PSRN General Discussion

mapleradio

I see OPP is testing off Charlton some kind of push button... Talkgroup OPS38? -- I'm getting a very poor decode... anyone else see this activity? it began around 1:50pm ET.

webstar22

RenfrewCountyScanner.com
Feed Provider
Does anyone know, has there have been any buildouts in Eastern Ontario at all?
I have not been scanning to even notice. Where should I start?

mciupa

Canadian DB Admin
Only in Fenelon Falls, if you call that Eastern. No one else has reported any findings to us.

Start searching between 141 to 144 MHz. The system ID should be AD. Any voice frequencies will be TDMA, showing the different slots used when transmitting.

rneals

Rosco P. Coltrane
Feed Provider
Only in Fenelon Falls, if you call that Eastern. No one else has reported any findings to us.

Start searching between 141 to 144 MHz. The system ID should be AD. Any voice frequencies will be TDMA, showing the different slots used when transmitting.

Did a scan for new control channels tonight from Kawartha Lakes.
Here's what I see and can verify at an RF level I can decode.
I see only Pontypool and Sunderland running old and new control channels in this neighborhood.
Nothing in Zone 2, although I did observe the test of PSRN Fenelon some days ago.

142.170 -50 dBm - PSRN Pontypool Site RFSS: 001 SITE ID: 038 (001-038) System ID AD9 WACN: BEE00 NAC: AD8
142.440 -62 dBm - Fleetnet Zone 2 Cobourg (Observed 2OPS39 Northumberland traffic)
142.530 -70 dBm - Fleetnet Zone 2 Apsley (Observed Lindsay CACC traffic)
142.590 -47 dBm - Fleetnet Zone 1 Pontypool (Observed Oshawa CACC traffic)
142.605 -34 dBm - Fleetnet Zone 2 Fenelon (Observed with Lindsay CACC traffic)
142.650 - 63 dBm PSRN Sunderland System Site RFSS: 001 SITE ID: 026 (001-026) System ID AD9 WACN: BEE00 NAC: AD0
142.800 - 43 dBm - Fleetnet Zone 2 Peterborough ( Observed with Lindsay CACC traffic)
142.950 -70 dBm - Fleetnet Zone 2 Haliburton (Oberserved 2OPS27 Muskoka traffic)
143.100 - 55 dBm - Fleetnet Zone 1 Sunderland (Observed Oshawa CACC traffic

Screenshot from 2024-04-11 01-03-34.png

RS5209

Doesn't play well with others
Hi:

Does anyone know what the 24XXX talkgroups might be? They are encrypted. Heard
them off the Kitchener site.

rneals

Rosco P. Coltrane
Feed Provider
Audio seems to be a lot cleaner than the old MOH on FleetNet.

The gray line on this chart is Analog Audio Quality, which was the old MOH/MTO system.
Blue line is P25 Audio Quality

Screen-Shot-2014-12-22-at-3.44.41-pm.png

rneals

Rosco P. Coltrane
Feed Provider
If you look at this press release, it seems like the terms are interchangeable.

Ontario Investing $765 Million to Build New Public Safety Radio Network | Ontario Newsroom

Reading that press release, and while I'm no English scholar, it seems like:

PSRN = The entire radio system, all encompassing, including sites, mobiles, VRs, portables and consoles and all the control and fiber/microwave network.

LMRN = The network's core infrastructure — as well as support antennas, servers and data centre equipment, which together will provide essential public safety radio coverage across the province.

exkalibur

Premium Subscriber
Reading that press release, and while I'm no English scholar, it seems like:

PSRN = The entire radio system, all encompassing, including sites, mobiles, VRs, portables and consoles and all the control and fiber/microwave network.

LMRN = The network's core infrastructure — as well as support antennas, servers and data centre equipment, which together will provide essential public safety radio coverage across the province.
The MoC TETRA system is also considered part of PSRN, so I'd bet PSRN is the umbrella project with LMRN being the P25 radio system and its accoutrements. Keep in mind there's also an MNR compliment to PSRN for their low band system, though it's not obvious what that'll be.

rneals

Rosco P. Coltrane
Feed Provider
The MoC TETRA system is also considered part of PSRN, so I'd bet PSRN is the umbrella project with LMRN being the P25 radio system and its accoutrements. Keep in mind there's also an MNR compliment to PSRN for their low band system, though it's not obvious what that'll be.

You're right - Here's the relevant parts of that release. Even more names. We're going to need a family tree of Ontario radio systems.

The Facilities Radio Network project supports the delivery of the Corrections and Youth Justice Radio Network – the key communications system in the province’s correctional and youth institutions. When complete, the network will provide a digital solution that is fully encrypted and scalable to provide secure communications for all users well into the future. Coverage will be enhanced throughout each facility, covering over 6,000,000 ft², and supporting over 8,000 corrections and youth justice employees.

The Facilities Radio Network is a key component in Ontario’s Public Safety Radio Network project which provides the communications infrastructure, network and equipment frontline and emergency responders need when responding to emergencies or to support their day-to -day operations.

EJB

20 + year membership
I'm really curious if anyone in the Hamilton area has heard anything on PSRN. I've done everything correct to get it to work.

There was an OPP call that requested MTO to the scene. Absolutely nothing. I have a perfect signal for the Hamilton tower and when I hook my radios to my outdoor antennas I get Brantford..

I have heard nothing and I'm recording.

I feel like a newbie, is anyone in the area able to hear anything?

exkalibur

Premium Subscriber
I saw techs at Bronte Creek PP on the tower on site. There appeared to be OPP present with them. -- Would they be included in the PSRN-Facilities Radio project?
Likely. PSRN documents did mention MNR upgrades though the extent of that isn't known. A lot of parks have been going VHF P25 over the last couple of years so that might be the end game.