• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

PTT ID question

Status
Not open for further replies.

steveforgues

I'm looking to purchase a mobile radio to put in my truck for response to fire dept calls. Anyways, I'm looking at the TK-790 and the TK-7180. One of the requirements is that I have PTT ID. I understand a fair amount about radios, but am no expert. From my understanding, you have to have a board added with some radios in order to have this feature. So my question is, do either of these radios need a board to have PTT ID and if so, what board/part# do I need?

Thank you in advance for any info you can provide.

W7FDX

Premium Subscriber
Some of the newer 7180s do have the PTT ID built in without a option board providing it has the up to date firmware I believe its version 1.22 and whoever is programming it has the newest software version 1.61. Which if you take it to a dealer to get it programmed they should be able to update it for you if it does not have the updated firmware.

Last edited:

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
You also need to specify what signalling type you need to use with PTTID. Out of the box, the 7180 is configured for FleetSync. You can switch to MDC1200 if you have firmware 1.22 or newer (firmware version numbers are not the same as the software version number, as WVFC80 said).

If you need something other than FS or MDC, you will probably need an aftermarket board.

W7FDX

Premium Subscriber
Seeing that I just seen he is from Kingston, PA which is somewhat close to where I live and I can usually pick them up and they use MDC 1200.

Last edited:

W7FDX

Premium Subscriber
Then the 7180 with the updated firmware would be your best bet. I recently picked up a 25w model brand new for $200. Unless your open to other Kenwood models that cost a bit more then I would recomend the NX-700 or the NX-720 they also have MDC 1200 with the added ability to do NXDN digital. I own a NX-700H and am very happy with it.

Last edited:

steveforgues

Getting a new one from an authorized dealer would be nice because of the warranty, but wouldn't object to getting a used one. I have purchased radios in the past off of eBay, but my Deputy Chief just warned me that there have been a lot of stolen Kenwood radio's being sold on eBay and other online auction sites. Apparently Kenwood has a database of most if not all the serial numbers that dealers/service centers can access to check. Seeing how I'm also a police officer, I certainly don't want to be buying a stolen radio.
WVFC80, might I ask where you got it for $200. Dealers I've found online are showing over $500. I don't want to be spending that much, or the wife would do very unpleasant things to me.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
TK-790's won't do MDC without an add on board. This was a deal breaker when we were replacing our PD radios. Ended up going with the TK-5710 to get the built in MDC capability, among other things.

One of the drawbacks of MDC on Kenwood radios is that they only allow one MDC ID for the radio. On most of the Motorola stuff I've worked with, they let you add different MDC ID's. Probably not an issue if all you need is a single ID.

Status
Not open for further replies.