work on the Park repeater, or the PSRN regular sites as needed.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Base stations are just VHF mobiles at the Park Office. They've never had centralized dispatch and have no need for it.

Enjoi19

Premium Subscriber
Park's may also have just received money to fund their upgrades from the money allocated to the PSRN project. My bullet points were copied from the government site I linked.